Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-20-2014, 02:20 AM   #1
Peter21
Enthusiast
Peter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: iPad 4
File size for kindle..delivery charge

Hi All
I have an epub of about 8MB, which I convert to .mobi by kindlegen. In the terminal message generated by kindlegen it says 'approximate KF8 deliverable file size 7708 KB'. Is this the size that the amazon delivery charge (10 p per MB where I am in the UK) will be based on?
It seems that it should be but I ask because the .mobi file that kindlegen produces in this process (which I side load to my kindle for proofing) is 16.6MB.
Thanks in advance
peter
Peter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
Peter: Yes, that is the file size that the delivery charge is based on. The 16.6MB file Kindlegen creates contains the KF8 and 7 versions plus the source files. Amazon will split this and deliver either the KF8 or 7 version, based on their reader.
Bob
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
May I ask what sort of book this is, where the filesize is quite large? Is this some sort of cookbook with a lot of images?

Depending on the type of images, there MAY also be a way to compress them further.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 AM   #4
Peter21
Enthusiast
Peter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPeter21 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: iPad 4
Thanks for the helpful replies.
It is a guidebook, with a lot of images, of maps and pictures. I am putting the images in as jpegs, of between 35 and 50k. The pictures were originally 120kb but I have found that further compression to 35-50 k doesn't significantly impair quality. The maps are more problematic than the photographs, because of all the text...street names etc. I tried turning them in to GIF's but this didn't help.
Peter
Peter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter21 View Post
Thanks for the helpful replies.
It is a guidebook, with a lot of images, of maps and pictures. I am putting the images in as jpegs, of between 35 and 50k. The pictures were originally 120kb but I have found that further compression to 35-50 k doesn't significantly impair quality. The maps are more problematic than the photographs, because of all the text...street names etc. I tried turning them in to GIF's but this didn't help.
Ahh... not much you can do about size when you need so many images in a book.

Mind sending me a few samples of maps so I can fiddle around with it? (Original source image of map + a sample of final images you actually stuck in the book).

Email: *Insert my MobileRead username* @gmail.com

If this delivery fee is much of a concern, you may also be able to strip out metadata and shave off a few KBs per image as well.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
delivery, kindlegen