Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #46
markemark
Enthusiast
markemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panatec View Post
I have this SD card problem also. After I turn several pages of a book, it will close automatically and Kobo goes to home page.
I did a factory reset and that problem went away. But the Home screen isn't updated when I read a book from the SD card. I think I'll go back to 1.9.10.

Edit: A bigger annoyance with 1.9.11 is when I go through my book list and add an item to the shortlist, I get sent back to page 1 of the list. Or if I go to my shortlist and remove an item, I also get sent back to page 1 of that list. Reloaded the 1.9.10 firmware and the annoyance goes away.

Edit 2: Tried 1.9.11 one more time and couldn't read more than a couple of pages of a certain book on the SD card before it sent me back to the home screen.

Last edited by markemark; 09-28-2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Added an issue with 1.9.11 I couldn't live with.
markemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #47
Tangent
Tangent began at the beginning.

I removed the SD card and loaded some books onto the internal memory and now it works as normal (including the occasional double tap issue).

I was waiting to see if a factory reset helped for anyone but it doesn't seem to.

What an irritation! The reason I keep all my books on an SD card was the regular need to do a factory reset and having everything on the SD card meant that they wouldn't be erased and have to be reloaded. Now with the new firmware update the SD card is useless.

I'll avoid the urge to say that the KT is junk because it isn't and obviously can be made to work right and has worked better in some previous updates. And I'll avoid the urge to say that the KT programmers are idiots because if they were then the KT wouldn't work at all. But come one, as features are added my KT faces bigger and more debilitating bugs.

Thanks for fixing the line cut-off, now PLEASE FIX THE SD CARD READING PROBLEM KOBO... sheeesh!
Tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #48
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I recently updated to 1.9.11.
I have all my epubs loaded onto my SD card. Thankfully everything is working fine..
**crosses fingers it stays that way!**

I only ever use Calibre to load books. Although I haven't used Calibre yet (in fact haven't connected my KT to my PC at all) since I updated to 1.9.11

And yes, I load my ebooks onto the SD card for the same reason.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #49
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
I just updated this morning. So far everything works perfectly, including the SD card. I hope they get things sorted out for everyone soon.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #50
Tangent
Tangent began at the beginning.

My SD card is a Lexar. Perhaps brands make a difference. Or perhaps the amount and size of books on the card makes a difference when the KT is first reading from the card (it took close to an hour after I reinserted the card after the update). I have about 60 books on my card (a few were quite large reference materials). I've had all of updates since day 1 and this is the first time that card reading has been an issue for me. I am pleased for those who didn't have a problem though. I hope to join you soon.
Tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #51
sophiek
sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
I just updated to the latest version. Does anyone know why you need to do the update through the desktop as opposed to directly on the KT via Wifi? As I have posted previously, my husband and I each have a KT, share an account on Kobobooks but rarely read the same titles. We both download directly from Kobobooks and never use the desktop except for updates. The problem that arises is that to update each of our KT's I have to go through our library in Kobobooks (now at 78 titles), change everything that is mine that I haven't read yet to 'I'm Reading', remove anything I have read from the "I'm Reading' because it is there from the last update but I delete titles off the KT as I read them to keep my library to unread books since there is no way to set up different libraries or categories on the KT), then sync with the desktop. After syncing with the desktop and getting the update, I can then sync the KT to the desktop. After doing this, I have to undo everything I have just done and start the process over for my husband's books. It is a royal pain. The desktop will then sit unchanged until the next update comes out and I have to do it all again. Why can't the KT just tell me there is an update which I would then download and leave my books as they are??

Also as an aside, I find it interesting (odd?) that the Kobobooks library sorts the titles differently than the desktop and KT do. On one (I forget which) any title starting with 'the' is under 't' alphabetically, on the other, it would be under whatever letter the second word starts with. Again, a pain if you have to go through 78 books to pick out 15 to sync . I guess this wouldn't be a problem if I read my books in the order I purchased them but I don't...
sophiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #52
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Past updates they did slow rolling release of upgrade over days. One advantage of doing updates this way, if there is show stopping bug in upgrade everyone doesn't get it.

I was so frustrated not able to upgrade via wifi or kobo desktop for days I did manual upgrade, by unpacking downloaded upgrade zip file into the .kobo directory on the Kobo using windows explorer while KT was plugged into my computer. Clicked on safe removal of device (kobo) from windows computer in task bar. Unplugged Kobo from computer. Kobo should find upgrade and upgrade its self. If you could get link to down load kobo 1.9.10 upgrade file from Kobo you could do this to each of your KT.

Last edited by filmo; 09-28-2011 at 10:36 PM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #53
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I agree that having to repeatedly trash and then replace your books on the Kobo desktop is a pain.
As I prefer to side load all my books onto the Touch including those purchased from Kobo I need to remove all the books from the I'm Reading section when I update or factory reset (sadly I've needed to do a lot of those!)
However on my iPhone and iPad I use the app so I need the books back in I'm Reading. It's very frustrating.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:20 AM   #54
mogomo
mogomo began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiek View Post
I just updated to the latest version. Does anyone know why you need to do the update through the desktop as opposed to directly on the KT via Wifi?
Mine updated over Wi-Fi today. I wasn't even aware that there was a new firmware update available. Is the Wi-Fi update incomplete in some way?
mogomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:43 AM   #55
nicebubu
nicebubu began at the beginning.

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Well, I can confirm that the last line cut off for sideloaded epubs is still present.
Unbelievable.
Very disappointed and frustrated.
Also for pdf books. Back to 1.9.8!
nicebubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #56
Uncle Ned
Uncle Ned began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo; Nexus 7
Upgraded yesterday. Some sideloaded books are now closing on page turns. Some on every page turn; some on a seemingly random number of page turns. Am I alone? I have never had issues before.
Uncle Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:42 AM   #57
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ned View Post
Upgraded yesterday. Some sideloaded books are now closing on page turns. Some on every page turn; some on a seemingly random number of page turns. Am I alone? I have never had issues before.
No, it is happening to me as well and a number of others have reported it. Usually when it happens on my KT the books on the sd card disappear as well until I take the card out and reinsert it.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:05 AM   #58
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Two bugs:

1) "READING STATS" is cut off on top of the screen.
(edit: I just discovered that it is also cut off on the right side of the screen.)

2) Time Settings are not working properly.
a) For the time zone, it does not find the original "Berlin, Germany" but only the wannabe copy over in New Hampshire, U.S.
(edit: I remember that this worked in 1.9.10, i.e. there was a Berlin, Germany).

b) The 24h time format is flawed. It will never display 13:46, but always 01:46 (no am/pm).

c) Tapping downwards to another hour, starting with 01:46 (00, 24, 23, ..... 15, 14) results in no change of time at all, it would stay at 01:46 (instead of 14:46 or 02:46).
Tapping upwards (02, 03, 04, ..... 13, 14) changes the time, but 02:46 is displayed instead of 14:46.

Last edited by Benjamin Buford; 09-29-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #59
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does anyone know why you need to do the update through the desktop as opposed to directly on the KT via Wifi?
I also updated via WiFi. I knew the update was available so I hit Sync and then it offered me the update.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #60
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
The % read indication in the Library list is way too small and faint to be useful. Are the developers actually looking at their work on the Kobo screen, or just developing on their desktop systems?
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote