Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #16
TheBlackTiger
TheBlackTiger began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Axim x51v, Palm TX, Blackberry Curve 8330
Try the Night Angel trilogy. It's a breath of fresh air that was seriously needed and the cool thing is that Brent Weeks actually has a complete series! NO WAITING for promised books to not show up. You could also try the two Hedge Knight (Hedge Knight and Sworn Sword) books from George R. R. Martin. If you haven't started Martin's Fire and Ice series, these two shorts are a good look at his style without the insane cost (and the four year wait on the Dance With Dragons book which is STILL not done). I agree that Goodkind seems to be a ripoff of JOrdan. I actually stopped reading the Sword of Truth books because, for me, they got predictablem, boring, way too drawn out. You can also check out the Deverry series by Katherine Kurtz. YES! Terry Brooks Shannara series is ALWAYS fun as is the Horseclans series and the John Carter, Warlord of Mars series. Moorcock's Elric is great but can get dark, depressing, and predictable in some ways. But I do love his work and then there is the previously mentioned Drizzt Do'Urden series from R. A. Salvatore... simply amazing and again refreshing like Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy. Jack Whyte's Camulod series is great fun for historical fiction. And there is the Damiano trilogy (Damiano, Damiano's Lute, and Raphael). Maybe some Anne McCaffery's dragonriders of Pern series? And Dragonlance is always great fun. It got me back into reading scifi sword/sorcery series. Or perhaps Flewelling's (Luck in the Shadows) Nightrunner series.

Yeah, I also read too much of this stuff... for too many years.
Good luck!
TheBlackTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #17
TheBlackTiger
TheBlackTiger began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Axim x51v, Palm TX, Blackberry Curve 8330
Oh Yeah.... I forgot Steve Perry's Matador series!!!! Amazing fun about galactic revolution... heh heh heh...
TheBlackTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #18
arekieh
Connoisseur
arekieh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 (OTW), PRS-300B (For Sale)
lol wow,
I have a really long list to look at now . Thanks alot
arekieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arekieh View Post
Hey guys,
Any good series you guys know of similar to the wheel of time?(Im gonna read mistborn and elantris since Brandon Sanderson did Book 12 and it was good) Or something similar to inheritance?

Thanks
So you want something similar to the Wheel of Time series... Then you want something unwieldy, wordy, slow, and the author is dead. There is only one other series that fits... The Mission Earth series by L. Ron Hubbard.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #20
arekieh
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So you want something similar to the Wheel of Time series... Then you want something unwieldy, wordy, slow, and the author is dead. There is only one other series that fits... The Mission Earth series by L. Ron Hubbard.
Lol thats all true, except the story is really good lol. Now i just want to know the ending .
Advert
Old 12-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Lol thats all true, except the story is really good lol. Now i just want to know the ending .
Well, I'll give you the last line of the series...

THE END
Old 12-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #22
arekieh
Connoisseur

lol thanks, dont think i couldve figured that out
Old 12-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
lol thanks, dont think i couldve figured that out
Happy to help.

And if you do want to read the Mission Earth series, Amazon only seems to have up to book 5 for the Kindle.

Other shops have the rest of the series, but you'll need to be able to strip the DRM.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #24
arekieh
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Happy to help.

And if you do want to read the Mission Earth series, Amazon only seems to have up to book 5 for the Kindle.

Other shops have the rest of the series, but you'll need to be able to strip the DRM.
lol .
Dont have a kindle anyways but hopefully going to get one soon .
Thanks for the suggestion
Old 12-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #25
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackTiger View Post
Try the Night Angel trilogy. It's a breath of fresh air that was seriously needed and the cool thing is that Brent Weeks actually has a complete series! NO WAITING for promised books to not show up.
And I've seen the entire trilogy available as an e-book bundle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackTiger View Post
You can also check out the Deverry series by Katherine Kurtz. YES!
Just to be nitpickyish, I think these were by Katherine Kerr. But Katherine Kurtz did the Deryni series, which was also cool.

Thanks for mentioning all the others I missed. I wish someone would come out with an e-book edition of the Horseclans series. After Robert Adams' death, they seemed to go out of print way too quickly. There is a newish
(2005) print edition of at least the first book available through Mundania, a small press, so maybe there is hope. And at least the Mundania edition uses the Ken Kelly cover art.
http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Horsecl...0070264&sr=1-1
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:26 AM   #26
arekieh
Connoisseur

The amount of series/books you guys know is insane, lol, its gonna take me a really long time to get through this list