Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
xibalban
Connoisseur
xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
eInk Reader I seek, but which?

Hi folks,

I've just registered and am here with the ubiquitous question: which one to buy?

Yes, I have read tons of threads here and have still been uncertain before I pull the trigger on my first eReader. The following will help you folks to lead me into the right direction.

1. Which file-type(s) do I wish to read the books in?
Standard Sized (A4) PDF with quite a bit of graphics. Books on Electrical Engineering, Wood-working, Civil Designs & Measurement Sheets, some Farming and Agriculture related books too. A few cartoons (comics) too sometimes.

2. Oh, then I need an iPad or other Tablets due to the above usage?
Sorry, I prefer eInk and please don't suggest tablets to me. I aim for the real paper-like reading experience and can live with black & white. I also prefer weeks long battery life.

3. Display size?
Between 6.8" (Aura HD & Onyx Lynx) to 9.7" (Kindle DX and others) or you tell me.

4. Budget?
US $200-250. Can't go for Sony Digital Paper, sorry.

5. TTS?
Wouldn't mind but isn't indispensable.

6. Other preferences?
Good hardware specification (processor & RAM), night light, SD Card Slot, multiple file support (or ability to jailbreak and install better apps)

7. Any considerations?
Yes, I shortlisted the following:

a) Onyx Boox T68

b) Kobo Aura HD

c) Pocketbook Inkpad 840

...or wait till fall for Amazon to improve PDF support on its Kindle.

Please advise, and let's debate further. Thanks in advance.
xibalban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Between the Kobo and the T68, this review and what I've heard here on MR suggests the T68 for PDFs, plus you get apps!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
xibalban
Connoisseur
xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Between the Kobo and the T68, this review and what I've heard here on MR suggests the T68 for PDFs, plus you get apps!
Thank you for the response. Two reasons why I tend to lean toward the Aura HD:

i) Screen Quality as in crisp, clearer and more responsive and snappier.
ii) Minimal bezel, and no hardware buttons making it simpler to look at. I dislike the cover though.

I wish the Aura HD had Open Android too. Is it possible to install koreader on
the Kobo? How?
Old 08-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

KOReader is available for Kindle, Kobo, and Android: KOReader

KOReader = good move. Much better support for PDF than default on either Kindle or Kobo.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
xibalban
Connoisseur

Quote:
KOReader is available for Kindle, Kobo, and Android: KOReader

KOReader = good move. Much better support for PDF than default on either Kindle or Kobo.

That's great news. The review comparison video link that you'd posted earlier didn't have good things to talk about the lynx. So, let's talk more about the Aura HD. Is it possible to sideload other reading apps like Aldiko, Kindle, Adobe Reader, etc?
Old 08-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

There is an Android build for the Kobo: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231681

That would allow you to run apps. Otherwise no.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
xibalban
Connoisseur

Quote:
There is an Android build for the Kobo: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231681

That would allow you to run apps. Otherwise no.

Install the android on kobo, but why dual-boot? Couldn't I just install the kobo android app. Or, is the app restrictive?
Old 08-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xibalban View Post
Install the android on kobo, but why dual-boot? Couldn't I just install the kobo android app. Or, is the app restrictive?
Probably best to ask the people who know.

If I had to guess, though, I'd say because replacing the Kobo firmware with Android is rather permanent, so they opted for providing a ready-packaged method that didn't cut off your options. I am sure you could wipe the Kobo firmware if you really wanted to.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #9
xibalban
Connoisseur

Thanks for your inputs, so far. I almost feel like
taking the Aura dive. Yet, perhaps there's more to discover from Inkpad, or other readers. Let's reserve some space for alternatives too.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Not Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by xibalban View Post
Hi folks,

I've just registered and am here with the ubiquitous question: which one to buy?
Now is not the time unless you absolutely must have one now. Wait til the Fall when Amazon and others will be releasing new models. In any event, goodereader.com is the first place that I would check for guidance. No offense intended for this site
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
But realistically, most suggest a tablet of some kind for PDF over eInk. Even the 9.7" screen sized eInk is not nearly as good as an iPad with the Goodreader app.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But realistically, most suggest a tablet of some kind for PDF over eInk. Even the 9.7" screen sized eInk is not nearly as good as an iPad with the Goodreader app.
And because I have the magical gift of reading comprehension, I read the first post where the OP said that tablets have been considered and summarily rejected.

Tablets are indeed better -- unless the person asking considers the back/non-lit, e-ink, long-lived nature of an ereader to outweigh the benefits of a device with a refresh rate fast enough to smoothly scroll, enough RAM to fluidly handle large PDFs, etc, and a total inability to read in the sunlight.

It is also why the Onyx T68 has made a hit with many people.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
And because I have the magical gift of reading comprehension, I read the first post where the OP said that tablets have been considered and summarily rejected.

Tablets are indeed better -- unless the person asking considers the back/non-lit, e-ink, long-lived nature of an ereader to outweigh the benefits of a device with a refresh rate fast enough to smoothly scroll, enough RAM to fluidly handle large PDFs, etc, and a total inability to read in the sunlight.

It is also why the Onyx T68 has made a hit with many people.
I know tablets have been rejected, but for the types of PDF the OP wants to view, there is not an eInk device (other then the new Sony 13.3" eInk PDF Reader) that will work well enough. There is no 9.7", 6", or 6.8" eInk Reader that will work well enough with all of those PDF. Such a device just doesn't yet exists and I don't think such ever will.

But to keep on topic, The only eInk device I think would work (currently) is the Sony Digital Paper DPTS1

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-17-2014 at 04:02 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know tablets have been rejected, but for the types of PDF the OP wants to view, there is not an eInk device (other then the new Sony 13.3" eInk PDF Reader) that will work well enough. There is no 9.7", 6", or 6.8" eInk Reader that will work well enough with all of those PDF. Such a device just doesn't yet exists and I don't think such ever will
That is your opinion.

OPINION!!!

"Well enough" for you is apparently different than for all the people who are very happy with their graphical diagram-filled PDFs on their Onyx T68.

Your opinion has been duly noted, your concerns expressed. The OP can now make up his own mind about it.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #15
DrPrince
Nameless Being

Kindle Paperwhite or Kobo aura hd or Onyx boox t68 with koreader did the job.

Still waiting the much anticipated Onyx Boox i86