Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-27-2019, 01:15 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
I agree, there is no way to do this on epub, so I've abandoned the idea utterly. Also my goal in ebook generation is that the epub2 and and azw3/KF8 should look very similar and be similar to WYSIWG formatted on a small page in the wordprocessor done with no content incompatible to an ebook. I also check that the book is "sane" on a basic mobi viewer & ereader, without publisher font enabled (if that's an option). I check on Kindle, Kobos, Nook, Sony PRS350, Calibre Viewer and various apps on Android phone, Android Tablet and Windows tablet.

This particular project isn't a standalone ebook at all, but an additional complementary way to access the text for the map board game (a large ring bound book so that a double page spread map lies flat for counters/avatars). The text will be in ONE copy of a paperback, printed like a conventional "Plot your own adventure" except there is random access into it from the map location. The choices also have map board related actions and dice throws.

However sometimes there are links internal to an ebook and also to the Internet (where HW & SW of ereader & app support Internet). It's part of quality control to test that ALL links work. Also an anchor for a link to jump to should only be at the start of a paragraph in the original document for maximum conversion compatibility.

I don't see how text and screen size affect properly constructed links and anchors? Maybe I'm not understanding.
You were talking about using some feature in Mobi to freeze the page where the only way out of the frozen page is to use a link to move on.

I do have an idea that would work. You have the last page that has the links to go to wherever. But if someon taps the screen to move on, you can have a few extra pages. Maybe the next page be a copy of the links and the page after that to say to go back. That way, an accidental page turn won't be a spoiler.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:59 PM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Actually even one extra page with a bold Error message/go back and the links would work, if it has page break before on the header style. I'd put a link to the entry of the "Section" too as the "start" of the section reached via TOC or search or whatever from the game board map could be an arbitrary number of pages depending on the screen size, resolution and selected font size and user spacing / margins.

I'll try that and see what the game designer thinks.

I think the structure for a "Turn" using the "book" is
1) Jump to section based on map location or a card. Something like Section 6 where Section 6 is the Section/Chapter/TOC name and the physical page number of the printed book is in a Contents Index.
2) Read text. It might be a description of a place (current map location) or an event (card picked up or given by other player).
3) SOMETIMES: Then you might have to select link based on which character you are playing.
4) Read list of possible directions you might go or actions you might take.
5) Choose the option
6) If it's a direction, then the new page is an identical page to the kind of page in (2), but for the new location you move your piece to on the map. This is the page you start on at the next turn.

This implies there are two lists/kinds of sections:
A) A section you are at (and at 1st page of it) at the start or end of a turn that describes that location. There is exactly one of these sections/chapters for each place in the map book. The map book is actually one big map of the island, but any one game session only uses one double page spread. There will be a goal. It might be reaching a location, or finding thing(s) or both.
B) The other kind of section is actions you choose, not places you are at. Some kinds of actions are not possible for certain characters. They do not affect your map location. Unlike a map game like "Near and Far", you ONLY move on the main map. Maybe some places have sub locations (castle, town, village etc, not sure if that will use separate small maps? He's not decided). The jumped to page (which may differ per character) has the narration for that and may have criteria for success if it's fighting, theft, running away etc.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
non-linear