Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #15631
samosa
Groupie
samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, AuraHD, AuraH2O, GloHD, Mini, DXG, PW123, Voyage, NookSTG
Just tested the 50JUN code in the Canadian store and it still works. Have to get a few books for a diploma I'm studyinig for so this code comes in really handy!
samosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #15632
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa View Post
Just tested the 50JUN code in the Canadian store and it still works. Have to get a few books for a diploma I'm studyinig for so this code comes in really handy!
Just tried it on the US site and it worked! I'd missed a book when I first used the code and then got an error message when I tried it yesterday. But it works today so yay!
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #15633
Susan A
Groupie
Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Aura H20
50JUN still working in US
Susan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:02 PM   #15634
Docno
Connoisseur
Docno has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad2
50JUN

Yep - indeed it's working again in the Canadian store! A book I wasn't able to buy yesterday with the code I was just able to buy now. Kobo works in mysterious ways...
Docno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #15635
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
No longer working for me in the Canada store. I had one more book I wanted to buy, but no biggie - I'll wait for some other sale.

I was quick enough though to get to use this on the Mr and Mrs North titles from Richard and Frances Lockridge, issued in ebook by Open Road a while back, but at prices of $7-ish and $8-ish, which I will never pay for books I have already in DTB.

But with the coupon and the extra VIP, they were just inside my upper limit for DTB-replacement, and since I love the series, I snagged the lot with the coupon.

Happy days!
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #15636
Docno
Connoisseur
Docno has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad2
Yep, the party's over in Canada. Bought about 25 new books this round (mostly behavioral science, photography, and history--never cheap). But I still miss the days of the 90% discounts (on everything) at the Indian store. :-)
Docno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #15637
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Kobo Canada's Canada Day long weekend promo is up as their "Summer Reading Event" sale, and it's for markdowns to $4.99 and below and 5x super points on the discounted titles in selected lists (the 5x offer does not seem to apply to books outside the promo) until July 6th.

Main page here, and the categories are for: Fabulous Fiction, Homemade: Bestselling Fiction from Canada's Independent Presses, Mysteries & Thrillers, Fabulous Romance from Canadian authors & publishers, Biographies & Memoirs, Health, History & Big Ideas, Science Fiction & Fantasy, Children's Literature & YA

Many of the books are from some imprint or other of the Big 6, but there are a number of couponable/VIP extra 10% off eligible selections from medium-size publishers and some indies, and of course there's a focus on Canadian authors and history in the lot, so it's a good time to pick up some Margaret Atwood or Guy Gavriel Kay et al. if you were missing some of their semi-recent work or wanted to learn a lot about hockey, arctic exploration, and beavers.

Last edited by ATDrake; 06-30-2016 at 10:30 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:05 PM   #15638
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The francophone portion of Kobo Canada is also having a "Lectures d'été" holiday long weekend sale, for a rotating selection of different titles every day, it seems. They're all marked down to $3.99, and will give you 5x super bonus points, and it's "100 romans différents chaque jour" (100 different novels every day) spread across 8 categories. A lot of them seem to be from publisher Bragelonne, who are DRM-free, and normally price their stuff starting at $8.99 CAD and above.

It's actually a really good selection today if you read science fiction in French, whether translated or otherwise: they have some Pierre Pevel and Fabrice Colin (both winners of the Prix Imaginaire) as well as other French-native sf/fantasy authors, and translated titles by Connie Willis, Arthur C. Clarke, Kim Newman, Tanya Huff, and more. I'd rather a stable list to choose from at my leisure over the weekend, but if they really are going to switch in a bunch of new $3.99+5x Bonus Points SF/F titles every day, I think I'll actually be buying a lot more from the French Canada sale than the English one.

Linkage to the promo page, and categories for easy browsing of the lists without having a Canadian IP/account: SF, Fantasy, Littérature, Romance contemporaine, Romance historique, Thrillers, Bit-lit (which seems to be the term for paranormal romance), Jeune adultes, Terreur.

ETA: this is until July 3rd, according to the notice at the bottom, and appears to be roughly coincidental with a broader #GrosseOP sale event by Bragelonne which their blog says ran from June 27th to July 1st (but definitely did not seem to be up at Kobo Canada in the past couple of days, since I was checking some francophone stuff a couple of days ago and don't recall seeing the banner then), so the prices (minus the bonus points extra offer) are probably available at other retailers worldwide which sell Bragelonne e-books.

There are also lingering French Canadian promos for up to 60% on Canadiana, 3 books for the price of 2, and the general promotions page has a bunch of markdowns, generally to $7 CAD or below (which is cheap for French books in Canada), including a lot of translated mystery/thrillers and science fiction, if you were looking to try some of your favourite authors in French to practice.

These will probably get rotated at the beginning of the month (the Trudi Canavan ones from Bragelonne have already had their sale prices expire).

ETA: There's also a 1st-in-series for $1.99 sale for francophone titles, all translated works from the looks of it, across multiple genres including historical romance and YA adventure and others, good through July 1st.

Last edited by ATDrake; 07-01-2016 at 04:37 AM. Reason: I accidentally a word. And they moved the categories around.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #15639
datcha
Connoisseur
datcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo
Sale in France

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
The francophone portion of Kobo Canada is also having a "Lectures d'été" holiday long weekend sale, for a rotating selection of different titles every day, it seems. They're all marked down to $3.99, and will give you 5x super bonus points, and it's "100 romans différents chaque jour" (100 different novels every day) spread across 8 categories. A lot of them seem to be from publisher Bragelonne, who are DRM-free, and normally price their stuff starting at $8.99 CAD and above.

It's actually a really good selection today if you read science fiction in French, whether translated or otherwise: they have some Pierre Pevel and Fabrice Colin (both winners of the Prix Imaginaire) as well as other French-native sf/fantasy authors, and translated titles by Connie Willis, Arthur C. Clarke, Kim Newman, Tanya Huff, and more. I'd rather a stable list to choose from at my leisure over the weekend, but if they really are going to switch in a bunch of new $3.99+5x Bonus Points SF/F titles every day, I think I'll actually be buying a lot more from the French Canada sale than the English one.
Possibly related, a similar sale in France by Chapitre.com and Kobobooks.

See my post on the general bargain thread

But the price is only 0.99 euros. I am interested to know whether it is accessible outside France.
datcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:40 AM   #15640
ATDrake
Wizzard

Kobo UK are offering a Summer Reading Sale, which is officially "Buy One, Get One Half Price on Summer Bestsellers with WH Smiths", until August 31st.

Main sale page, and categories as follows: Fiction, Crime & Thrillers, Romance & Sagas, Non fiction, SF & Fantasy, Kids & Teens.

A decent spread of titles at all price points, from £0.99 and up.

There's actually some fairly interesting stuff in the non-fiction, but the one book I really want from it doesn't pair well with anything else I'd truly like, although there is one Nordic Noir title written by an author I haven't tried before which isn't available yet in North America and which is otherwise not discountable and unlikely to drop much in price on its own. And the book I do want costs nearly 4x as much at its regular price from a different publisher in Canada. Well, assuming the prices don't fluctuate unfavourably, I have the next two months to decide.

Also, July 6th is the last day for the Kobo Canada Summer Reading sale with 5x bonus points on their select lists of holiday-discounted titles (actually pretty good if you want Canadian literature, as you can get a substantial chunk of Robertson Davies (Wikipedia) at just $2.99 CAD) and Kobo US' equivalent sale which not only has its own discount titles but also offers you 4x Super Bonus Points on every purchase regardless of whether it's part of the official sale or not.

Last edited by ATDrake; 07-06-2016 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Now sorted by price.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:30 AM   #15641
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post

Also, July 6th is the last day for the Kobo Canada Summer Reading sale with 5x bonus points on their select lists of holiday-discounted titles (actually pretty good if you want Canadian literature, as you can get a substantial chunk of Robertson Davies (Wikipedia) at just $2.99 CAD) .
Thanks for the heads up. Robertson Davies is a huge favorite of mine and I'd love to replace my yellowing Penguins.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #15642
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Robertson Davies is a huge favorite of mine and I'd love to replace my yellowing Penguins.

I collect Robertson Davis in hardcover and try to get every one of his titles in ebook.

He was a great writer and should have won the Nobel Prize in Literature.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:18 AM   #15643
ferrywoman
Groupie
ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Air 2
Kobo Canada currently has a 50% unlimited code: 50SUN

Says on select titles but links to https://kobo.com/discountable so most probably works on any couponable book. It does for me on every book I've tried.

No idea how long the promo will last.
ferrywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:23 AM   #15644
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I collect Robertson Davies in hardcover and try to get every one of his titles in ebook.

He was a great writer and should have won the Nobel Prize in Literature.
Yes, he should have.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-09-2016 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Davis to Davies
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:28 AM   #15645
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrywoman View Post
Kobo Canada currently has a 50% unlimited code: 50SUN
Thanks! I just used it on two monthly-sale books I'd been eyeing. ETA: tested and non-functioning in the US & UK thus far on the titles I tried.

For the francophone readers, Kobo Canada is having a 3 for 2 sale on Québécois authors, out from publisher L'Éditions Goélette/Coup d'œil (official webstore, Facebook), from the looks of it. Unusually for a francophone publisher, they are couponable, so if there's anything that looks interesting, the 50% coupon will be a better deal while it lasts. The starting price seems to be a uniform $11.99 CAD.

Links in case you want to browse the sale: Thriller et suspenses (has some books by Martin Michaud (Wikipedia FR), a recipient of the Arthur Ellis Award, our top national mystery/crime writing prize which is awarded in bilingual categories, as well as some other monolingual awards; Le chorale du diable in the sale is the actual Arthur Ellis-winner, and Je me souviens also has a bunch of honours listed in its blurb), Romans et sagas historiques, Histoires vraies et mémoires, La grande série populaire de Sonia Marmen (Sonia Marmen (Wikipedia FR) is a bestselling author who's garnered an award or two), Une saga familiale au coeur des Cantons de l'est ! (by Louise Simard (Wikipedia), a multiple prize-winning author who was also nominated for the Governor-General's Award, which is pretty much our top literary fiction prize)

Not part of the sale, but featured on the francophone monthly promo page (where incidentally there is a huge chunk of translated James Patterson, Mary Higgins Clark, Patricia MacDonald, and Ken Follett discounted to $7 and under, which is cheap for French books in Canada), are couponable childrens' titles from publisher Les Malins as part of the following listing: Lecture pour ados et jeunes adultes

Last edited by ATDrake; 07-07-2016 at 02:18 AM.

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals