Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Do you annotate PDFs on Kindle? Well, you could!

I always thought Kindle had made a reasonable and intelligent compromise when it comes to annotating and highlighting the ebook formats it supports.
I made my points elsewhere so I won't go through that here again.

But, you cannot take notes on PDFs ... or could you?

Well, you could!

You just need to "mobize" the PDF. Here's a little proof-of-concept example.

1. Say, we have this PDF (just one dummy page for simplicity).

2. Now, you slice it into small jpg horizontal stripes (see attached)

3. Put all the slices in an html file, one below the other (see the attached text.zip file)

4. Generate a mobi file out of the html (attached also).

5. Fire it to your Kindle
And there you go!: every slice is an independent picture in a mobi file, so you can put your note on each stripe; and that's more or less what's needed.
(N.B. I reduced these screenshots for this post, they really look much better and totally alright on my Kindle DX; try the attached .mobi yourself!)

I know, I know ... the quality isn't perfect, but hey, I said it was just a proof-or-concept.

I got a bit rusty in programming and don't have too much time, but maybe there is someone around here willing to jump on this and bundle all this workflow (I did with several tools) in a neat all-in-one tool, for the joy of all the PDF-crippled Kindle users?

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slice1.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	45079   Click image for larger version

Name:	slice2.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	45080   Click image for larger version

Name:	slice3.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	45081   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-1.gif
Views:	4366
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	45086   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-2.gif
Views:	4294
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	45087  
Attached Files
File Type: zip test.zip (409.1 KB, 292 views)
File Type: mobi test.mobi (441.0 KB, 280 views)
File Type: pdf start_from_this.pdf (14.9 KB, 649 views)

Last edited by johndoesecond; 02-05-2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: typos
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
That's really thinking outside the box! Very interesting approach. Very cool. I look forward to following your progress.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
neadams99
neadams99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2, 3, KFire, Samsung Epic 4G
Whoa! If only I was brave enough try that!
neadams99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
...that's a brilliant work-around, kudos.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
jernej
jernej began at the beginning.

Device: none
Do you still use this approach...I read that you can annotate PDF files on Kindle 3. generation...what about Kindle 2 DX ?
jernej is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jernej View Post
Do you still use this approach...I read that you can annotate PDF files on Kindle 3. generation...what about Kindle 2 DX ?
No, I haven't played with it any longer, as soon as I heard K3 has it.

I hope and pray they put it on DXs, both old and new.
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
jernej
jernej began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yeah there's really nothing else we can do besides hoping and praying.....can we do a petition or something and send it to amazon
jernej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #8
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
This is the same approach that PDF printer programs take when they convert mixed media to PDF.

I could see you running into some problems however...
You would have to scale the DPI of the image strips to display properly on the screen, or it would look odd on the 6 in, I don't think you really expect to view a whole A4/letter on a k2/3 so you will have to figure out how to manage this (horizontal 2 page view?).

IMO it's kind of a backward workaround for a problem that could easily be fixed by some minor work on the PDF viewer itself.

Perhaps this will come to all previous versions when they do major updates with lending or whatever new BS they have to implement.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote