Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #196
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks. Should have posted back, but in the end I too the HTML that bookcreator stores in the temp directory. Zipped this up and added to Calibre. Calibre then converted with the indents I supplied and kept the images.

Not the most ideal way of doing it, but at least it worked for me
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #197
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Sorry for not getting back sooner just got back from vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelly View Post
I have figures or tables that won't convert to what they look like in the .pdf for my Kindle. This link has the offending PDF. For example Figure 1-10 and Table 1-1 turn out to be unformatted and unreadable.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solu...o/TP-Book.html

Is there any way to use this process to fix the problems?
BookCreator (BC) will work for you but looking at the PDF file it will be a labor intensive process. BC is a book editing/book tool that runs withing MS Word. It is designed to help format MS Word documents for eBook, either as they are written or by importing the text into MS Word.

I might recommend looking into MobiCreator from MobiPocket which imports PDF books and creates MOBI books, which are read by Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Thanks. Should have posted back, but in the end I too the HTML that bookcreator stores in the temp directory. Zipped this up and added to Calibre. Calibre then converted with the indents I supplied and kept the images.

Not the most ideal way of doing it, but at least it worked for me
MJH is right make sure the text is using the "_1 Text" style. Also I noticed when importing HTML to MS Word some hard line returns are not treated as new paragraphs. Since indents only happen on new paragraphs the text is not indented. When I import HTML to MSWord doc I always run the menu option "Tools| ASCII LF -> Word Paragraphs" this along with setting the right style fixes most indentation problems.

IGNORE HERE
The technical answer is I believe when importing HTML to MS Word the <BR> are treated as LF(11 ASCII) and <DIV> and <P> are treated as paragraphs CR(13 ASCII).

By running the menu tool noted all carriage return and line feeds are converted to carrage returns
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #198
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I'm completely lost. I got this new computer with Office 2007 installed. The interface is completely different. The only thing that is the same is that it was made by Microsoft. I got BookCreator.dot loaded. But were can I find all those nice buttons. I can find all the styles, I can find the macro's by opening the Macro menu, but it is a pita to use them this way. I must be overlooking something.

I know that some people are using BookCreator with Word 2007 so it must be possible. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #199
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
I know that some people are using BookCreator with Word 2007 so it must be possible. Can someone point me in the right direction?
One of the tabs at the end is 'Add Ons' Most of the Macros are in there (assuming the security is okay).
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #200
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

No Book Creator macro's there. I switched off all security in the 'Trust Centre'. But when I go to the 'view' tab I can view macro's and run them. But I have no macro buttons anymore like in Word 2003. This way they are almost useless. I have to dig deep in the menu's to use them

The security must be okay because I see them, but the buttonbar is not created. Or it is hidden somewhere were I'm not looking
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #201
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
No Book Creator macro's there. I switched off all security in the 'Trust Centre'. But when I go to the 'view' tab I can view macro's and run them. But I have no macro buttons anymore like in Word 2003. This way they are almost useless. I have to dig deep in the menu's to use them

The security must be okay because I see them, but the buttonbar is not created. Or it is hidden somewhere were I'm not looking
Hi Ortep,
I wish I could help but I don't have Word2007.

MY did take some screen shots of how BookCreator looks in word 2007, here is a link courtesy of MJ.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/alb...pictureid=1074

His album is
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/album.php?albumid=122
=X=
Old 03-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #202
Ortep
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Hi Ortep,
I wish I could help but I don't have Word2007.
Not your fault I'm theone who is alwys fighting with office

Quote:
MY did take some screen shots of how BookCreator looks in word 2007, here is a link courtesy of MJ.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/alb...pictureid=1074
That is what I don't see. I do see the styles but not the buttons. The weird part is that the macros are loaded because I can see them in the viewtab. It must be something that I do or don't do. Well tomorrow I will try again
Old 03-25-2009, 05:11 AM   #203
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Ortep, can you take a screenshot and upload it for us to see? It would probably help.. Mind you if you are looking for the same button style layout as in previous versions of Word you just won't find it, Microsoft has switched to the Ribbon UI interface in Word 2007 (and future versions of Windows/&c) so the 'buttons' you see in my screenshot under Add-Ins are the best you are going to get. If you are missing that perhaps we can work on it, but seeing what you are seeing will definately help...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #204
Ortep
Fanatic

Hi, I did some testing.

It does not work when I double click the template. Word 2007 does open, the macro's are available but they don't show up on the toolbar. Screenshots are included here (Addin and ViewMacro)

It does work when I first start Word 2007 and open the template. That is screenshot 3 (Opentemp)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Addin.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	26379   Click image for larger version

Name:	ViewMacro.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	26380   Click image for larger version

Name:	OpenTemplate.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	26381  
Old 03-26-2009, 05:26 AM   #205
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
That is strange. Perhaps having more then one add-in is causing the BCT buttons to be minimized, I'll think about it some more. Another thing you could try is disabling the Omnipage add-in, just for an experiment, and see if the buttons open properly. If you click on the Office icon > Word Options > Add-Ins, you should be able to disable it somewhere in there. Sorry I can't be more help just yet, but Word 2007 is a pain to me. It seems to fight you every step of the way.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:46 AM   #206
Ortep
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
Another thing you could try is disabling the Omnipage add-in, just for an experiment, and see if the buttons open properly. If you click on the Office icon > Word Options > Add-Ins, you should be able to disable it somewhere in there.
I'll try that, but I won't be able to do that tonight. Sometimes my wife needs some attention, so we go to the theatre

Quote:
Sorry I can't be more help just yet, but Word 2007 is a pain to me. It seems to fight you every step of the way.
-MJ
Yes, Word 2007 is 'different'
Old 03-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #207
Ortep
Fanatic

After a nice evening at the theater I got rid of the Omnipage software. I completely de-installed it. It didn't help.

I showed my problem to a guy in our firm who is giving the in company Office training and his answer was:

Well...Hmmm...euh...lets see...Yes...it is strange.

I will leave it this way. I can get it active by loading the template. It is not as convenient as double clicking, but it is a workable solution. And the macros of =X= are still as good as ever.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #208
=X=
Wizard

That's halarious, Well I'm glad at least it works.

=X=
Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #209
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Can Book Creator add images to an LRF output file?

Firstly, Book Creator is great.

I am converting a large .txt file to LRF format and using the Book Creator template/macros to format it, but any images I add to the document do not show up in the output LRF file when I read it on my PRS-700 reader.

So before I spend countless hours experimenting, can someone let me know if Book Creator allows images in the doc. If so is there anything I need to know in order to get an image to work?

Book Creator 2.52
Calibre latest version (0.5.3?)
Windows 7
Word 2007
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:42 AM   #210
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
Firstly, Book Creator is great.

I am converting a large .txt file to LRF format and using the Book Creator template/macros to format it, but any images I add to the document do not show up in the output LRF file when I read it on my PRS-700 reader.

So before I spend countless hours experimenting, can someone let me know if Book Creator allows images in the doc. If so is there anything I need to know in order to get an image to work?

Book Creator 2.52
Calibre latest version (0.5.3?)
Windows 7
Word 2007
Hi djgreedo, glad your enjoying BookCreator

Hm, of all the format LRF gives me the least problems.

One thing I've noticed is Word handles images differently based on how they are inserted to the word document. I've found the best results when I insert an image use the image insert menu option.

Menu option on MS Word 2003
Insert|Picture|From File...

Try this out and let us know how you rared.
=X=