Notices

Old 03-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
indieauthor83
Enthusiast
indieauthor83 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire hd
kindle justification/hyphens

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to set hyphens in the code, or if there is any other way of eradicating rivers of white spacing between words?

Most of my book looks lovely, but on every few pages there are stretched lines, that distracts me from the content (not good for flow), I would rather see hyphens and have a nice flow, than a neat line, and have to jump from word to word (it's like stopping and starting a car!)

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Zoe
indieauthor83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:30 PM   #2
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
There is a plugin for calibre, called "Hyphenate this". It inserts soft-hyphens to a book. I think it works only for azw, so it only helps if you have a kindle which supports kf8.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Turn off Justification (text-align:left ), that way it wont try to fill the line

Hyphenation will simply be wrong for some cases

or 'just use small words'
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
indieauthor83
Enthusiast

Thanks Theducks and Dickloraine,

I'll have a look at the 'hyphenate this' plugin thanks.

I did think about left aligning it, but so many people seem to dislike right-ragged edges, I don't want to annoy my readers. It's odd but I used to prefer left aligned myself, until I've now got used to justified, now they look distracting.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:15 PM   #5
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, you want to publish the book? Then I probably wouldn't do anything about it. No hyphenation is a limitation of the kindles. You could do it, but there could be problems. Also some people don't like auto-hyphenation. I would be conservative and would avoid adding something not officially supported. As to left or justified, that is personal preference. I don't own a kindle, but as far as I know, unfortunately the user can't decide this. Personally I read only justified. All print books are justified. I don't know, what's most common for kindle books.
Most people probably don't care about anything of the above. And people who care, I suspect know how to change the book. So I would do what is the standard for the platform. That way everyone knows what he gets.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
dickloraine
Guru

As an compromise, you could insert soft-hyphens only for very long words.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #7
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by indieauthor83 View Post
I'll have a look at the 'hyphenate this' plugin thanks.

[...] I don't want to annoy my readers.
If you are reading or tweaking a book for personal usage, feel free to insert soft hyphens or Hyphenate This, but if you are SELLING this ebook, do not insert any soft hyphens, and avoid them like the plague.

Here is one of the topics where we discussed soft hyphens (and if you look at the other topics I linked in Post #2, you can see some of the horrors that can occur):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230358

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-04-2015 at 01:15 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:30 AM   #8
indieauthor83
Enthusiast

Thanks Dickloraine and Tex2002ans,

Much appreciated.

I'll avoid adding soft-hyphens after reading that article! Someone had warned me against using them, but didn't explain why, so thank you that's very helpful!

Yes I'm publishing it, I have people who have written reviews who are now tapping their feet, because I have been 'tweaking' it for several weeks now. I may have to outsource it if I can't get on top of it today!

So I'm grateful to everyone who has replied it's a big help

Zoe
Old 03-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #9
dickloraine
Guru

Until eReaders use more sophisticated methods to render text, there will always be "pages" that look odd. Nothing anyone can do about it. Someone who reads eBooks is accustomed to it. But you gain some things too, like the ability to set fonts, font-size etc. as a reader. In my opinion this more then outweigh the occasional odd page.
Don't aim for the "perfect" look. Just make a clean eBook. How exactly it is displayed depends on the eReader.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #10
indieauthor83
Enthusiast

Thanks Dickloraine,

I was told that by a professional who helped me with my coding. I'm about to publish it so thought I would pop my head on here, on the off-chance that any programmers had conjoured up a miracle, before I pressed publish!

I think I've got it looking the best I can, so I'm going to brave it later tonight when my little boy is in bed. Wish me luck!