Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
vmill
vmill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Extended Warranty

I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on Extended Warranty for the Kindle.
I know Amazon has a 2 year extended warranty at $49.99, which doesn't really appeal to me.
I've recently heard of SquareTrade extended warranty service. They have a very reasonable 2 year extended warranty rate.
Is anyone familiar with this extended warranty service and if so, their experiences with them.

Thank you,
vmill
vmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, vmill.

Thought about Amazon's extended warranty when i bought my K3......but decided against it.

My K1 has lasted 2 1/2 yrs with no problems. Have heard good things about the square trade deal.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Also have given it some thought but currently don't have the extended warranty. SquareTrade forces you to use Paypal, and I refuse to use Paypal (long story, involved refusing to return money for a cancelled order) so as far as I'm concerned, Squaretrade doesn't exist -- unless anyone here can confirm that you can get claims paid via check.

Kindles are now inexpensive enough that it may not be worth the hassle to warranty them, though...
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
thadiyan
Enthusiast
thadiyan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Touch
Also keep in mind, there are a few credit cards which effectively extend your warranty. My American Express card has such a policy and it works great.
thadiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Warranties not worth it.

Most warrenties are never worth the purchase price since it usually involves a lot of pursuasion to get the guarantor to honor it.

That is especially true for eReaders like the Kindle 3 since they will probably be OBSOLETE in less than a year.

I purchased my Sony PRS 900 for $ 400 in December, 2009. I purchased my Amazon Kindle WiFi LG 3 in August, 2010.

Now my Sony PRS 900 is OBSOLETE. I even offered it as a gift to relatives and NO ONE wants it.

Thus, by the end of 2011, the Amazon Kindle WiFi LG 3 will be obsolete in all probablility as the Kindle 4 is introduced.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Now my Sony PRS 900 is OBSOLETE. I even offered it as a gift to relatives and NO ONE wants it.

Thus, by the end of 2011, the Amazon Kindle WiFi LG 3 will be obsolete in all probablility as the Kindle 4 is introduced.
The fact that new models are introduced certainly doesn't make older ones "obsolete". I've sold numerous eBook readers on eBay. None has ever sold for less than half what I paid for it; most have sold for around 70% of their purchase price.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
thadiyan
Enthusiast
thadiyan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Most warrenties are never worth the purchase price since it usually involves a lot of pursuasion to get the guarantor to honor it.
Definitely not so with American Express, I submitted a claim online, and in a week the purchase price was credited back into my account. No jumping through hoops, returning the product back etc. It was a few clicks and that is it.
thadiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
namebrandon
Connoisseur
namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadiyan View Post
Definitely not so with American Express, I submitted a claim online, and in a week the purchase price was credited back into my account. No jumping through hoops, returning the product back etc. It was a few clicks and that is it.
Seconded. Any major purchase goes to Amex automatically. If they don't accept Amex, I go somewhere that does.
namebrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmill View Post
I know Amazon has a 2 year extended warranty at $49.99, which doesn't really appeal to me.
Definitely not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmill View Post
I've recently heard of SquareTrade extended warranty service. They have a very reasonable 2 year extended warranty rate.
Is anyone familiar with this extended warranty service and if so, their experiences with them.
I don't buy extended warranties, particularly for electronics. Consumer Reports and many money advisers recommend not buying extended warranties. Most electronics you buy them, you put them where they're going to be used, and that's that. Most of them will never leave the house and will rarely get moved. If it's going to fail because of a bad part it will usually fail sooner than later.

However, a Kindle is not like a usual electronic device. It's relatively fragile with a glass screen and it's a portable device. For my use, it's going to be out and about with me; it will travel with me on various kinds of transportation, to various cities, in various hotel rooms. I decided that for this product and the way I was going to use it was an exception.

The extended warranty that SquareTrade offers also includes a one-time accidental damage coverage that will replace your Kindle if it accidentally gets dropped, something spills on it, the dog eats it, etc. Using various coupons that are usually available you can get up to 35% off. For all of these reasons I purchased a 2-year SquareTrade warranty for both my Kindle 3 and my wife's Kindle 3 for less than $25 each. I also figured that the Kindle 4 will be released within the next 24 months and I will probably upgrade so no need for a 3-year warranty. I also purchased my Kindle with my Amex card but Amex doesn't cover you for accidental damage.

If you're only going to read at home and you're careful, you probably don't need one. But if you're taking it outside your house frequently, that greatly increases the chance of damaging it and you might wasn't to consider it.

Last edited by TomF; 09-17-2010 at 04:28 PM.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
vmill
vmill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for everyone's input.

I decided to go ahead with SquareTrade's 2 year warranty for my Kindle 3 wi/3g. I couldn't pass up the 2 year warranty with accidental damage coverage for $30. (That's with a 30% off coupon)
I do have 1 year extended coverage with my credit card but just as TomF mentioned, it does not cover accidental damage.
I thought for $30, this coverage will be well worth it.
vmill is offline   Reply With Quote