Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #361
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
They were flying at cruising speed, now. Vivaldi had his head hanging out the window.

"How do you do that?"

"What?"

"Hang your head out when we're doing one hundred knots."

"I dunno. How do I talk? Ask the writer, he's the one making this stuff up."

"See anything?"

"Yeah. There's the fish now."

"Look, I'm not going to do a whole 'Who's on First' routine with you about the double meaning of 'fish.' Do you mean, there is the submarine we are looking for, which I am calling 'fish' or do you mean there is the great, wide ocean, full of fish, which I am saying I see in hopes that you will fall for it and we can get into a hilarious argument?"

Vivaldi looked down at his paws. "The latter," he mumbled.

"Let me know when you see the submarine, which for sake of argument I will allow us to refer to as "the" fish."

Grumble grumble grumble. "Check."

A short time later, Vivaldi started yapping excitedly. "There it is!"

Harv looked out his side window and saw the submarine. Vivaldi was singing some nonsense song about fish. He circled around the boat. There was activity on deck.

"Ah, Mr Wallbanger! Excellent piloting! Now, this one is very important. We have no way of communicating with the submarine, since they are under strict radio silence.

"You must do exactly as I say. They will now set off two smoke trails. You must land nearest the proper one, or they will fire upon us. Ah. They have released the smoke. You may now land."

Harv looked at the submarine. Smoke trailed from each end. "Which one?" he asked.

"The blue one, next to the fish, will do."

Last edited by pshrynk; 11-14-2008 at 02:18 PM.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #362
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
:rimshotsmilie: !!

ahh, here it is
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #363
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
"Look, I'm not going to do a whole 'Who's on First' routine with you about the double meaning of 'fish.'"
aw !! that would have been hilarious !!!

Quote:
"You must do exactly as I say. They will now set off two smoke trails. you must land nearest the proper one, or they will fire upon us. Ah. they have released the smoke. You may now land."

Harv looked at the submarine. Smoke trailed from each end. "Which one?" he asked.

"The blue one, next to the fish, will do."
and, in the category of "premeditation", the joke set up farthest in advance, ladies and gentlemen, we give you The Blue Smoke next to the Submarine !!!!

:standing ovation:

:thecrowdgoeswild:

zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #364
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Author's note: I'm going to start running out of tropes before too long. If you have an oldie but goodie you'd like to have me work in, PM me.

Last edited by pshrynk; 11-14-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #365
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
ouch. sorry about that. if it helps at all, might i offer this humble url : deezer.com.

a friend of mine dropped his cell phone into the chemical toilets of a train. this was about 10 or 12 years ago, when cell phones first appeared, and were by no means common... or cheap. [...] it's served as a lesson to me though, in fact i'm quite paranoid about not dropping anything into a toilet. it helps that i rarely wear shirts with pockets on the chest.
Oh, if only someone had called that number when the port-a-potty was occupied!

OK, WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED? I only just found this thread and spent the whole afternoon catching up. Who do I have to meld with to get on the alert list?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #366
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Oh, if only someone had called that number when the port-a-potty was occupied!

OK, WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED? I only just found this thread and spent the whole afternoon catching up. Who do I have to meld with to get on the alert list?
I only learned about it last week or so.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #367
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I only learned about it last week or so.
Yeah, me too. It was dormant for a long while (I think I had read it way back then) but WHOOOO would have guessed a thread with this topic would turn into a far more interesting thread, that I needed to follow???
Old 11-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #368
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would like to play, but can't think of a single line to add. "... The blue one, next to the fish" sort of gave me writer's block, or at least some form of blockage. (Note to self: Eat more fiber when reading this thread.)

Oh! I have a BM (Brain Movement) .....

Meanwhile, back at the RAF base, Biggles was picking through the office fridge, peeking into brown paper bags, trying to defenestrate whose lunch to appropriate. Snortington's bag contained yogurt and a banana, not a very manly lunch at all. Biggles made a note to ask and tell. Saltenham's bag contained a rugged sandwich of bear meat on whole wheat, a thermos of dirty creek water, and a big slice of Mom's apple pie. Biggles made a note to recommend Saltenham for a commendation.

"That's the sort of rough and ready man we need in this man's air force," he harumphed to himself.

Wandering back to his office in order to eat Saltenham's lunch in privacy whilst he surfed the net to find out what happened on Desperate Housewives last evening, he happened to glance over a cubicle wall at Mrs. Myatake's work station.

"Ingrid, he said, "My dear, why are you crying?"

"Ah, mein Capitan," she said germanically, "My husband is missing. I fear he is in trouble."

"Whatever do you mean? What sort of trouble?"

"Some of his former colleagues from the Japanese mafia located him and he went to speak with them. I haven't heard from him in three days now," she sobbed weepily.

"Hmmm. How did we pass someone with her husband's background through our pre-employment security check?", he wondered administratively, while secretly craving the purloined lunch he still held in his hand and trying to figure a way to get out of this conversation without committing himself to any sort of decision.

"Er, uh, Ingrid dear, dry your eyes. You take a long lunch, and when you get back, type all of this up and email it to me," he improvised impromptuishly.

"Oh thank you, mein Capitan!," she germanically and manically jumped for joy and shouted as she grabbed Biggles around the shoulders and hugged him repeatedly, then hurried out the door to eat her squid puff and pear tart lunch in the employee breakroom, which had much better digital music than the executive breakroom, which only had one lousy house band that played only covers of Alanis Morrissette songs.

"Finally I can eat my, er uh, Saltenham's lunch," Biggles biggled to himself.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #369
pshrynk

Harv brought the Goose in slowly, feathering back the props. It landed gracefully. Well, as gracefully as three tons of what is bascially an aluminum boat welded to an airplane can be. He taxied up to the submarine, which ironically was named Bluefish in Japanese. Thankfully, the ocean was calm, so there was little difficulty in mooring the plane to the deck.

Myatake stuck his head through the door. "You two stay here. We will take on the cargo andthen leave."

They listened as various thumps gave evidence to a weighty load being placed in the cargo hold.

"So, do you think the White Sox have a chance at the Series, this year?" asked Vivaldi.

Vera had had an unpleasant ride. First there was the unconscius form of Fujimora, who slowly came back to life. His moaning and complaining had been unbearable. Then, the squid was rather awful. It had crept out of Myatake's pocket and had made it half way up the bulkhead to the window before being retrieved and placed in a bucket of water. Now, it just glared at her over the rim with a look that said, "I really object to being treated like an object, you know. Even squid have feelings. If you had any compassion at all, you would have helped me jump out the window when I was making my bid for freedom. I could be halfway home, by now.*"

Vera felt vaguely guilty.

But worst of all had been the rustling coming from the emergency kit. The lid had snapped open at one point and she swore that a pair of comfy looking wool socks had scurried out. She'd have screamed, but the one sock without the safety pin had implored her with a look not to. She was beginning to doubt the sanity of a person who could read the expression of a wool sock.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:00 PM   #370
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

[ She was beginning to doubt the sanity of a person who could read the expression of a wool sock. ]

Or could write a story about one. But don't mind me --- carry on, carry on!
Old 11-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #371
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Oh, for the love of Cthulhu, will someone PLEASE help that poor squid escape becoming ika sashimi???
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #372
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Oh, for the love of Cthulhu, will someone PLEASE help that poor squid escape becoming ika sashimi???
don't worry neko, something tells me that he's only still around because in the end he's the one who will save the day (along with hugo and lefty, my intrepid smart socks, obviously).

after that he will of course live happily ever after, in the briny depths.

right, pshrynk ? ahem. RIGHT ?
Old 11-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #373
DixieGal
Hi There!

Mrs. Myatake makes her own squid puffs and sauerkraut. Don't you think the Mister is bringing it home to her as a reconciliation gift? Think about it.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #374
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
And don't let Hogo and Lefty anywhere near Thpud the nip-addicted cat: she'll only chew them up. However, I could see Thpud and VR getting together, in one of those opposites-attract sort of relationship. She only needs the love of a good dog in order to give up her addictive behaviour, and come to terms with living in Wisconsin, in the house of a very strange man indeed.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #375
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
And don't let Hogo and Lefty anywhere near Thpud the nip-addicted cat: she'll only chew them up. However, I could see Thpud and VR getting together, in one of those opposites-attract sort of relationship. She only needs the love of a good dog in order to give up her addictive behaviour, and come to terms with living in Wisconsin, in the house of a very strange man indeed.
*snif* i love a happy ending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Mrs. Myatake makes her own squid puffs and sauerkraut. Don't you think the Mister is bringing it home to her as a reconciliation gift? Think about it.
no. that is not what happens. try to keep up, it's the post directly above yours, sheesh !

Tags
birth of the cool, farking and lower farking, hugo and lefty, liseuse, ongoing saga, saga, screaming mad adrian, the birth of the cool, the goose, unutterable silliness, vera