Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
justlizz
Connoisseur
justlizz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
charging

I have not used my reader for the last few weeks as I am trying to save books for my holiday when I tried to charge via computer tonight as battery was dead left it plugged in for 4 hrs with no result still dead battery so plugged in mains charger within half an hour full charge showing is this normal?
lizz
justlizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I'm assuming when you say mains charger you are talking about a wall charger?

The charging light on the Reader went out after 30 minutes of charging?

I would leave it charging overnight. Just to make sure it is fully charged.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I'm assuming when you say mains charger you are talking about a wall charger?

The charging light on the Reader went out after 30 minutes of charging?

I would leave it charging overnight. Just to make sure it is fully charged.
You are correct. When they refer to 'mains' in the UK they mean a wall plug.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlizz View Post
I have not used my reader for the last few weeks as I am trying to save books for my holiday when I tried to charge via computer tonight as battery was dead left it plugged in for 4 hrs with no result still dead battery so plugged in mains charger within half an hour full charge showing is this normal?
lizz
By "is this normal", do you mean is it normal for it to take *forever* for a dead battery to charge via USB (computer) but take a much shorter time to charge via a mains (wall) charger? If so, then yes, that is normal.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
By "is this normal", do you mean is it normal for it to take *forever* for a dead battery to charge via USB (computer) but take a much shorter time to charge via a mains (wall) charger? If so, then yes, that is normal.

Sayhello
You don't mention which USB standard is used on your PC, or whether you are using a USB hub, so it's hard to say exactly. Here's the problem: The USB 1 standard failed to specify voltage so most manufacturers sent no power at all through to USB 1 connectors. USB 2 does specify sending voltage to attached devices but it is a low power level. Most USB hubs don't send power to the connectors unless the hub has its own power source: a plug to the power main. The small, unpowered hub I use with my laptop is like that: even though the machine has USB2 hubs, there is no power sent to devices connected through the unpowered hub.

My PRS always charges faster through the mainline connection, so if you get a quick charge through the transformer plugged into the power main, it sounds like your experience is normal.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
justlizz
Connoisseur
justlizz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Thank you for your replies in the UK the 505 is only sold with a computer USB lead but I bought the mains charger thank goodness I did as it seems not to charge when the battery runs flat
lizz
justlizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
500's don't charge from USB when completely flat, but 505's do (when attatched to a PC), which is why Sony stopped bundling a mains charger with the 505. It can take a long time though and mains chargers are both faster & more convienient...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
And since you can buy a cheap PSP charger on eBay they are also quite economical. I know my charger cost less than U$5.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
Jacobdan
Jacobdan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
You don't mention which USB standard is used on your PC, or whether you are using a USB hub, so it's hard to say exactly. Here's the problem: The USB 1 standard failed to specify voltage so most manufacturers sent no power at all through to USB 1 connectors. USB 2 does specify sending voltage to attached devices but it is a low power level. Most USB hubs don't send power to the connectors unless the hub has its own power source: a plug to the power main. The small, unpowered hub I use with my laptop is like that: even though the machine has USB2 hubs, there is no power sent to devices connected through the unpowered hub.

My PRS always charges faster through the mainline connection, so if you get a quick charge through the transformer plugged into the power main, it sounds like your experience is normal.
hey there, just got a Sony Reader PRS-600 and everything firn for first go to set up, download ebooks and even recharge via USB. Went back to laptop to recharge via USB and laptop (and desktop) give error message "USB not recognised" ?

Any ideas on why cant link via USB and recharge ?
(reader shows USB connection image on screen)

Thanks, Dan
Jacobdan is offline   Reply With Quote