Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Jreach
Jreach began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Multilingual

I have a book already published in paperback. I am wanting to convert it to an ebook for kindle/nook formats.

The book was written in word (docx) format. The book consists of primarily English characters but also has quite a bit of Japanese kanji and katakana in the text of the book.

When I convert the book only the English is present and the Japanese displays random symbols and letters. I am sure its an encoding issue. The question is how do I convert it from word format into an epub format that displays both English and Japanese text?

I have played with the idea of converting the Japanese text into pictures but they come out really grainy and are hard to line up with the existing text.

I have played with calibre and ecub and am running into the following issue.
Jreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
It sounds like you have the wrong encoding specified for either your input document or your output epub or both.

Your best bet is to try and set/convert everything to UTF-8, which will allow both language scripts to live happily side by side.

Hope this helps, and welcome to MobileRead!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Another possibility is that you don't have the Japanese characters available as fonts in your eBook. This may involve embedding a font set.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
extracting a subset with fontforge and embedding it shoulsd suffice too, saving space in the container
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote