Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #61
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latch View Post
I also updated via WiFi. I knew the update was available so I hit Sync and then it offered me the update.
I also updated via wi-fi. I actually didn't know it had been released and just happened to be checking something else when they pushed it (no announcement had been posted at that point...)
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #62
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
The % read indication in the Library list is way too small and faint to be useful. Are the developers actually looking at their work on the Kobo screen, or just developing on their desktop systems?
it's actually darker than it was originally was, just a slight ghosting; most of us that commented on it during testing thought it looked fine once they darkened it up a bit; actually, I don't think I saw any negative comments after.

Personally, I can see it fine sitting here with the kobo a couple feet away on my desk , on an off angle, that I have two unread, one at 1%, one at 31% and one at 83% read... and I have bad eyes and am in need of a new prescription
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #63
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
it's actually darker than it was originally was, just a slight ghosting; most of us that commented on it during testing thought it looked fine once they darkened it up a bit; actually, I don't think I saw any negative comments after.
Well you're seeing a negative comment now. It's the faintest thing on the Library page. Sure you can read it in good light. But there was no good reason to make it fainter than the rest of the text, and they could easily have added a graphical representation that would have been even clearer.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #64
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
No major problems yet, but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
... plus when I select the heart icon in books mode to add to the shortlist, it always jumps back to page one of the library afterward...
Yep, I discovered this today after I upgraded to the new firmware. While this may not be a big issue - I haven't encountered any of the big issues other users here have found, luckily, tho' I feel for them! - I have 750 books on the reader and to go back through every screen to get back to where I was is a pain in the... bum.

As was asked by another poster here, is there a way to remove a previous search from "search inside the book"? I love that new feature, but I don't need to search for "Pemberley" inside a Kim Harrison novel.

And finally, the new update said one of the new features allows you to post to your facebook account, but I can't find a way to do that through the Kobo reader. Anyone know?

Thanks so much for reading, it's my very first post despite being a lurker for 1 1/2 months.

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 09-29-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: unneeded ? mark
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #65
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I have a similar issue with the library list going back to the first page after I change the book to status to finished which is a total pain. I only have about 100 books on my Kobo and even that is too many to manage when you have to keep paging through the library. If I was confident that I would only ever need to do this once I wouldn't mind but I have lost count of the number of factory resets I have needed to do in the past 2 months.

One of the reasons why I purchased an ereader was so that I could carry ALL my books around with me but I'm finding it more practical to only have a few books on the Kobo and use my iPhone for casual reading.

Last edited by HarleyB; 09-29-2011 at 05:50 PM.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #66
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Originally Posted by Tangent
Quote:
... plus when I select the heart icon in books mode to add to the shortlist, it always jumps back to page one of the library afterward...
We noted this when we were beta testing, but the team may have overlooked it (or it could be weirder to fix then one would think). Kobo folks promised it would be fixed in the next build.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #67
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi.

Today I ran into the disappearing Reading Life information, I had read 14 books and now it says 4, removed the % of my "Library Read" back to 0%, and wiped out bookmarks in many of the other sideloaded books. By my calculations, really going back through each of the 800 books (I thought there were only 750) and remembering which ones I read, there should be 14 - and those 14 are marked as finished.

Yeah, it's not a big deal compared to the more serious one of the micro SD cards no longer being read that some are having, but I'm wondering now if this is just the beginning of problems like that.

My husband has refused to do the latest update until these issues are fixed - he writes software for a living and knows how buggy it can be. He's trying to reassure me that these things will probably be fixed in a new update.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #68
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I often wonder if how we load our readers--what kind of files and the origins of such files--is in anyway related to the kind of problems that start to show up. I think the beta testers tend to not run devices filled with a hodge podge of books (from dubious sources, or otherwise). All of that version testing and wiping shtuff is just easier if we're not worrying about 800 or a zillion books or syncing huge numbers with the kobo server, either.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #69
VirgoGirl

Yeah, but, if people have those things - books from dubious sources and/or a zillion books on the reader - and from just reading this site it seems that many, many people do, then it seems odd that these things are not taken into account. If the Kobo is heading towards being only a reader for Kobo downloaded books, I can't see it lasting on the market.

I'm getting more and more ticked off at this latest update. Reading Life keeps resetting itself, losing my progress in my current book and arbitrarily choosing a random number as the number of books I've finished. If I turn on the wireless and sync it, it resets the "Books Completed", but the book progress is lost. I don't want to sync it on every startup.

I realize I'm harping on the Reading Life issue, and you have my apologies for beating a dead horse, but I haven't delved any further into this firmware update. I don't even want to pick up the Kobo, thinking of switching my current read to the ipad, glare and all.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #70
unaj41
Enthusiast
unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaj41 View Post
One issue I see: Reading Life > Reading Stats: my "In progress" book shows correctly only the percentage completion, but minutes, hours, pages now all show 0.
"Completed" section got also zeroed out: "Books Finished = 0", "0% of your library is completed" ....
UPDATE: Reading Stats don't work at all after the update: every time the device is powered off ALL the stats (except the percentage completion of the current book) zero out ...
unaj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #71
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
And finally, the new update said one of the new features allows you to post to your facebook account, but I can't find a way to do that through the Kobo reader. Anyone know?
Looks like it only works on kobo books. From within the book it's under the menu (ie beside the dictionary icon).

The option isn't there for side loaded books.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:21 AM   #72
Shankill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaj41 View Post
UPDATE: Reading Stats don't work at all after the update: every time the device is powered off ALL the stats (except the percentage completion of the current book) zero out ...
I think it's more than that. I've finished two books since the update, and my number of finished books is still sitting at 35, the same from before 1.9.11.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:22 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
Kobo Touch Firmware 1.9.11 has been released.

• Share book on Facebook
• Search within a book
• Low-battery warning
• Book progress available in Library
• and more...

Special thanks to the beta testers for their feedback!
Is the embedded font bug fixed?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:03 AM   #74
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I often wonder if how we load our readers--what kind of files and the origins of such files--is in anyway related to the kind of problems that start to show up.
Personally, I think that Calibre with its myriad of options and its bad UI (IMHO) is one of the biggest wrongdoers...

People are converting and changing their ebooks like there's no tomorrow. I mean there is no choice to convert a book from .azw to .epub, I have done this several times. But every time I had to do some fine tuning and to erase conversion errors, but that I always did with Sigil. Sure, that's more work and you need to know HTML, but you actually see what's done to the HTML code. It's not always pretty.

Maybe people should back away from tinkering with their ebooks in such "automatic" conversion programs if there is no real need for that, and if they really wish to change something, learn HTML and CSS and do it with a proper EPUB editing program like Sigil.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #75
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is the embedded font bug fixed?
Just curious.. have you ever bothered to open an official problem report with Kobo for this? Very often, developers spend time on bugs that have been reported through official channels....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote