Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Little Things That Bug Me about the Desktop iTunes App Store

1) How Desktop iTunes App Store handles App Updates (A)
Didn't Desktop iTunes App Store used to dynamically update the number of updated Apps, like iPhone/iPad App Store? I vaguely remember seeing a count of updates next to the Apps icon at one point. Now I always have to "Check for updates".

2) How Desktop iTunes App Store handles App Updates (B)
For some reason, if I have multiple apps to be updated, clicking on "Update All" gives me a "your list is outdated" error...then it refreshes, and then I can update all. This has only been since the latest iTunes 9.2(61) update.

3) How Desktop iTunes App Store handles App Updates (C)
When the "Available App Update" icons are shown...why not give us a summary of "what has changed" right there for each app? Why do we have to click on the icon, go to the App page, read the changes, then have to go all the way back out to "check for updates"?

4) How Desktop iTunes Shows current Apps
Why not have the app descriptions for the Apps we have downloaded? Or at least a link to the app on the iTunes Store?

Ok, that's all I can think of.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
While we're waiting for your suggested improvements to iTunes (g) ... "App Store Expense Monitor" from WetFish Software keep track of how much you've paid for apps. A cool little utility ....
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
While we're waiting for your suggested improvements to iTunes (g) ... "App Store Expense Monitor" from WetFish Software keep track of how much you've paid for apps. A cool little utility ....
I'm not sure I want to know

then again, it would be handy for situations like this:
http://www.manton.org/2010/07/itunes_password.html
Old 07-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm pretty sure iTunes does automatically check for app updates; I had one yesterday, and I definitely hadn't told it to check.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm pretty sure iTunes does automatically check for app updates; I had one yesterday, and I definitely hadn't told it to check.
Mine used to, Harry-a little badge next to Apps showing the number of apps with updates available. Not sure what changed-I don't see any preference settings in iTunes to control it.
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
1) How Desktop iTunes App Store handles App Updates (A)
Didn't Desktop iTunes App Store used to dynamically update the number of updated Apps, like iPhone/iPad App Store? I vaguely remember seeing a count of updates next to the Apps icon at one point. Now I always have to "Check for updates".
Mine still does... although not always right away (e.g., "check for updates" sometimes comes up with more updates than the badge shows).

Quote:
2) How Desktop iTunes App Store handles App Updates (B)
For some reason, if I have multiple apps to be updated, clicking on "Update All" gives me a "your list is outdated" error...then it refreshes, and then I can update all. This has only been since the latest iTunes 9.2(61) update.
Yes! I get the same thing... I have not figured out why / when it happens - and have no idea how to reliably reproduce it. It is no show-stopper, but it is annoying, I agree.

Quote:
3) How Desktop iTunes App Store handles App Updates (C)
When the "Available App Update" icons are shown...why not give us a summary of "what has changed" right there for each app? Why do we have to click on the icon, go to the App page, read the changes, then have to go all the way back out to "check for updates"?
Great idea!

Quote:
4) How Desktop iTunes Shows current Apps
Why not have the app descriptions for the Apps we have downloaded? Or at least a link to the app on the iTunes Store?

Ok, that's all I can think of.
Another +1 to that. The problem is that Apple's app store is really quite poorly done in many many ways. It would be oh-so-nice if they could learn a thing or two from Amazon.

-- Rique
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Mine used to, Harry-a little badge next to Apps showing the number of apps with updates available. Not sure what changed-I don't see any preference settings in iTunes to control it.
For me, on Mac, it's still working perfectly. Sometimes I'm updating on iPad. When connecting to Mac, the exact update count already shows (most of the times it's more than just a single app, usually about 3 updates show). And that's although I'm using 2 different accounts (for historic reasons).
I have no idea though, how frequently iTunes is checking for updates. Or maybe updates are pushed via our accounts?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rique View Post

The problem is that Apple's app store is really quite poorly done in many many ways. It would be oh-so-nice if they could learn a thing or two from Amazon.
Definitely. I try to avoid iTunes as much as possible. If another company can deliver a tablet comparable to iPad (for my needs), I will happily buy one just to get away from iTunes.

Often, I don't actually care if there's an update on my apps. I wish there was a quick way to dismiss the numbered update alerts on your iPhone or iPad. I can't get rid of it without syncing if it's a big app.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 07-12-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Definitely. I try to avoid iTunes as much as possible. If another company can deliver a tablet comparable to iPad (for my needs), I would happily buy one just to get away from iTunes.
I'm far from being an Apple fanboy. In fact, I really hate my Mac Mini. But I really consider iTunes a stroke of genius (and key to Apple's recent success).
Having a single platform for all your needs? I remember the times (well, actually just 2 months ago), when checking on my UMPC for updates of the OS via Windows updates, for games on 3 different platforms - basically for every single 3rd party application on a different website. And that's just for applications. Movies, TV shows and music again would have been on different platforms.
There's a single annoyance in iTunes though, but this certainly will change over times: The quality of games is far from iPads potential. There are some acceptable apps like "Fieldrunners" or "Plants vs. Zombies". But if I compare to NDS, PSP or your average PC, on average the quality is abysmal. This certainly will change, as soon as the "big names" enter the arena. And that's not a problem of iTunes per se of course. I still prefer it as a single platform for games as well (I just need more quality games to chose from).
Old 07-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I'm far from being an Apple fanboy. In fact, I really hate my Mac Mini. But I really consider iTunes a stroke of genius (and key to Apple's recent success).
Having a single platform for all your needs? I remember the times (well, actually just 2 months ago), when checking on my UMPC for updates of the OS via Windows updates, for games on 3 different platforms - basically for every single 3rd party application on a different website. And that's just for applications. Movies, TV shows and music again would have been on different platforms.
There's a single annoyance in iTunes though, but this certainly will change over times: The quality of games is far from iPads potential. There are some acceptable apps like "Fieldrunners" or "Plants vs. Zombies". But if I compare to NDS, PSP or your average PC, on average the quality is abysmal. This certainly will change, as soon as the "big names" enter the arena. And that's not a problem of iTunes per se of course. I still prefer it as a single platform for games as well (I just need more quality games to chose from).
I think iTunes serves Apple more than it serves me. Individual mileage varies, of course.

One thing that really annoys me, for instance, is having your iTunes backups specific to individual computers, rather than being portable. I understand why Apple does it, but it keeps me from fluidly switching computers when away from home, for instance. I'm not saying iTunes wasn't a smart business move; I'm saying it makes my use difficult, and that's not how I vote with my money when other options are available.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I think iTunes serves Apple more than it serves me. Individual mileage varies, of course.

One thing that really annoys me, for instance, is having your iTunes backups specific to individual computers, rather than being portable. I understand why Apple does it, but it keeps me from fluidly switching computers when away from home, for instance. I'm not saying iTunes wasn't a smart business move; I'm saying it makes my use difficult, and that's not how I vote with my money when other options are available.
...I've switched off backups entirely. Way too time consuming.