Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #16
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
No, hidden-ness is just a flag.

Any file (or folder) can be hidden in Windows. It's a checkbox in the "properties" option, or a switch on a command-line command. Linux doesn't support anything like that, so far as I know, and I have no clue about the Mac.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #17
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
If I hid calibre's folder in Windows, would calibre be able to find it? Would my online backup program (Carbonite) be able to find it? How would I be able to find it to unhide it?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #18
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I don't know about Carbonite.

You could find it with the preferences setting "show hidden folders".
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #19
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, just for excrement and merriment, I made a test folder on my desktop. I went to properties and hid it. All that happened was it faded onscreen but was still there.

I "unhid" it and copied a couple of Word files that were in easy reach and pasted them into the test folder. I then went to propertiesnand hid it. I got a second pop up menus asking if I wanted to hide the folder only or the folder and all contents. I hid all contents and the test folder disappeared. What happened to it and how can I unhide it? If a program needed to access those hidden files, would it be able to find them? Btw, hiding the folder only just faded the folder.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Ok, just for excrement and merriment, I made a test folder on my desktop. I went to properties and hid it. All that happened was it faded onscreen but was still there.

I "unhid" it and copied a couple of Word files that were in easy reach and pasted them into the test folder. I then went to propertiesnand hid it. I got a second pop up menus asking if I wanted to hide the folder only or the folder and all contents. I hid all contents and the test folder disappeared. What happened to it and how can I unhide it? If a program needed to access those hidden files, would it be able to find them? Btw, hiding the folder only just faded the folder.
Hidden files and folders just can't be browsed to (or Windows would not work )
You must know the exact name (and Path) to use a hidden file.

The reason, the folder "faded" is you have windows show hidden folders and files, otherwise it would just disappear.

Permissions, allows you to control who can see or use files/folders.. not the same as hide-show.

Now, there may be a way that Calibre could (somewhat) control the library folder. (client-server)

The Calibre backend Process is owned by the User: calibre
The user (you) GUI is allowed to control the process, which reads and writes to the folder owned by Calibre.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #21
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Ok, I found out how to find the hidden folders (our posts crossed, Worldwalker, but thanks anyway). I also found out that Carbonite will find and back up files in hidden folders. I'm just wondering now if calibre will be able to find its folder if I hide it.

post edit: Seems we keep crossposting. Talk about timing.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Ok, I found out how to find the hidden folders (our posts crossed, Worldwalker, but thanks anyway). I also found out that Carbonite will find and back up files in hidden folders. I'm just wondering now if calibre will be able to find its folder if I hide it.

post edit: Seems we keep crossposting. Talk about timing.
I hid the only the parent folder.

Calibre started normally.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #23
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

I tried hiding everything and calibre was able to read it just fine. I scanned a book and put it into calibre. Calibre seemed to take it. I unhid calibre's folder and the recently added book was there. So it appears that calibre can fuction just fine when its folder is hidden. Keeping it hidden will reinforce the black box concept; out of sight, out of mind. I also won't have to worry that if someone should get into my computer (not likely but I'm paranoid), they won't be able to get into that file and wipe me out (I have it backed up but restoring back ups is such a hurt in the donkey).
Old 06-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #24
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Use Roman Numerals
You better be smiling when you say that!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #25
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
My ebook collection is about 20GB and growing - I would not be happy with this much data in a database. Also backup becomes horrendous as this is now an amorphous blob that needs backing up in its entirety. Under the current system I can do differential file copies that means in most cases very few files need copying as part of a backup process.
Well, whether it's in a DB or in files it's still gonna be 20gb. There are plenty of DB backup tools that support fine-grained backups -- even more fine-grained than what file-based systems offer.

OTH there's a reason why DB Admin is separate IT specialty -- DBs are hard to maintain and administer. Also I would guess that Sqlite would not scale well. The problem is though, that Calibre functions as the server-side of a client/server system in which our kindles, nooks, iphones, etc are the client side. But the average Calibre user's PC is really a client; and the users are not well-equipped to deal with server-like issues.

However, I have read in several threads here where performance of Calibre for some is an issue. As usage of the product grows, and our eBook libraries also grow (remember it's still early days yet), I wonder what kinds of issues of scale are going to pop up down the road; and whether attention to server-like admin issues is going to be necessary.

As an example of the kinds of issues I'm talking about, I just got finished reading a very long thread here about the catalog feature. There seemed to be an awful lot of issues with the state of individual users' metadata as to whether a catalog could be successfully created. As long as users can muck about with the metadata (as they should), there is always going to be a certain amount of fragility/instability/complexity connected to the product. As Calibre becomes more successful, there are going to be more and more non-technical users which will only make things worse.

The SQL DB idea was only a suggestion that might partially address the problem, but God knows I'm certainly aware of the complexities involved. I'm just raising an issue, but I don't really have any good answers. I just wonder if it weould be possible to make things more bullet-proof. It's late, I'm tired, and I'm not sure I'm making myself clear -- I'm going to go to sleep now...zzz

Last edited by eboyhan; 06-05-2010 at 12:55 AM.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #26
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Just curious... The Calibre folder structure is just how I like except it keeps putting a (?) onto the folder of the book title. Why does it do that and is there a way to stop it from doing that?
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #27
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
Just curious... The Calibre folder structure is just how I like except it keeps putting a (?) onto the folder of the book title. Why does it do that and is there a way to stop it from doing that?
I don't see that - there are no odd chars in my folder titles. What OS are you on? Even if there were odd chars in the folder structure, I wouldn't see them, because you aren't supposed to access the Calibre library folders directly and I never have any reason to go there. You shouldn't either. You should be using Save to Disk for exporting your books out of Calibre.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
Are you talking about folders on your device?

That is controlled by the Add/save PREFERENCE templates.
? is a wild card in Windows and *nix and should not be used in a file name.
Some systems insert a ? for non-recognized characters (or font does not contain) Stick to A-z, 0-9 for best results in folder names.

Tick "Convert Non-English Chars to English Equivalents" on the Save Tab

(you should not be messing with the folders in the Calibre Library. Use the Interface to transfer copies to your device)
Old 06-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #29
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It's the folders in the Calibre Library. I'm on a Mac. I just realized what it is... it's adding the number to the book folder in the order that they were added to Calibre.

I'm just trying to make sense of things. I just don't know why it adds a number. Usually an OS doesn't add a number like that unless there's something else with that exact name.

Here's a screenshot.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #30
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The number is the internal database id for the book. It is the way that Calibre can handle duplicates/collisions because they will have different ID's.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote