Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 03:02 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
windows 7 jump lists

sigil is the only program icon on my task bar that does not have jump lists. ( of the books recently opened via calibre's open in editor option. )

it adds a file to recent file jump list only if I specifically locate & double click that epub file.

is there a reason why is works this way , & is there a possible fix ?

my last 5 files do appear on the "file" menu, so recent books are being stored, but they are not accesible directly from task bar.

I am using 64 bit Windows 7.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
is there a reason why is works this way , & is there a possible fix ?
It can be fixed but I'm not a Windows developer or user and I would put this is a low priority enhancement. I suggest you open an enhancement request for this feature. Some one might be interested in implementing it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

jump lists are windows specific as you noted & probably outside the program's control. I think that when program A calls program B ( e.g. calibre plug -in calls sigil) the jump lists do not update.

So how about a simple command line option or preference setting to have sigil open to its last saved file if that still exists, , rather than to a new document ? It already "knows about" that file - it is number 1 on drop down "file" menu.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No. An option like this is only useful in a small number of situations. It's also confusing. Either open the file and have it open with Sigil or open Sigil and select the file from the recent list.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
What you need to do is register Sigil as a program that can open .epub files. The easiest way to do this is to right-click an epub, select 'Open with...' and 'Choose default program..' and then browse to the Sigil .exe in the dialog that appears (uncheck 'Always use the selected program..' if you don't want to change what happens when you double-click an ePub). I have jump lists working with Sigil without any problem.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 01:42 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
What you need to do is register Sigil as a program that can open .epub files. The easiest way to do this is to right-click an epub, select 'Open with...' and 'Choose default program..' and then browse to the Sigil .exe in the dialog that appears (uncheck 'Always use the selected program..' if you don't want to change what happens when you double-click an ePub). I have jump lists working with Sigil without any problem.
i have all that already - the issue is, as explained earlier, when I open a book in sigil via the calibre "open with editor" plug in. that route does not update the jump list. If I browse the calibre library, find the book & double click to to open with sigil then yes it goes on the jump list but that's not a sensible way to work.

I use sigil to correct typos in books I'm reading - calibre has my "in progress" lsit so I open calibre , select the book I want to fix & then open with editor. if jump list were being updated then I could return to that book directly from windows task bar by right clicking sigil icon. maybe it's a clibre plug-in issue but I think ( as said before) that jump list don't update when a program is called form another program.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
cybemole
I use Calibre Open With and Sigil.
The Last used document is always updated IF I save a Sigil session. (the list does not update if I manage to abend Sigil (has not happened in a long time))l
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

my specific:
1. open calibre, select a book
2. in calibre toolbar, I click open epub in editor ( loads book into sigil - via a calibre plug-in, I think))
3. edit, save ( in sigil)
4. inspect sigil jumplist - book is NOT present in sigil jump list

do you get a different result when following the same 4 steps ?

NB open epub in editor, and "open with" are different calibre plug-ins. but I get same outcome from both. The last used document IS updated IN SIGIL i.e. it is entry 1 on file drop down, but it does not show on windows jump list.

compare that with word, excel, vlcplayer etc. all other programs on my task bar have jump lists which update every time the program is used.

PS as a cross check,if I locate an epub book anywhere on my hard drive via windows explorer ( NOT via calibre). then open, edit, save. that book IS added to sigil jump list.
Sigil is my default app for file type epub.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
AH
I was "list" confused (and I don't use the feature when in W7 on my Laptop). Most of my work is done on the Desktop PC's in XP or Ubuntu.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@cybmole - I am amazed anyone is still using "Open epub in editor" plugin given that Open With complete supercedes it. However neither will be the source of the "problem".

There is an illuminating article here:
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...ts-part-2.aspx

From reading that it should just be as simple as registering a file handler on Windows. I am not at home at the moment to try it but it should be a simple addition to the Sigil windows installer.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@cybmole - I am amazed anyone is still using "Open epub in editor" plugin given that Open With complete supercedes it. However neither will be the source of the "problem".

There is an illuminating article here:
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...ts-part-2.aspx

From reading that it should just be as simple as registering a file handler on Windows. I am not at home at the moment to try it but it should be a simple addition to the Sigil windows installer.
1, open with editor is faster -has it's own bottom om main tool bar & it's one click -whereas open with requires me select the fiddly drop down menu from the corner of the toolbar button& then select epub ( or set up a keyboard shortcut, which I've done but then I forget which key! )

if the jump list think requires a tweak to sigils' windows installer than I@ll have to wait for some kind person to attempt that.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
user_none

Adding a files handler won't be hard. The installer already optionally sets one to make Sigil the default app. Please open a bug with a reference to this thread so I don't forget.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
cybmole
Wizard

my reservation is that adding a file handler will not fix the issue, as I don't think it's sigil's fault, but windows. (given that sigil is set to be my default app already ) I tried & failed to google other examples of jump lists not updating when program A calls program B.

not sure how to open a bug but should be able to find out... done... issue 1031

Last edited by cybmole; 09-16-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #14
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It's not window's 'fault' - what's happening is that you're neither opening nor saving the file through any of the mechanisms that are defined for updating the list of recent documents (specifically, through the Common File Dialog).

It would be possible to code in a specific call, but I must admit that even though I'm a keen Windows fan, I'm reluctant to add such a system-specific piece of code to an application that covers a wide range of platforms, especially since it's only needed in a specific circumstance. I think this would be better handled in the plugin (which would have the advantage of adding jump list entries for other editors as well).
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #15
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@charleski - I can't get files to show up in the jump lists for Sigil at all (Win 7 64-bit). Not even when I use the File Open in Sigil. This is without a registered file handler - are you still planning to add that to the installer?

If I have to add code to the plugin then I have no problem with that (other than figuring out how to do it in Python), but I don't believe that is the "only" thing that needs to happen to fix this problem for all users in all scenarios of opening files in Sigil (not just with the plugin).
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote