Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #16
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Yes, I have tried rebooting the Nook after recharging. It didn't help. I was very disappointed because I thought it would. But I agree that it would be worth trying again. The thing is, unless rebooting fixes it permanently, it's actually somewhat easier to top it off.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #17
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
I found mine that it took a few cycles for calibration of the battery life indicator to even out. At this point, I charge it about every 4 weeks. At that point it's usually down to around 30-40% depending on usage.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #18
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
I went on a 3 week holiday with my Nook and didn't bring the tiny charger cable, because past experience tells me that it will last for longer on a full charge. Do I regret it or what?

I'm not sure if it's the cold weather that drains the battery quicker than it should. I carry it around in a normal canvas bag during the day, and was reading it 3 hours on average daily (with more on some days during longer train rides). Towards the end of the second week, it was showing 59% which was decent, but the screen froze in the middle of the third week. Turns out the battery was flat, and I was not even reading as frequently (why? blame Amsterdam).

Fortunately I had some books on my iPhone so I was re-reading them, or I'd go crazy.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just want to update this thread with some more results with my misbehaving Touch. I have been using it for over a month, after topping it off, as I mention above. It has been dropping about 3%/day during that time, sleeping or in use, which is about what you should expect.

I just recharged it using the charger from 27% up to 100%. After one night of sleep, it was down to 91%. So you can see that when you get a Touch that acts like this, it does not straighten itself out after a few charges. I keep being disappointed when it doesn't, but that's the way things are. I am now charging it from 91% back up to 100% with it tethered to the computer. As I have said, this should fix it for another month or so...
Old 12-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #20
kevn57
Connoisseur
kevn57 began at the beginning.

Device: Moonreader+
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Just want to update this thread with some more results with my misbehaving Touch. I have been using it for over a month, after topping it off, as I mention above. It has been dropping about 3%/day during that time, sleeping or in use, which is about what you should expect.

I just recharged it using the charger from 27% up to 100%. After one night of sleep, it was down to 91%. So you can see that when you get a Touch that acts like this, it does not straighten itself out after a few charges. I keep being disappointed when it doesn't, but that's the way things are. I am now charging it from 91% back up to 100% with it tethered to the computer. As I have said, this should fix it for another month or so...
RAH Sorry to hear you're still having problems with your battery, my second unit works great and I'm glad I brought it back when I did. The new unit doesn't seem to use any power when it's in sleep and uses about 1% per hour as I'm reading which I'm very happy with. Also when I returned it they gave me a gift receipt which the clerk said I had 60 days to return it if I have any more problems.
kevn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #21
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryvyan View Post
I went on a 3 week holiday with my Nook and didn't bring the tiny charger cable, because past experience tells me that it will last for longer on a full charge. Do I regret it or what?

I'm not sure if it's the cold weather that drains the battery quicker than it should. I carry it around in a normal canvas bag during the day, and was reading it 3 hours on average daily (with more on some days during longer train rides). Towards the end of the second week, it was showing 59% which was decent, but the screen froze in the middle of the third week. Turns out the battery was flat, and I was not even reading as frequently (why? blame Amsterdam).

Fortunately I had some books on my iPhone so I was re-reading them, or I'd go crazy.
It could be the cold. On a recent trip to Alberta I left my nook touch in the car overnight, and in the morning it showed no battery, though it had more than 50% the previous night. I put it in the charger, and it quickly went up to more than 50%, so it looks like the battery gauge may be off in cold conditions.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #22
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I've had my Nook STR since Tuesday and notice that after I charge up that 24 hours later it has gone from 100% charged to 81% in sleep mode without reading on it at all.

When I had a Nook Classic, I found that the battery lasted much longer if I turned it off between readings. Hate to think they didn't do something to improve battery life in sleep mode when they came out with the Nook STR.

I will follow some of the advice here and let the charge go down much further before re-charging. I normally hate to have a charge on my Nook or Kindle go below half.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #23
RAH
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I've had my Nook STR since Tuesday and notice that after I charge up that 24 hours later it has gone from 100% charged to 81% in sleep mode without reading on it at all.
Your symptoms are exactly like I have, as I've described in detail above. So, I would try my recommendations on how to get around the problem.

As far as not letting your Nook get below 50%, I don't understand this idea. If you have a device that is supposed to last say a month, why charge it every 2 weeks?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #24
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Well, first post on the forum, but I have to chime in with my bum battery Nook touch as well. I just got it as a present for Christmas (actually Christmas eve). On the first full charge it lasted about a week, wierdly.

It wasn't noticably discharging in sleep mode, at least if it was, only a little. I had it down around 78% reading probably 2-3hrs a day and lots of tinkering (creating shelves, playing around in settings, shooting through page turns, doing dictionary lookups), probably hammering a lot more than normal. Then Friday night I plugged it in to my computer to load up a few more books (I had it plugged in maybe 15-20 minutes initially after the first full charge to side load some content on to the SD card).

Well, it gave me a 0% battery warning. I don't know what the charge level was earlier in the day, but the night before I was down around 78% before going to bed after 6 days of moderate reading and lots of playing around. It refused to power on until I charged it, but it charged to 100% in about an hour total from the charger...which seemed way too short for a full charge with BN saying 3-3 1/2hrs for a full charge.

Over the long weekend I used it heavily, mostly reading, and it burnt through a claimed 100% charge in 3 days (dead, or effectively so last night). With that 100% charge Friday night, it was also around 88% Saturday morning, around 68% Saturday night, 54% Sunday morning, 38% Sunday night, 26% Monday morning and 8% when I plugged it in to my computer last night to rearrange my ebook collection. As soon as I plugged it in, the screen flashed 0% charge again. This time around though it took about 2 full hours to reach max charge, though it remained plugged in most of the night to the charger as it was at 91% when I checked after 2hrs and went to sleep at that point (I figure it sipped about 6-8 minutes of charge plugged in to my computer on top of the 2hrs of charging and if it was really at 8% rather than 0%, that is a lot closer to 3hrs of charging than the 1hr previously). It was on a timer for the charger, so it really powered "off" the charging at around 3-4am and around 5:15am it was at 99% when I powered it off per the BN forums suggestion in the battery issues thread.

After just checking (as I write this) it is at 96% charge. I spent about 15 minutes on my lunch hour re-doing all of my shelves (11 of them and about 150 books on the various shelves, so lots and lots of screen changes/refreshes). It has only been on/sleeping since around 11am, so about 5 1/2hrs now. It was at 96% IIRC when I put it to sleep after setting up all of the shelves (it claimed 98% when it booted up) and it was deffinitely at 96% when I checked around 2:30. I don't feel like it is enough time to really get a feel for if the battery life issue is continuing; however, the performance over the weekend saw something like a 2% per hour battery discharge when not in use (about 3-4% per hour when in use reading). So far at most I've seen 2% battery discharge in 15 minutes of intensive use and 5 1/4hrs of standby if we go with the 98% baseline.

Fingers crossed that the worst I have to do is reboot it after charging fully to give me acceptable battery life. I don't need the claimed, all I need is basically 2 weeks of reading 1hr a day as a minimum. What would make me happy would be those 2 weeks at 2hrs a day.

A question, those with the battery life issues, are you using a micro SD card, either in the nook and/or with content stored on it? I do have one (and have since about 5 minutes after unboxing), but I am curious as to whether there is some issue with the micro SD card causing bad battery life.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #25
Huey4prez
Huey4prez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
A question, those with the battery life issues, are you using a micro SD card, either in the nook and/or with content stored on it? I do have one (and have since about 5 minutes after unboxing), but I am curious as to whether there is some issue with the micro SD card causing bad battery life.
I had a microsd installed with only sideloaded books. My battery went from a full charge to completely depleted in ONE day WITHOUT me touching it. It died in sleep mode. I have had it for only a month a half. This has already happened three times, just not as fast as dying in one day. That was the final straw. The resetting after a full charge worked at first, but then it stopped! I'm a technophile and know my way around electronics extremely well, I just couldn't figure this one out. I finally took it back to Target today. It really sucks, because I loved it soooo much. The battery was atrocious though. Plus, I had lucked up and gotten one that still came with the power adapter.

I am headed back to Amazon. Which sucks, as B&N clearly had the best hardware this round...
Huey4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #26
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am at least going to give it a shot on an exchange (hopefully for a new unit). Part of what worries me is that the battery was completely flat out of the box, which makes me think a bum battery. The battery gauge is also the most innaccurate thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

There still seems to be some drain going on for me, even with reseting after a charge, but not as bad. It is hard to tell though.

Last night I checked at about 8:30pm, the battery reported as 93%, then 5 minutes later when I "double checked" it was to 96% again. I checked again at around 10:30pm and it read 95%. I went to sleep, woke up and checked it at about 6:30am and it read 91% for about 3 seconds and then flashed 71%. Crap. I checked it again right before leaving my house 5 minutes later and it read 70%. I got in to work a few minutes ago, checked it again and it read 70% for a second, and then back to 91%.

The temperature variation on the device can't be more than maybe 2-3F at any point in checking it (with the exception that checking it after getting in to work it might have been a little cooler without having fully warmed from having been in my brief case in a cold car for a 15 minute drive).

So to a degree I am willing to chalk it up to a horribly innaccurate battery meter to some degree, so long as there appears to be no significant drain continuing. I am going to try topping it off on my computer tonight both to go in to my 8 day vacation (starting tomorrow) with a full battery charge, and see if topping off on a computer combined with a reset/power off does anything (maybe even simply recalibrates the battery meter a little more?).

If I still seem to have bad drain (battery not lasting the length of the vacation) than I am going to try to exchange it the weekend I get home and hope they will do that (it was a gift and I don't have the gift recipte, I stupidly threw it out) and hope I have better luck with the next one.

If I just can't get the battery to work properly than, I also am going to be stuck going with a Kindle. I dislike that because I also generally like the hardware on the nook touch better, with the exception of these battery issues, and generally like the interface/OS/Software on the nook better as well (I'd change a few things, but mostly I like it).

Having 3GB of user accessible storage (without needing an SD card) and a working battery would be nice. I'll miss the physical page turn buttons, shelves, fast paging and slightly smaller size/weight though (I also HATE having a power button on the bottom of the device, I know darn well I'll end up powering it off plenty of times by accident reading on it). I NEED something that is going to last more than a week on a single charge though.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #27
RAH
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
I haven't noticed any difference whether I have a card in it or not.

I urge you to try to "topping off" method I mention above. As I said, it has overcome the problem on the 2 Touches I have had. It is a pain to have to do that, of course, but it does work. Topping off with the computer (tethered) seems to work better than topping off with the charger. I have never had the Touch continue to drain quickly after I have topped it off with the computer from say about 85-90% back up to 100.

The reason I have been using this technique of charging it to 100% in the afternoon and then let it sleep all night and then checking it in the morning, is so that I'll know if it finally fixes itself. If it is down to 88 or 90% in the morning I know I have to top it off. So far, I have had to do this, but after doing so I get about 1 month of usage without any draining problem till the next go around.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #28
azazel1024
Groupie

I'll certainly give it a try tonight (topping off with my computer). Anyone else notice, either with a working nook, or else with one that works with a temporary fix, that the battery gauge still seems very innaccurate and/or temperature sensitive?

As I noted above, it was swining wildly. Well I just checked it and it went from 91% first thing in to work this morning up to 94%. I wonder if some of it is still the device calibrating its battery remaining gauge.

I know a potential vast difference in hardware and/or hardware quality, but my iPad 2 seems to have no issues figuring out how much battery it has left. The most swing I'll see is if I plug it in to charge it, sometimes it'll jump 1 or 2% within a few seconds of having plugged it in. I haven't done any temperature extremes, but battery life doesn't change if the ambient temperature changes 10-20F at any rate and drain rate seems pretty consistent as well. Only "issue" is it tends to hang at 100% for a little longer than it does at other battery percentages. I tend to get about 45 minutes of video with 30% screen brightness before the battery gauge will drop or about 20 minute of browsing or game playing. After that it drops about 6-9% an hour depending on what I am doing (video and reading the least, gaming and web browing the most).

Just seems odd that BN couldn't figure out a good algorithm or voltage monitor to accurately gauge battery charge status.

As a final (for now, I think) note, as I mentioned earlier, I am going to be happy enough if I can get the battery to last a full week with at least an hour of reading a day between charges, but really I'd like 2+ weeks at an hour a day. I can live with needing to top it off either with the wall wart or even computer if that is what it takes to get the battery to last. As mentioned, annoying, but if the battery lasts a long time after that, its not like I have to do it frequently. I like the nook enough otherwise to keep it if I can scrape that bare amount of battery charge. It'll deffinitely leave me wondering if I want to get a future BN ereader product without doing some heavy research in the first few months after release on battery drain issues with a new one.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #29
RAH
Guru

One thing I have noticed is that after topping it off, it will often stay at 100% for 3 or 4 days, in use or sleeping.

So it goes from being terrible (draining 10% or more every day) before the top-off, to being better than it should be (staying at 100% for 3 or 4 days) after the top-off. Go figure. After it starts to drop, it drops about 2 or 3% every day, in use or asleep. So, in other words, it is great. I then let it get to below 30% (usually around 26%), recharge it with the charger to 100% in the afternoon, let it sleep all night, check it to make sure it is still doing its draining thing, and then top it off to 100% with the computer. And off we go again.

I agree that it is pathetic that B&N cannot get this to work correctly. Enough people are having this problem that it must be a real flaw somewhere.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #30
azazel1024
Groupie

I've been thinking that as well (that BN either isn't coming up with a fix, or something to that effect). Looking at the BN forums, there are the better part of 100 odd people discussing it in the main thread, plus some on here and some other places. Following the general business rule of thumb, if 100 people are talking about the issue, there are probably at least 1000 people with the issue that have raised it to BN directly either through returns, in store, online or over the phone reporting of the problem. I don't know how many nook touches BN has sold at the moment, but lets just say a million have sold, 1,000 with this problem is a fairly significant blip on the radar, even at just .1%.

Since some people have done 2 or 3 returns and each one has the issue, I'd wager is is probably well over 1% of the devices with the issue. So if it is something on the software end of things, I'd think they'd either be tracking it down or have fixed it by now and if it is on the hardware end of things, I'd think they'd also have tracked it down and fixed it in upstream manufacturing by now. Just seems kind of inexcusable to have a seemingly wide spread major issue like this a good 6+ months in to the product's life cycle.

PS Just checked, battery indicator went from 94% for half a second to 95%. *sigh*, hopefully simply recharging and rebooting licks it for me as that is easier than topping off and hopefully the battery indicator settles down over time. As much as it is jumping around I just don't trust it to even be midly accurate right now until it can prove it has about as much charge as it is claiming. If it is, great, I am willing to accept a 4-5% discharge in a little over 24hrs with about 2% drained from some heavy short use, 1-2% drained while there may have been the drain issue before rebooting after having charged an hour or two before rebooting and maybe 1% drained from obsessively checking the charge indicator about every hour all day today and yesterday.