Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
maxmax
maxmax began at the beginning.

Device: none
Dictionary / Cross-References

Two-part question.
Is there any way to add a dictionary function to eBooks. So I can highlight a word and get the definition. Would there also be a way to cross-reference between eBooks. So, like the dictionary, if I highlighted something it would tell me what other books have the same thing.
maxmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:26 AM   #2
maxmax

I just saw a post from April mentioning dictionaries and the desire for one.
Has anything happened since then. Is there any eBook format that comes with dictionary capabilities.
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 02:47 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmax View Post
Has anything happened since then. Is there any eBook format that comes with dictionary capabilities.
Dictionaries are a function of the ereader not the ebook itself. Most newer ereaders have dictionaries built in. Calibre's ebook viewer also has the ability to lookup a word. You just need to highlight a word, right click and have the word looked up in an online dictionary.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:54 AM   #4
maxmax

@dwanthny, thank you. I am obviously new to all this and truly appreciate the quick tip lesson.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:00 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I know that the Mobipocket reader (as in the PC software, and I know the Bookeen Mobipocket firmwares have it) has good dictionary support. Other than that, different readers have different (?) dictionary support that I wouldn't bet on to be interchangeable. You can't add dictionary support to an ebook, though, as has been mentioned above.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
add-on, cross-reference, dictionary