Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
cguerette
cguerette will become famous soon enoughcguerette will become famous soon enoughcguerette will become famous soon enoughcguerette will become famous soon enoughcguerette will become famous soon enoughcguerette will become famous soon enough

Device: New Nook Glowlight
Sony Reader 700 where is light?

I just bought a Sony Reader PRS-700, but can't find the sidelight feature. After all the reviews about the 700 having a sidelight, do some of the 700's not have sidelights? My user guide doesn't mention a light... Please help. Thanks.
cguerette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
All PRS-700's have a sidelight, unless of course it is malfunctioning.

The switch is on the bottom of the reader on the left; similar but smaller than the on/off switch. Flick once for light level 1, and twice for light level 2.

There is an example shown in this video at the 1 minute mark.

Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
cguerette
cguerette will become famous soon enoughcguerette will become famous soon enoughcguerette will become famous soon enoughcguerette will become famous soon enoughcguerette will become famous soon enoughcguerette will become famous soon enough

Thank you!!

It works. I could figure everything out but that. And thanks for the video too.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Naturalee
Naturalee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Please tell me where you were able to purchase the PRS-700. I really want to have a light since I read at night a lot. Are you happy with the light?
Naturalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The Sony 700 seems to have been discontinued, but you can still find them on Ebay.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalee View Post
Please tell me where you were able to purchase the PRS-700. I really want to have a light since I read at night a lot. Are you happy with the light?
I am happy with my PRS-700.

The screen quality is compromised due to the extra layers, but I was willing to accept this for the advantage, to me, of the built-in light and touch screen.

The build-in light will also show any dust particles that may gather between the layers. (If you are buying used, if you can, you should ask the seller if there are any visible dust spots.)

There are still some new (or maybe just one) PRS-700's available on amazon.com and many used ones. The new one listed is extremely pricey.

Other solutions would be to buy a newer model and get a cover that has a built in LED light that swings out to light the page or get an older PRS-505 model with the light wedge cover. (The PRS-505's have a great screen, but they have also been discontinued and are becoming harder to find.)

And as Desertgrandma said, they are also available on eBay.

I hope this has been helpful.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
Naturalee
Naturalee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks so much.
Naturalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
cguerette

craigslist too

I found my 700 on ebay, but I did see one on craigslist briefly. You may get lucky. I checked craigslist where all my friends and family live too :-)