Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-30-2013, 02:13 AM   #856
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
My Aura finally shut down due to low battery, and I had to give it a full charge for the first time since I got it. It did last a long time on the initial charge, even accounting for the many times that I plugged it into the computer. On the other hand, it takes twice as long as the Touch to charge the battery, around 4 hours. I'm guessing that it still limits the charging current to 500ma max. I also notice that unlike the Touch it doesn't display the charge status on the screen when it's sleeping.
I've noticed that when I have my Kobo charging before I put it to sleep, it shows a Battery: xx% below Sleeping. I'll leave finding out if the percentage is incremented up to you. Having spent most of the day watching deduplication data rebuild, I've decided to do something more exciting with what's left of today -- perhaps, watching my toenails grow.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #857
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Interesting... I just went and looked at the FCC filings on the Aura. Some of the entries were marked as confidential until May 30th, including what looks to be an early draft of the User Guide, dated January, 2013. Included in that is

Quote:
Turning Pages
You can turn pages while you read by tapping or swiping the touch screen, or by tapping or swiping the back of your eReader.

To turn pages in a book:
  • Tap or swipe the sides of the page
If you want to jump forward by more than a page or two, you can:
  • Use the navigation bar to change pages or chapters.
  • Use the Table of Contents to browse a list of chapters and change chapters.

Using the back of your eReader to turn pages
You can turn pages by tapping or swiping the back of your eReader. For example if you like reading a book with one hand, you can tap or swipe the back of your eReader to changes pages.

To change pages using the back of your eReader
  • Tap or swipe the back of your eReader.
Has anyone tried this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AuraHDPageTurn.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	106501  
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #858
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... That might be a problem for me;
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214575
You couldn't have found this out a couple of days ago?

Oh Wait, I still have another one. I'll have to charge it up first though.

If this works, someone is going to have to tell me how the IR beams
get to the back of the case.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-01-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #859
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That document was only made public on the 30th (or 31st).....
Old 06-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #860
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I think that it is possible that at one time, they were going to launch the Aura with BookExpo America (end of last week). Instead they launched at the London Expo in April. As for the back of the device, well, maybe that will be part of the next device.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #861
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

Quote:
Using the back of your eReader to turn pages
You can turn pages by tapping or swiping the back of your eReader. For example if you like reading a book with one hand, you can tap or swipe the back of your eReader to changes pages.

To change pages using the back of your eReader
Tap or swipe the back of your eReader.
Has anyone tried this?
Tapping/swiping on the back doesn't do anything on my Aura.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #862
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
On the Kindle, it creates greasy smudges, so doing "nothing" is still better
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #863
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
So, what might they have been thinking of? Xray beams... nah, the power requirements
would be too high.

A hyper-sensitive capacitance touchscreen tech.?

Slightly conductive plastic case?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #864
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Or a feature that did not survive the production release!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #865
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
So, what might they have been thinking of? Xray beams... nah, the power requirements
would be too high.

A hyper-sensitive capacitance touchscreen tech.?

Slightly conductive plastic case?

Luck;
Ken
IR-beams don't work as they have to be in an enclosed area. Maybe they were thinking of a conductive metal back, but that would make the Aura much more expensive.

Last edited by Katsunami; 06-01-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #866
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Interesting... I just went and looked at the FCC filings on the Aura. Some of the entries were marked as confidential until May 30th, including what looks to be an early draft of the User Guide, dated January, 2013. Included in that is

Has anyone tried this?
Now that the embargo on the FCC docs (link) has been lifted we can also get a look at the innards. There does not appear to be any sensors stuck to the backside.

Maybe that part of the design wasn't ready, so it was left out of the production model?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #867
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
It might have been a capacitive layer inside the rear cover -perhaps etched or sprayed on with conductive paint as gross resolution would be more than adequate, or a resistive layer on the outside which would seem a bit less durable? Or perhaps the same guy who writes technical copy for Kobo also works for Ouija?

Honestly, it's an interesting idea and kind of cool, but I bet if they got to the testing phase they decided that accidental page turns were far too likely, or that the cost was simply prohibitive. Or maybe it just didn't work well or appeal to a focus group.

Hey, I had a crazy idea(yeah me, imagine that...), what if they made the back or sections of the back out of IR transmissive plastic? The groove down the middle would be ideal as an IR channel and allow for the image where they seem to show fingertip placement dead center of the back in the horizontal. Perhaps this idea accounted for the unusual design of the back? It would seem a lot more likely for a device designed to use IR rather than capacitance and might even be supported by the existing IR chip solution. A strip of sensors and LEDs on either side of the groove would do it.

Last edited by TechniSol; 06-02-2013 at 12:58 AM. Reason: the gears keep turning...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #868
glezmen
glezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi all,
I got my Aura HD two weeks ago, and I really like it, in spite of the obvious issues (horrible handling of orphan/widow lines, no directory structure, etc).
But now I have a weird problem: when the reader is sleeping, I can't see the book cover, only a very simple border with the title of the book. The corresponding option in the Settings is checked, and the book cover is displayed on the home screen, so the reader definitely knows about the cover.
Did I make something wrong?

And is there any solution for the orphan/widow lines problem? It's VERY annoying when the lower half of the screen is empty, like it was end of the chapter - but it's not, it's just that the next page has a very long (more than one page) paragraph
glezmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #869
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by glezmen View Post
Hi all,
I got my Aura HD two weeks ago, and I really like it, in spite of the obvious issues (horrible handling of orphan/widow lines, no directory structure, etc).
But now I have a weird problem: when the reader is sleeping, I can't see the book cover, only a very simple border with the title of the book. The corresponding option in the Settings is checked, and the book cover is displayed on the home screen, so the reader definitely knows about the cover.
Did I make something wrong?

And is there any solution for the orphan/widow lines problem? It's VERY annoying when the lower half of the screen is empty, like it was end of the chapter - but it's not, it's just that the next page has a very long (more than one page) paragraph
I'm having the same problem, but only with side loaded books I've put in there the past 2 1/2 weeks. Older books I have there the cover no problem. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the Kobo or Calibre. Anyone know how to tell the difference?

It's almost like the problem I was having before and when I'm in my library it's very slow to turn the page and the covers aren't there and take a while to load. It can take 5-10 seconds to turn a page, but like with the covers only with the new books I've side-loaded, older books are perfect with no delay in turning a page.

Last edited by Bittybye; 06-02-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #870
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
From that FCC filing it looks very likely that the planned feature of page turns by tapping or swiping the back surface was why Kobo got rid of the soft quilted back and went to smooth plastic on the Aura. Now it starts to make more sense. But we ended up with the design compromise without the feature!

This reminds of the HP TouchPad. Everyone criticized HP for using an all-plastic case when Apple and Samsung were using a metal back on their tablets, and indeed it did prove to be prone to cracks around the speaker openings, but the reason was to allow inductive charging. The inductive charging was a great feature, and HP never promoted it. It was even able to read a unique ID code from each Touchstone inductive charging stand so that you could program it to show different content depending where it was charging (e.g., photos or weather for home, agenda in the office etc.).
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote