Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
mgemmons
mgemmons began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
DE Book unreadable on Sony Reader...no options?

I just purchased Deaths Head from ebooks.com in Adobe DE format for my Sony PRS-505. It's unreadable at the two smallest fonts and way too large at the largest. I've looked for options to convert ebooks to other formats, but it seems DE files can't be converted. Ebooks.com is disinclined to give me the book in another format (wtf?). Am I basically screwed here?

On a side note, I will never purhcase an Adobe DE file again. I would really prefer some positive outcome to this, but if I can't view the file properly on my device and I can't get a refund I'll simply cancel the credit card charge . And companies wonder why the average user hates DRM so much.
mgemmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What is the file extension on this eBook?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Ebooks.com says:
Quote:
Refunds will be given at the discretion of the Company Management.
However, they really should give a refund for ebooks that don't work.

The real problem, though, is that Adobe DE on the PRS-505 is a limited implementation (e.g. only 3 font sizes), and publishers did not know about these limitations when they produced the ebook. Either Sony/Adobe needs to fix the reader software, or the publisher needs to update the ebook itself. I have seen responses on Mobipocket's forum indicating that a publisher has been asked by MobiPocket to correct an ebook, but I don't know if they ever do. So as a practical matter, it would probably be easier for Adobe to fix the problem (e.g. by allowing a font size override).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
mgemmons
mgemmons began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is the file extension on this eBook?
It's an Adobe Digital Editions PDF. It says on the first page of the file that it is formatted for 1024x768. Of course, there wasn't any way to know this before I purchased it. Still no response from ebooks. Guess I'll call my CC company .
mgemmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem we are seeing now is a new one. We are getting eBook shops labeling PDF with DRM as Adobe DE format. That is misleading as Adobe DE format is actually just ePub. Just fact that Adobe has switched to using DE to read DRMed PDF is irrelevant. So basically, unless it's ePub, it's not a DE edition and should not be sold as such. And all eBook in ePub format should be sold as being compatible with mobile DE and if not able to be made compatible, then at least labeled as such.
Advert
Old 08-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
The problem we are seeing now is a new one. We are getting eBook shops labeling PDF with DRM as Adobe DE format. That is misleading as Adobe DE format is actually just ePub. Just fact that Adobe has switched to using DE to read DRMed PDF is irrelevant. So basically, unless it's ePub, it's not a DE edition and should not be sold as such. And all eBook in ePub format should be sold as being compatible with mobile DE and if not able to be made compatible, then at least labeled as such.
I fully agree with you JSWolf. Companies such as ebooks.com are making all sorts of press releases to say that they're now compatible with the PRS-505. But there's a huge difference between offering PDF files and ePub files for the PRS-505. While PDF reflow is a good solution as a fallback method, when you don't have any other solution, it shouldn't be considered the normal way to read files on the 505. Adobe should be extra careful with this problem, otherwise some people might label Adobe DE with "bad user experience".
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I fully agree with you JSWolf. Companies such as ebooks.com are making all sorts of press releases to say that they're now compatible with the PRS-505. But there's a huge difference between offering PDF files and ePub files for the PRS-505. While PDF reflow is a good solution as a fallback method, when you don't have any other solution, it shouldn't be considered the normal way to read files on the 505. Adobe should be extra careful with this problem, otherwise some people might label Adobe DE with "bad user experience".
I think what we should do is start a thread here that lists all the eBook shops that sell eBooks in "Adobe DE" format and what format it actually is. BooksOnBoard is the only store I know fo right now that sells ePub and is not mislabeling it at all.

ebooks.com no longer labels their PDF as Adobe DE. They have it as just Adobe.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Adobe as a label for a book format doesn't make any sense.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Adobe as a label for a book format doesn't make any sense.
true. But at least it's not Adobe DE any longer. That was an even worse mess.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Well it is not really misleading as eBooks. As mislead implies malice or deception. EBooks.com is telling the truth and they are not deceiving their customers. The new firmware update does make it compatible with PDF and ePub. While I do prefer ePub over PDF I have bough secure PDF when that is the only option available.

That said I believe eBooks labeling PDF as DE confuses the customer.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 08-08-2008 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Updated last sentence
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:48 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I think what we should do is start a thread here that lists all the eBook shops that sell eBooks in "Adobe DE" format and what format it actually is. BooksOnBoard is the only store I know fo right now that sells ePub and is not mislabeling it at all.

Adobe DE is a program that reads eBooks. It is not a format. As it happens the Adobe DE reader will read both ePUB and PDF. Either format can have or not have DRM.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote