Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
stefanib123
stefanib123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader, Slick
Newbie needs help!!

I'm new to this message board and Im not sure where I shoud have put this. I apologize in advance if I should have put it somewhere else.

I bought the Slick (ER700-2) eReader yesterday at Big Lots. I have a Sony ereader also, I've had it for over a year now. I wanted this new one, though, because it plays videos, and I can listen to music and play audioboooks on it. Also, I put a lot of quilting patterns on my Sony and it not being color and so small makes it hard to see them.

Anyway, the Slick seems to be a decent little device, BUT, I can't get it to play videos! I've tried different formats, avi, mp4, etc and none of them will play. They are on there, but when I go to play it, it gives me an error message that says wrong file format.

I checked the user manual that comes with it and it says it supports those formats.

Can anyone PLEASE help me?

P.S. what board should this go on? I had no idea, LOL!
stefanib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
stefanib, in case no one responded to your question yet, there is some info about it in the thread listed below, but I don't know how much it will help:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=110596
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Video formats are a bit tricky. You have to consider both the "container" format (AVI, MP4, or whatever) AND the CODEC (the actual format that the video stream is stored in within the file). Thus, if your video is MP4 encoded with the H.264 CODEC, your playback device needs to support not only the right container (MP4) but also the right CODEC (H.264).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
stefanib123
stefanib123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader, Slick
Thanks for the replies!

Harry T., I'm reading about that right now!

I downloaded Handbrake, and am trying different options on it. The manual does say that it supports the H.264, wmv, mp4, etc.

IS there somewhere on here that can walk me through it? I'm a total newbie to this!

Here's exactly what the manual says:

Supports:

XVID,MPEG-1,FLV,H.264(25FPS/720P),WMV,RMVB,MPEG-2,DIVX,MPEG-4(25FPS/720P)

In Handbrake, I didn't change the fps, think that might do it?

Last edited by stefanib123; 01-22-2011 at 09:43 PM.
stefanib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
RickCain
RickCain began at the beginning.

Device: Slick ER700-2
I've only gotten MPEG1 and FLV to work so far. It seems to be very picky about the resolution and frame rate.
RickCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:11 AM   #6
V.W. Singer
Enthusiast
V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: ppc
You didn't mention what computer you have (PC or MAC). If you are able to run Windows programs, you might want to try Super Video Converter by eRightSoft. It's free and will convert anything to just about anything, and has many pre-sets which will ensure that your result is a standard compliant video (video and audio).

If you do decide to use it and have problems setting it up, let me know and I'll be glad to try and help you out.

Did the unit come with a demo video that worked? If so, you could try downloading a little app called MediaInfo (MAC, Linux and PC versions available). Run the program and drop the video into it and it will tell you exactly what the settings were for the video. With that you can try and reproduce the codec and settings for your own video.

Good luck.
V.W. Singer is offline   Reply With Quote