Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
My Newest Ebook Reader- The Printed Page

Greetings,

Am I alone in printing out ebooks a section at a time for reading? I've discovered that I can efficiently get a decent printable file by printing to pdf from within calibre's ebook-viewer. I then go to the library and print out as much as my daily ration will allow. After reading, I can either recycle the book or tuck it away in a binder for future reference. Am I weird or is this more common than I imagine; I mean there are benefits: no batteries, no worries about cracking a fragile e-ink screen or getting it wet (within reason). And if I lose it, it's not a big deal. There are also ebooks that don't look so great on the small screens of the current devices. What do you all think?

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The only situation I'd consider printing something out is if I had a complex PDF that just wouldn't display well on my Kindle. Otherwise I think printing out an ebook loses most of its benefits, but to each his own.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The only thing I can think of that I'd print from an ebook would be a recipe if it was a cookbook or maybe a specific part of an instructional manual.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Why not just buy the paperback book? This seems like you're taking the negatives of both formats without utilizing the positives of either.

MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Greetings,

Am I alone in printing out ebooks a section at a time for reading? I've discovered that I can efficiently get a decent printable file by printing to pdf from within calibre's ebook-viewer. I then go to the library and print out as much as my daily ration will allow. After reading, I can either recycle the book or tuck it away in a binder for future reference. Am I weird or is this more common than I imagine; I mean there are benefits: no batteries, no worries about cracking a fragile e-ink screen or getting it wet (within reason). And if I lose it, it's not a big deal. There are also ebooks that don't look so great on the small screens of the current devices. What do you all think?

Luqman
No... I've heard there are whole colonies of self-labeled 'anti-environment luddites' who've also formed a similar strategy. Of course, most of those work for BP.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Dude, I'll either recycle the paper or keep the book so I don't think the environment is a huge issue in regards to this. Also, what is the exact percentage of printer paper/book paper that comes from virgin forests vs. the percentage that comes from 'managed' forests where the numbers are steadily and sustainably replenished. My understanding is that wood for furniture and construction as well as the desire to clear land for farming are the leading reasons for deforestation.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
Quote:
I then go to the library and print out as much as my daily ration will allow.
Is this daily ration gratis? Printing materials (printer quality paper and ink/toner) are pretty expensive. To print out electronics books, in a library no less, seems to be a bit egregious in terms of waste, both environmentally (think of how much bleach was used to create that paper) and fiscally.

Last edited by jashsu; 08-05-2010 at 08:43 PM.
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The only time I've ever printed an ebook, is from my Studebaker shop manual. Found a place that had made PDFs of a lot of old repair manuals, and this way I could print out the pages I want, without worrying about damaging it. Some of the shop manuals cost into the hundreds, because of their rarity (only meant for the repair department of car dealers) and age (the ones I have go back to the '30s to '50s). This way, I'm out in the garage, doing repairs, and who cares if I get oily finger prints all over it.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
I dunno. That just seems all wrong to me.

Laser printing a book has to be about 1000 times more resource intensive than the bulk printing process. Recycling is expensive, too.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
This sounds crazy to me.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I find it works pretty well for format shifting. I print out the Mobi ebook using Calibre, then use a scanner with a top notch OCR program to scan the printed pages. Load the resulting txt file into Calibre and format to whatever format type I desire.

I then take the left over paper to a recycling center and use the proceeds to pay for printer supplies.

Nothing could be simpler.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I find it works pretty well for format shifting. I print out the Mobi ebook using Calibre, then use a scanner with a top notch OCR program to scan the printed pages. Load the resulting txt file into Calibre and format to whatever format type I desire.

I then take the left over paper to a recycling center and use the proceeds to pay for printer supplies.

Nothing could be simpler.
Now that makes perfect sense..
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #13
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Greetings,

Luqman
Have you considered getting a late night job cleaning offices? Then you could print out a little at each office.

Not only do you save money making copies, BUT you'll also make money selling the scrap paper.

Let me know if it works. I may want to do the same.

And don't let that environmental stuff scare you. Once we have all of the trees cut down and converted to scrap paper the sooner we can save the environment from gas guzzling chain saws.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #14
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I don't think I would ever do this. To me, reading something small like a paperback or an ebook reader screen is better than reading from an A4 size piece of paper.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
No way in Hell. The only thing uglier than a binder full of paper is a bookshelf full of binders. If I were to read on paper, I'd buy the pbook.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote