Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
untiedknot
untiedknot began at the beginning.

Device: none
falling asleep while reading

Sometimes I get so comfortable lying down when I read that I can't stay awake too long and drift to sleep before I've done much reading. A little weird, but does anyone else have a "problem" with this. Does anyone purposefully not read in a really comfortable position to avoid drifting off?
untiedknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
I usually read at night so I CAN fall asleep. Unless it's a really good book, which can keep me awake all night...

Greg.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I can't fall asleep while reading, but I often get too sleepy to read anymore and have to quit for the night before the end of a chapter etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:19 PM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
It's a common problem for me, too. I guess I'll have to start reading in a chair, at least.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I try to start my reading off in a chair-or if I am intending to read in bed,I can't be really "sleepy".If I am sleepy there's no point to my reading,as I won't remember much-that's usually when I put the radio or a cd on instead-or the tv.
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I usually read in bed, just before going to sleep. But generally, that works opposite of what I want (falling asleep). I have finished books in the middle of the night (turning off my reader at around 3:00 or 4:00 while I have to get up at 6 again ).

Maybe you should read some more exciting books, that won't get you to sleep!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:33 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I fall asleep while reading pretty much every night! If I want to read "seriously", then I do so in a not-too-comfortable chair, rather than in bed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I don't fall asleep *while* reading because when I get really tired, it hurts to get both eyes to track one nearby object. When I start shutting one eye at a time, I know it's time to put the reader to sleep and take off my headlamp.

But I often read in bed just before going to sleep.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I fall asleep while reading all the time. When I was working my way through Jordan's Wheel of Time series, it was an even bet if I was going to finish before breaking my nose from having the book bonk me as my muscles relaxed.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I read myself to sleep most nights. The rule is: if the book falls out of my hand more than once, I must set it aside, turn off the flashlight, and put my glasses into the headboard.

I have also been known to fall asleep when reading, even when sitting up -- particularly when reading in the car. If I get all cozy, I may doze even if the book is thrilling.

But, since I'm reading for pleasure and not for content/study/work, then I don't care if I fall asleep.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlawBiker View Post
I usually read at night so I CAN fall asleep. Unless it's a really good book, which can keep me awake all night...

Greg.
Ditto! Normally I have to force myself to put the book down so I won't be a zombie in the morning. Unless it's the weekend-- then I won't care and I'll keep reading until I'm finished the book. :P
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I absolutely do not fall asleep reading in bed. Never. But, when I do read in bed, someone sneaks in through the front door, slips up behind me and smacks me with a hammer and I don't come to for hours. Got to figure out who that is.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #13
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by untiedknot;
Sometimes I get so comfortable lying down when I read that I can't stay awake too long and drift to sleep before I've done much reading. A little weird, but does anyone else have a "problem" with this. Does anyone purposefully not read in a really comfortable position to avoid drifting off?
Yes so do I - seems to be related to the ratio of ice to scotch in the glass I take to bed with me
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #14
digitalzen
Connoisseur
digitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litter

Device: none
It happens to me when I'm really tired, but usually I use it as a sleep aid. I'll read for a while until I'm getting drowsy, then put the book down and pass out.
digitalzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I absolutely do not fall asleep reading in bed. Never. But, when I do read in bed, someone sneaks in through the front door, slips up behind me and smacks me with a hammer and I don't come to for hours. Got to figure out who that is.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
hey ! that happens to me sometimes too !! damned hammer-smackers...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote