Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
mario40
Enthusiast
mario40 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: no e-reader
Looking for the best e-reader for e-paper

Here are 2 posts for this new thread - thanks to Wallcraft:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

First post:

Hello,
having several subscriptions for e-paper newspapers and journals I download this with their URL`s including user name and password in pdf format to my MacBook for reading.

As a "mobile" PC has several disadvantages to read in different places and having few basic informations about the e-book devices I like to ask you in this forum: what is the best e-paper reader actually?

As I am traveling a lot, for me it would be important to download at any place by WLAN the e-paper in pdf directly to the e-reader (if possible without using a PC between). In order to read, it would be nice to avoid any additional steps beside first-time-configuration for reading (the parameters to get optimal reading conditions).

Any help is very useful.

Thank you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second post:

There are few questions for me if the iLiad 2nd edition is the choice for e-paper reading:

Wi-Fi:
I am living and travelling in Europe. There are enough Wi-Fi/WLAN connection points (offices, Interent shops, HotSpots, Hotels, Restaurants, airports,….). Is it easy to connect with Wi-Fi with the iLiad2 like with a PC (open networks and secure networks with name and WEP/WPA password)?

The "Guardian24 automatic download" and downloading of e-paper in general:
I Iost to much time in the past with computers to write „just a little command“ or a „simple software modification“ to do something special. Reading this thread it remains me to the past.
May the time is not ready to use this e-readers for e-paper and not only for e-books? If I spend between 300 and 600 Euro for such a reader I expect to have a product ready for my use (off course I have to configure once the parameters for my use). It is very easy to purchase an e-book and to read it on this e-readers. It should be the same with subscribed e-papers if there is enough interest in the market (newspaper ad journals in the Internet as pdf files, where I enter my username and password to download pdf files and I read with Adobe´s software PDF Reader).

Quality of PDF` reading:
This is a important point. I have never seen or used a iLiad2. May you know if the iLiad2 is automaticly selecting the best page view (makeup of the page)? The size of a newspaper is different to the size of the e-reader display.

RSS feeds:
There is a simular question as with newspapers as e-paper. Using internationally such an e-reader to read RSS feeds, I can not limit to feeds offered by an special network. Like with a computer I like to select any RSS feed in the world (mainly all are free available).
With my iPhone I read any RSS feed in the world very simply. But we agree even a smartphone like the iPhone is a small PC with all disadvantages of LCD-based mobile computers.

Well, there are many questions and issues to use e-readers for e-paper. The e-readers with e-ink are so far made basically for e-books. No question, e-readers also a very useful tools to read e-papers.

and

Last edited by mario40; 09-05-2008 at 11:04 AM.
mario40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Eink device: unique answer Iliad (wireless, screen size, etc…).

My personal experience from your post: Tabletpc.
You get the best of all: computer, ebook reader, outstanding A4 Pdf display, colours, etc... (the quality you state and need).
Connections: wifi, 3G, you name it. You get everything you want anywhere... and with the same device, you still can do your normal work/leisure life.
Much more - well yesterday I have found a Fujitsu 12” new tablet for 999 euros in my country, but it’s not a rule - then your 600 euro limit.

Against: it's not eInk, battery life, weight. Screen almost useless to see outside (at least compared with Eink).

In between: something like the eepc.
Just seen the 901 windows home: 4 + 8 SSD, 1 gig of ram, 1 kilo, more then 4 hours battery.
You will have to read your PDF’s in landscape, but can read any commercial eBook format you want.
It’s 1/2 of your 600 euro limit.

Good shopping,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
mario40
Enthusiast

e-reader for e-paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Eink device: unique answer Iliad (wireless, screen size, etc…).
Against: it's not eInk, battery life, weight. Screen almost useless to see outside (at least compared with Eink).
I agree with all the advantages of a good tablePC. But your "Against" arguments are the reason for me to look to an e-ink device for e-paper reading,

I have two new MacBooks, one with 13 inch, one with 17 inch LCD, both are very good portable PC`s with everything you can expect from a mobile computer. They are also comfortable to read e-papers as long as I am inside a building, sitting on a table. I prefer to read,whenever possible, outside. Neither the power consumption nor the weight are conditions to carry your electrocic papers around like newspapers and journals. May I like to read at the evening in the bed. May I like to read at a sunny beach. Also a good time to read is If you are travelling by bus, train or plane.

I belife, e-readers are the right terminals. Today they are optimized to read e-books. Companies like Amazon are selling the Kindle e-book readers with the goal to sell their books.

Therefore my question is still open: Is there now an e-reader available offering the ability to download from the Internet and read without compromise e-papers like newspaper and jounals?
Relating to the price: Every new product is starting with a relative high price until the quantitiy (and competition) is getting up. It`s up to the customers if they want to have the product early or to wait.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The iLiad is still your best bet. It is supported by several newspapers in Europe.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Outside: just one answer (as you already have found) = eInk.

The nearest eInk device for what you need is, of course, the Iliad.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
mario40
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The iLiad is still your best bet. It is supported by several newspapers in Europe.
This means we can read only supported newspaper?

What about not supported newspapers?

You know what is technically the difference between suppored and unsupported newspaper?

Old 09-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=mario40;248315]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This means we can read only supported newspaper?

What about not supported newspapers?

You know what is technically the difference between suppored and unsupported newspaper?

You can read anything on it that the two readers available on it will read. What I was saying is the several newspapers in Europe include this hardware in a special subscription service and specifically chose it for their newspapers. The iLiad has wifi support in one model and can download books with a little help in setup and is a general purpose reader. It supports PDF, Mobi, and all the formats that FB Reader supports. Read about this in the wiki.

It has the largest e-INK screen currently available which is useful but not essential for newspapers depending on the format and very important for PDF support.

Dale
Old 09-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
mario40
Enthusiast

Looking for the best e-reader for e-paper -3

[QUOTE=DaleDe;248345][QUOTE=mario40;248315]

You can read anything on it that the two readers available on it will read.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Dale,
thank you for this helpful answer.

Do I understand correctly the quality of directly downloaded subscribed newspapers (Wi-Fi > e-paper site of newspaper > login by username and password > pdf download to the iLiad2 > read) is the same as for newspapers from the special subscription service available for the iLiad in Europe ?

If this is the case than I have to found a place in Europe where I can see and test shortly the iLad 2. edition. My I can found some place either in the Munich area in Germany or around Genova in Italy. I am mostly in this areas.

Anybody in this forum where I can see this product ?

Regards

Mario
Old 09-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Mario40,

If you purchase the iLiad, Feedbooks.com will allow you to create your own newpapers from the newspaper's RSS feeds. You can read more about it here. You can even turn the feeds into a pdf.

Also this newspaper feature works for most (if not all) the major eBook reading devices.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Here are some of the European newspapers that have iLiad editions.
http://www.tijd.be/ De Tijd,
http://www.ifra.com/ IFRA]
http://www.lesechos.fr/ Les Echos
http://epaper.nrc.nl NRC Handelsblad
Old 09-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #11
mario40
Enthusiast

Newspaper with iLiad

Murphy`s law: I luck for German and Italian and US newspaper and journals.

But again if I can download directly to the iLiad than it would be fine.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #12
mario40
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=daffy4u;248621]Mario40,

If you purchase the iLiad, Feedbooks.com will allow you to create your own newpapers from the newspaper's RSS feeds.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand this software works only with Windows. I have Mac`s with OS X.

My main interest are standard newspapers and journals not so much RSS feeds.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
[QUOTE=mario40;249529]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Mario40,

If you purchase the iLiad, Feedbooks.com will allow you to create your own newpapers from the newspaper's RSS feeds.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand this software works only with Windows. I have Mac`s with OS X.

My main interest are standard newspapers and journals not so much RSS feeds.
I don't think that's true. The papers are being created on the Feedbooks website and you just download them. Once they're on your device, you click a link inside the paper to update it.

To be on the safe side and know for sure, contact Hadrien using the "e-mail us" link on the upper right side of page I sent you to.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #14
mario40
Enthusiast

e-reader for e-paper - key question

The key question for reading newspaper and magazins on a e-reader is still not answered:

Can I download individual selected e-paper newspapers and magazins with a terminal like the iLiad 2nd Edition with WLAN/Wi-Fi from the internet directly (no PC/Mac in between) like doing actually with a PC/Mac with WLAN ?
I know this is possible with e-books and I understand this is the standard use of e-readers so far.

The steps with a PC/Mac downloading e-paper versions of newspapers are:
Making a subscription of the specific newspaper/magazin at the publishers.
Making the login at the specific site of the publisher, entering username and password.
Selecting the date (and eventually the amount of content) of the newspaper to download.
Starting the downloading as Adobe PDF to the PC/Mac. Reading the newspaper on the LCD monitor of the PC/Mac with the Adobe PDF Reader.

So far I was not able to get an precise answer regarding this question. I contacted iRex and I never got an answer. I contacted sales organsitations, selling e-readers - no answer.

I am not looking in RSS feeds. There are many programs for downloading RSS feeds to terminals like Smartphones (what I am doing with a iPhone) or to e-readers.

My last hope is to get an answer in this forum.

Last edited by mario40; 09-13-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No. Newspapers don't sell content that way. There's no technical reason it couldn't be done, but it simply isn't, at present.

Fictionwise sell a number of magazines in eBook formats - mainly SF and mystery.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, puppy!