Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2012, 02:49 AM   #211
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Most people are probably only going to have a few GB of stuff storage in the Cloud - free Cloud services typically offer you 2-5GB. That's really not much compared with even 16GB of internal storage, is it?
If I had wifi where I vacationed, I could stream movies from Netflix and music from Pandora. But I don't, so I need a card slot.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #212
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If I had wifi where I vacationed, I could stream movies from Netflix and music from Pandora. But I don't, so I need a card slot.
Ah, OK, I hadn't considered subscription services. That's a good point.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:43 AM   #213
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Ah, OK, I hadn't considered subscription services. That's a good point.
Harry, it is really very simple. There are many possible uses and always a number of possible workarounds. But why don't we just insist on getting something that should be included in the first place? Even for those who now think they won't need it --- if you don't buy now and let them know that you want a better device for the same money (i.e. with an expansion slot), what do you have to lose?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:46 AM   #214
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Harry, it is really very simple. There are many possible uses and always a number of possible workarounds. But why don't we just insist on getting something that should be included in the first place? Even for those who now think they won't need it --- if you don't buy now and let them know that you want a better device for the same money (i.e. with an expansion slot), what do you have to lose?
Absolutely. That's why I bought my Galaxy Tab 2 7". I don't think the faster CPU of the Nexus would be of the slightest practical benefit to me, but the lack of a card slot would be an issue.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #215
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Absolutely. That's why I bought my Galaxy Tab 2 7". I don't think the faster CPU of the Nexus would be of the slightest practical benefit to me, but the lack of a card slot would be an issue.
And, if we all stick to our guns, shortly we will be seeing a 7" tablet that is just as good as the Nexus in every way, priced at $199 or lower. But with an expansion slot.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #216
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
And, if we all stick to our guns, shortly we will be seeing a 7" tablet that is just as good as the Nexus in every way, priced at $199 or lower. But with an expansion slot.
Asus Memo 370T was supposed to have it all (hdmi, card, Tegra, high resolution etc) and at that price. I seriously hope Asus will still bring it to the market, hearsay is August but I really wonder, if they sold it to Google and had it stripped would they still introduce it? I would buy it in an instant. Nexus, no.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #217
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Asus Memo 370T was supposed to have it all (hdmi, card, Tegra, high resolution etc) and at that price. I seriously hope Asus will still bring it to the market, hearsay is August but I really wonder, if they sold it to Google and had it stripped would they still introduce it? I would buy it in an instant. Nexus, no.

The thing is, will Google allow Asus to sell a version with SD and HDMI?
Old 07-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #218
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The thing is, will Google allow Asus to sell a version with SD and HDMI?
God knows what deal they signed. I found a comparison article Galaxy vs Asus, slightly old (January I believe) but gives a good taste of what Asus might have been if Google didn't start meddling with it...

http://androidadvices.com/asus-eee-p...-7-comparison/
Old 07-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #219
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
God knows what deal they signed. I found a comparison article Galaxy vs Asus, slightly old (January I believe) but gives a good taste of what Asus might have been if Google didn't start meddling with it...

http://androidadvices.com/asus-eee-p...-7-comparison/
Most frustrating. In order to get a card slot in this price range ($199~$249), you have to step way down in performance - Galaxy Tab 2 or Nook Tablet. The Galaxy, Nook, and Fire all run the same dual-core chipsets: TI OMAP 4430 / PowerVR SGX 540 at 1GHz with 1GB RAM (512MB for the Fire and 8GB Nook).

It's not worth taking that much of a hit just for a card slot. Will have to wait a bit to see how the other makers respond to the Nexus.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #220
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
It's not worth taking that much of a hit just for a card slot.
What do you use an Android tablet for that would benefit from a quad-core CPU, as a matter of interest?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #221
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
What do you use an Android tablet for that would benefit from a quad-core CPU, as a matter of interest?
Don't know yet, since it's not out and I don't have one. One thing for sure, it'll be more future-proof than the dual-cores currently out. I'm sure developers will have a field day with this improved technology.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #222
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Quote:
Most frustrating.
My sentiments exactly. I am these days suffering from serious case of gadgetitis and resorted to considering Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2 (dual core 1,5 Ghz, IPS screen, ICS, 1GB RAM, 16 GB ROM expandable to 32GB with card etc) but it is a Chinese (aren't they all anyway?) although for some 150 € or less with delivery from UK.
Husband says it is a very bad moment to buy anything and says I should wait but but but it is so difficult!

Quad core GPU would be smooth for heavy gamers I believe. Apart from crosswords, occassional mahjong and block puzzle I don't do games.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #223
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Husband says it is a very bad moment to buy anything and says I should wait but but but it is so difficult!
He's right:

WAIT
Old 07-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #224
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

*in Luke's voice when he heard who his father is*

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #225
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Quad core GPU would be smooth for heavy gamers I believe. Apart from crosswords, occassional mahjong and block puzzle I don't do games.
With all the cores in use, I imagine it'll drain the battery very rapidly! My understanding is that the CPU powers down its cores when not in use, to save power.