Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 05:23 AM   #61
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8Ereader View Post
Norfolk Library and Information services UK
Fiction 1412
Non-fiction 487
Children's fiction 300

I can now borrow 6 titles at any one time.
New titles are appearing a few per month, but has only been up since Spring.
Nearly all E-pub, few pdf. Waiting lists not too long.

Hang on ....

Waiting Lists !!!!!!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #62
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Hang on ....

Waiting Lists !!!!!!!!

Some of us have over 20 patrons waiting for a book. About an 8 month wait.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #63
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I have seen titles for our library with as many as 97 patrons waiting!

The book I now have on my nook as of last night was one of them, only the 97 patron wait was months ago when it first came out and was available. I'd checked, because of being curious about the new ebook lending program.

By the time I got my nook, got around to setting ADE up, the wait was not so bad, I think I was like fifth in line. However, our library does offer a choice of 7, 14 and 21 day lending periods. I usually choose the 21 day, but will return early when done with the book.

Last edited by graycyn; 08-19-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Added sentence.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #64
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Longest I had to wait was 2 weeks, 2 people ahead of me only borrowed for a week. They e-mail when it becomesavailable and you have a few days to pick up before the reservation lapses
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #65
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Any DC area residents?

So, let's say I'm considering the non-resident Washington D.C. library card option...which location is typically most convenient for someone coming from out of town? I don't know whether I would take the train up (6 hrs but puts me at Union Station) or drive (4.5 or 5 hrs but have to deal with traffic and not knowing where I'm going!). I'd be coming up I-95 from North Carolina... Any suggestions?
I thought you had to be a DC resident or live in a jurisdiction that bordered on DC. I do and have joined but have not checked out any eBooks as Fairfax Library seems to have a better selection.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #66
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I usually choose the 21 day, but will return early when done with the book.
I'm new to the digital library, and I can't see how to return a book early here in Atlanta. Is that a function of the library system, or is it an Overdrive thing?
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #67
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I'm new to the digital library, and I can't see how to return a book early here in Atlanta. Is that a function of the library system, or is it an Overdrive thing?
You do it in ADE. I've looked for a way to do it from the web site but can't. But when you have ADE open (I typically use list view) and you click on the arrow that appears next to the title when you are hovering over it and there is an option to return borrowed item.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #68
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
You do it in ADE. I've looked for a way to do it from the web site but can't. But when you have ADE open (I typically use list view) and you click on the arrow that appears next to the title when you are hovering over it and there is an option to return borrowed item.
Duh! Thank you!

There was nothing in the library website to let me do it, or tell me how, but I didn't think to go to ADE.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #69
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I thought you had to be a DC resident or live in a jurisdiction that bordered on DC. I do and have joined but have not checked out any eBooks as Fairfax Library seems to have a better selection.
DC library's website claims that non-residents can pay an annual fee for their library card. No price is given.

However, it would be best to call and confirm before making the journey (this for OP) as websites are notoriously outdated. Also, look at their Overdrive selection beforehand as numbers can be deceptive. They may have many romance or YA books that may not interest you.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:59 AM   #70
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Some of us have over 20 patrons waiting for a book. About an 8 month wait.
Quote:
New titles are appearing a few per month, but has only been up since Spring. Nearly all E-pub, few pdf. Waiting lists not too long.

I'm confused ....

A library offering to lend an ebook has a waiting list for the book ?

Huh !
Old 08-20-2010, 06:14 AM   #71
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
A library offering to lend an ebook has a waiting list for the book ?
They have only paid for the rights to a certain number of simultaneous copies.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #72
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
They have only paid for the rights to a certain number of simultaneous copies.

Ah - that would explain it - sorry to have been dense ....

One day the World may wake up and realise that some of the things we used to do are no longer sensible ....
Old 09-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #73
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

I updated the list. Lots of titles added which caused a few changes in the rankings.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:40 AM   #74
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I told my librarian today that our ODLC has made 8th on the unofficial MobileRead list. She liked hearing that!

I must say, I feel I have the best of both worlds... I borrowed a book today from a fellow Nook user via LendMe, I went into my library to use the WiFi to download it, meanwhile checking out a cool local artist exhibit there, and also grabbing a couple paper titles by an author that I discovered via ebook.

Meanwhile... a week or two ago, I decided to be brave and put a hold on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo in ePUB form. At the time, I was patron 123 out of 123, so not holding my breath on that read. No worries though, I have plenty of books to occupy me.

But I feel like my taxes go to a good cause whenever I've visited my little small town library! They try so hard! Even have a Facebook page.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:32 AM   #75
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Updated the list. Many titles added but no changes in the rankings.

If your city's library should be on the list, please let me know. Must have over 4200 different titles to qualify.