Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #16
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
ah... hardbacks usually cost around 22-24$. :P
Yeah not usually as ebooks though. So when I say hardback price, I mean ebook hardback price Although sometimes they do cost that much.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #17
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
it would make more sense to miss book one in a series but when they have books 1 and 3 in a series in ebook format, or 1, 2, 4 and 5 in a series, it is not only maddening but also frustrating because of the seeming arbitrariness of it
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 02:04 AM   #18
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I don't agree with that. Releasing some is better than nothing.
I don't agree with that... Releasing some is sometimes worse than nothing. Why would I want to buy a series that is missing some books in between?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I don't agree with that... Releasing some is sometimes worse than nothing. Why would I want to buy a series that is missing some books in between?
You might not, and I agree in a perfect world they'd put out whole series. There are those who will be happy to get the more current books as ebooks though, having already read the earlier ones as pbooks.

It does seem publishers are trying to catch up as they can. Faye Kellerman's series is all out know AFAIK, but when I bought my 505 in Oct. '07 only the first book or two and the most recent few were available. A few other series have had the publishers catch them up too. It takes time and when most publishers seem to have trouble even getting all their current releases out as ebooks it's not surprising they aren't getting back catalog titles out faster. We all want them now of course, but some of them do appear to be trying.

As far as the series like Derek mentioned where they're current but have gaps, well that sounds like it's Penguin being Penguin. They often do things with ebooks that don't make sense.

It's to bad we haven't had any chats with the ebook people from some of the major houses (kind of like movie studios did on Home Theater Forum when DVD started hitting it big). Maybe some of folks questions could be answered and the pub houses would garner some good PR.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #20
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Releasing some is sometimes worse than nothing. Why would I want to buy a series that is missing some books in between?
Yeah, I tend towards that point of view myself.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #21
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It's to bad we haven't had any chats with the ebook people from some of the major houses (kind of like movie studios did on Home Theater Forum when DVD started hitting it big). Maybe some of folks questions could be answered and the pub houses would garner some good PR.
Can I please bring Guido and Nunzio to the meeting? With a complete set of Louisville Sluggers? Hunh? Hunh?

I guarantee I'll get the ebook publishers' attention!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Very often books in a "series" can be read independently. Eg, someone mentioned that only 5 of Sue Grafton's "Alphabet" series are released as eBooks. That doesn't really matter (to me) because each one is a completely stand-alone book.

Obviously it's different for a "trilogy" where you have one story split across three books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #23
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Can I please bring Guido and Nunzio to the meeting? With a complete set of Louisville Sluggers? Hunh? Hunh?

I guarantee I'll get the ebook publishers' attention!

Derek
Go for it, Derek....I'll bring uncle Vinnie...
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #24
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
It still boggles my mind why format is so very important for some...

Price I would understand, so not buying a series because some books are way too expensive, yeah, but not reading a series since not all books are e???

What's wrong with reading some books in print, from the library, or getting them used on Amazon usually very cheaply??

If I like a book or series, I get it in any way I can, only price matters...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #25
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post

Price I would understand, so not buying a series because some books are way too expensive, yeah, but not reading a series since not all books are e???

What's wrong with reading some books in print, from the library, or getting them used on Amazon usually very cheaply??

I prefer to buy all ebooks, so it makes me cranky if stuff is missing. Eventually I break down and get it elsewhere.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I don't agree with that. Releasing some is better than nothing.

And publishing the latest volumes has it's logic... Many people interested in those books have already read the former ones in pBook form, so they won't buy them again in eBook form.
There is NO logic involved. What if I have not yet read any of the series I am interested in? I then have to find copies of the pBooks and for all I know they could be out of print. Then what? If I want to own the entire series, I'm well and truly screwed. This is not logic. This is a mess. I think those in charge who decide to not release all of a series in eBook form should be fired and others hired who can and will do it right. It only hurts the authors who's series are incomplete. I won't purchase an incomplete series. So if the publishers want to hurt the authors, so be it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #27
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is NO logic involved. What if I have not yet read any of the series I am interested in? I then have to find copies of the pBooks and for all I know they could be out of print. Then what? If I want to own the entire series, I'm well and truly screwed. This is not logic. This is a mess. I think those in charge who decide to not release all of a series in eBook form should be fired and others hired who can and will do it right. It only hurts the authors who's series are incomplete. I won't purchase an incomplete series. So if the publishers want to hurt the authors, so be it.

OH MY GOLLY!!! I actually agree with Jon............

Great points.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
OH MY GOLLY!!! I actually agree with Jon............
Marked on calendar.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You might not, and I agree in a perfect world they'd put out whole series. There are those who will be happy to get the more current books as ebooks though, having already read the earlier ones as pbooks.

It does seem publishers are trying to catch up as they can. Faye Kellerman's series is all out know AFAIK, but when I bought my 505 in Oct. '07 only the first book or two and the most recent few were available. A few other series have had the publishers catch them up too. It takes time and when most publishers seem to have trouble even getting all their current releases out as ebooks it's not surprising they aren't getting back catalog titles out faster. We all want them now of course, but some of them do appear to be trying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Very often books in a "series" can be read independently. Eg, someone mentioned that only 5 of Sue Grafton's "Alphabet" series are released as eBooks. That doesn't really matter (to me) because each one is a completely stand-alone book.

Obviously it's different for a "trilogy" where you have one story split across three books.
Naturally, I was talking about "trilogy" series. I can understand if they start from the first book onwards, or from the last book backwards. But why would you skip books in between?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post

I would like to complete my series (a series in my lexicon is a "trilogy" kind of series). So, if I have one book in pbook format, I like the rest in pbook format too. If I have one book in ebook format, I like the rest in ebook format too. There are plenty of books I have in both formats. And library isn't an option as I want to read books when I want to read them, not when the library has them available (if they even have them).

And then there are those out-of-print books, as JSWolf mentioned.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:00 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
And then there are those out-of-print books, as JSWolf mentioned.
Finding 2nd-hand versions of pbacks is rarely a problem. A great resource is:

http://www.abebooks.com (or .co.uk for the UK version)

which lists the stock of thousands of small independend 2nd-hand bookstores.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote