Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #46
Cheryllion
Cheryllion began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
[If you are looking to read Mark Twain books or any books that are Public Domain, our MR Library feedbooks, manybooks, and www.gutenberg.org has them all for free and already formatted for your Reader. Just download lrf or epub formats. Here is a link to the Mark Twain available here on MR.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha! I don't know who typesets any of the books on those sites, but I've seen a lot of them and it's obviously someone who doesn't care. (Just kidding, I know they are just getting through it because there are so many to do!)

I am a graphic designer / desktop publisher and love to do it my way (and I'm full of myself enough to believe that my way is always best - haha!) Seriously, though, the two books I wanted (Eve's and Adam's diaries) were poorly typeset and didn't flow well (there were lots of illustrations I wanted to keep), so I thought it would be fun to learn to redo them. They came out so great I'll probably submit them the the free websites. But I'd like to learn the skill for other things anyway. THe only "problem" - not for me, but maybe for other readers, is that the Reader will show different text sizes: Small shows the book as I typeset it. Medium reflows the text (no problem), but the text is the same size as my original. And large looks correct. I wonder why!
Cheryllion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #47
bamboozled
bamboozled began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Compaq PPC
Bullzip (or any pdf creator)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinenut View Post
Thank you for sharing the info about Bullzip.
When you use Bullzip, what paper size do you select?
The key to making it all work is the following (for my PRS-300):

1. In WP (Word, OOo, etc), Page setup is .25 margins on all four sides and setting paper size to 3.57 w x 4.82 h. (I prefer to use a 10pt font - you can use bigger if you want)

2. Printing to Bullzip, use the postscript custom page size (properties > paper quality > advanced button) and enter your 3.57 x 4.82 (or which ever size your using for your screen).

3. This last step is very important for it to look alright on your reader - on the original print page (after you have set your PS custom page size), under the zoom, make sure your set the scale to "postscript custom page" (default is "no scaling").

Also remember to resize any images in your doc down to your screen size.

If you need more help I can create a quick guide with screenshots for you and email it to you.

bam
Attached Images
File Type: bmp PostScript.bmp (960.1 KB, 295 views)
bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 01:11 AM   #48
Cheryllion
Cheryllion began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Thank you Bamboozled, I'll give it a try!
Cheryllion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:07 AM   #49
prom king
Sloshed
prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sony PRS-500
I'm having problems creating contents chapters in PDF for Sony reader. I open the doc in Adobe and click on a word to make it a link that will jump me on so and so page but when I convert it with Calibre and open it in Reader Library as .lrf when I click on those links it always jumps me on page 2 for some reason and never on pages I set before. Altough it works fine as .pdf in Adobe.
prom king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Converting from PDF to anything else is never going to work error free. So don't bother.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 02:26 AM   #51
prom king
Sloshed
prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sony PRS-500
Well it usually works quite well when I convert other .pdf files that have made chapter-links by other people when I do it with Calibre.
prom king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #52
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by prom king View Post
I'm having problems creating contents chapters in PDF for Sony reader. I open the doc in Adobe and click on a word to make it a link that will jump me on so and so page but when I convert it with Calibre and open it in Reader Library as .lrf when I click on those links it always jumps me on page 2 for some reason and never on pages I set before. Altough it works fine as .pdf in Adobe.
I don't think Calibre does anything with the PDF's own Table of Contents during conversion. However, if your PDF's chapter headings are one of the common 'standards', e.g. 1, 2, ... etc or Chapter 1, Chapter 2, ... etc (I don't know what the full list of common standards is) you might have some success by using Calibre's Convert - Heuristic Processing page. Make sure that the Enable Heuristic Processing box and the Detect and markup unformatted chapter hdgs/subhdgs box are both checked. Then see what comes out the other end - you might be lucky

This is the relevant page of the Calibre User Manual
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote