Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Multiple Authors in toc.ncx ?

I am working on an ebook by multiple authors. I know how I should add them to the opf file, but what's the protocol for adding them to the ncx file?

Is it:
Code:
  <docAuthor>
    <text>Jane Doe</text>
  </docAuthor>
  <docAuthor>
    <text>John Smith</text>
  </docAuthor>
or
Code:
  <docAuthor>
    <text>Jane Doe</text>
    <text>John Smith</text>
  </docAuthor>
or something else entirely?
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I haven't been around too long, and someone might correct me here, but I don't think you need authors in the ncx file. Just in the metadata section of the opf.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
I use this in the OPF metadata either this way

<dc:creator>Author Name1; Author Name 2</dc:creator>
Or
<dc:creator>Author Name1</dc:creator>
<dc:creator>Author Name2</dc:creator>
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I haven't been around too long, and someone might correct me here, but I don't think you need authors in the ncx file. Just in the metadata section of the opf.
Yep, absolutely right. The ncx file only contains information pertaining to navigating the book structure. You shouldn't put any metadata there.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
<docauthor> isn't exactly metadata, it's an element of an ncx file. Look here:

NCX specification as used in EPUB idpf specification document

Wiki description of ncx elements, includes <docauthor>

Anyway, I've found my answer here. It seems the answer is

Code:
  <docAuthor>
    <text>Jane Doe</text>
  </docAuthor>
  <docAuthor>
    <text>John Smith</text>
  </docAuthor>
Of course, whether the current range of reader use it is another question alltogether
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post

NCX specification as used in EPUB idpf specification document

Wiki description of ncx elements, includes <docauthor>

Anyway, I've found my answer here. It seems the answer is

Code:
  <docAuthor>
    <text>Jane Doe</text>
  </docAuthor>
  <docAuthor>
    <text>John Smith</text>
  </docAuthor>
Of course, whether the current range of reader use it is another question alltogether
ePub uses the DTbook specification but only recognizes some of the elements. It does not use the docAuthor from this file.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
The metatdata components of ncx are just vestigial elements of a previous standard that's been superseded and are only allowed for reasons of backwards-compatibility. If you put any metadata there it needs to be exactly the same as that specified in the opf, so it's redundant.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Steven_C
Steven_C began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Nook Classic
Hey, guys and gals. I wasn't too sure if it's kosher or not to revitalize threads this old, but I felt that this pertains to what I want to ask.

I'm working on a book conversion from Word to ePub for a client and the book is a collection of essays that were compiled and edited by two primary editors, but written by many different authors.

While someone is reading this e-book, would it be possible to alternate the author and the title? As an example: the first essay is entitled "Why Live in the "Real" World". When someone is reading this essay, I would like that to take the place of the full text title which is at the top of the right hand page and I would like that particular author's name to take the place of "Calvin College Press".

I'm assuming this is not possible, because I've read through the "Publications 3.0" doc by the IDPF and didn't find anything about this, but I figured you guys would know if anyone would.

Thanks for the help and I hope my question made sense.

Last edited by Steven_C; 07-25-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Getting rid of broken image.
Steven_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_C View Post
Hey, guys and gals. I wasn't too sure if it's kosher or not to revitalize threads this old, but I felt that this pertains to what I want to ask.

I'm working on a book conversion from Word to ePub for a client and the book is a collection of essays that were compiled and edited by two primary editors, but written by many different authors.

While someone is reading this e-book, would it be possible to alternate the author and the title? As an example: the first essay is entitled "Why Live in the "Real" World". When someone is reading this essay, I would like that to take the place of the full text title which is at the top of the right hand page and I would like that particular author's name to take the place of "Calvin College Press".

I'm assuming this is not possible, because I've read through the "Publications 3.0" doc by the IDPF and didn't find anything about this, but I figured you guys would know if anyone would.

Thanks for the help and I hope my question made sense.
This would be a ePub header. Headers and footers are specified in the ePub standard but not supported by most eBook readers. You can read about Headers and footers in our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
Steven_C
Steven_C began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Nook Classic
Thanks.
Steven_C is offline   Reply With Quote