Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Pendergast
Pendergast began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs505
505 freezes in menu

Hi to all.
I've read the forum looking for a solution to my problem but I couldn't find it because when the 505 freezes, people don't really say when it does (or I haven't been able to understand it).

In my case, the 505 reboots when I soft reset it, but when enters the menu, it freezes and the arrows in the middle keep moving and moving without end. I bought a psp charger and I have it charging but the red light (indicating that is charging) has stopped an hour ago and the device is still frozen.

I don't now what should be the next step and if anyone could help me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
Pendergast
Pendergast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Pendergast

I've made a hard reset. When I finished it, the 505 turned off. When I turned it on, it freezes in the menu again, but I can see behind the moving arrows and see that there are no books, so the hard reset has worked. The problem must be other.
Advert
Old 05-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Reset the device, connect USB cable and delete everything from the flash drive after it boots. You can also try running a disk check on it.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
This happened to me when I first got the 505. I had to re-flash the device for it to fix itself.

Note this will delete any data on your reader.

To do this it's as follows: (Make sure the device is charged)
1) remove any memory disks.
2) Hard reset, push the pin in and hold it down for 10 sec
3) Hold down the bookmark and the volume +
// Wait for a while as the SONY device reboots
// A menu will show up asking you if you wish to re-flash the device.
4) Depress the 5 button.
// Let it restore until it is complete

Hope this helps
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
This happened to me once on a dud book, but you don't have any books loaded so......I hope you didn't get a bum unit
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 04:49 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even if you see no books in the menus while the arrows are rotating, it doesn't mean there are no books on the device.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Pendergast

Things become weirder

Thanks for the answers.
I've been doing several tests and I would like to share the results with you.
1. I started the 505 for the first time in windows but I moved to Ubuntu recently (that could be the problem?).
2. If I do a hard reset, after long 20 minutes, the device works properly. Without books, I can enter the menus without problems, but if I introduce the sd card, it freezes again. The sd is formatted in fat16.

And now the scary thing. In windows xp, I use libprs505 and when I try to send a book to the 505 I obtain a great blue screen of death of windows. If I use the official program from Sony, I have exactly the same. The Xp reboots after the blue screen. It's amazing, because I can have acces to the 505, I can browse its directories but when one of these programs try to send something to the device, windows cracks. How is that possible?

In ubuntu, now I can't send books to the device with librs505 (calibre).

Anyone can understand anything of what happens to my 505?
Thanks
Pendergast
Old 05-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
igorsk
Wizard

Could be corrupted filesystem or bad USB connection or controller (on the PC or the device). Try reformatting the flash (in advanced settings) then run a disk check from the PC. Also try how it works with another PC. If nothing helps, it's probably a hardware failure.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post
Anyone can understand anything of what happens to my 505?
Thanks
Pendergast
In calibre with the 505 you can just use the Save to Disk feature to copy the books. (Does send to device work with the 505? I have a 500.) You prossible don't have the calibre driver installed in Ubuntu or Windows. Check to see which driver is installed on your windows machine, the Sony driver or the calibre driver.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote