Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The recent Engadget review of the new Kindle was garbage. They didn't seem to be aware of basic facts. All the reviews of the new Kindle seem fantasy now. I would not trust the reviews. Wait till it's out to find out what early adopters think.
Concerning their comment about the screen, IPS is not "new" technology, it has been used on other tablets. I have personal experience with, it,
I had an IPS screen on my Vox (which was not the best otherwise) and it did make an enormous difference in readability compared to my Galaxy Tab which is a much better tablet in all other respects. It is absolutely true that the screen makes it easier to read in bright light or outside in the sun.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Why? You get more memory for the same price. 16 gb for $199, 32 gb for $249 and 64 gb for $299. The Nexus offers only 16 gb for $249 and doesn't have a USB slot either....
With the G7 you get a quad core, more GPU, and the latest OS.

For most activities the dual core will work on par, with the quad but when it comes to HD video and games the quad will out perform

Quote:
Concerning their comment about the screen, IPS is not "new" technology, it has been used on other tablets. I have personal experience with, it,
I had an IPS screen on my Vox (which was not the best otherwise) and it did make an enormous difference in readability compared to my Galaxy Tab which is a much better tablet in all other respects. It is absolutely true that the screen makes it easier to read in bright light or outside in the sun.
The vox did not use the standard IPS technology they used a screen that was better suited for daylight. I forget the screen name.

However IPS is usually poor in daylight, remember the kindle commercial vs the iPad.

If the Arc's screen is visible in daylight it is not because it's IPS.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #18
ashan
Connoisseur
ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: could be Kobo Glo or KPW
Don't even think about Arc. get the nexus.
ashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #19
Love.Forever.
Monarch Butterfly ...
Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
I was seriously thinking about getting the Nexus 7... just saw it at Best Buy yesterday (with warranty) or Future shop (with warranty I think), but I'm not sure if I do want to buy it from there or get it off the Google site. Decisions, decisions....
Love.Forever. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #20
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
I'd avoid the Nexus 7 for a while, at least until the new models get released and we find out if there is actually any price reductions on the 16GB...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #21
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
Get the nexus7. You also get the google map software integration that works so well with GPS. I also love the google voice now software. You get everything you watched on sci fi TV when you were a kid on a 7" tablet!
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #22
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastanley View Post
Get the nexus7. You also get the google map software integration that works so well with GPS. I also love the google voice now software. You get everything you watched on sci fi TV when you were a kid on a 7" tablet!
The Nexus 7 will give me a death ray and hot ET chicks? Just like Captain Kirk?
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #23
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
I'd avoid the Nexus 7 for a while, at least until the new models get released and we find out if there is actually any price reductions on the 16GB...
And we have. Unless you are philosophically opposed to a Google-branded tablet ('cos, frankly, all Android tablets have the same amount of information-theft built into them - it's just easier to forget about it when not holding a Google tab...), there is really no reason to pick up a Kobo Arc instead, unless it's the only thing available in your area.

EDIT: Hmm. Or maybe not, at least if you can't order directly from Google Play, where it's $209 (premium for being in Canada, of course, despite the CAD hovering within $0.05 of parity with the USD for the last several years - both over and under, usually over!) or find it in a small shop somewhere... Best Buy, Future Shop, and Staples (the only big stores up here that seem to carry it) all have it at $239 for the 16GB (and $269 for the 32GB).

Last edited by JD Gumby; 11-01-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #24
bo_bos
bo_bos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
I am only interested in the Arc for specific reasons: the backlight, glare screen for reading on the beach, and the choice of reading platforms (not restricted like kindle) and free wifii while on that vacation to check stuff. I have no plans or desire to use it as if it was my computer. I like the price and that is why I am choosing it over an Ipad or other $500 tablets.

Technology changes too fast and they all have their faults so it is about what one feels best suit their needs but it does require some time to understand all the stuff out there.

I always finds this stuff is a hit and miss. 16GB is more than enough space to me. That is 13,000 books! How much can one person have stored? Even if this is a computer you run out of space eventually or the system slows down because of all the stuff on it.

My bigger dilemma in selecting the Arc is the cover! I want a hand-free one and can't seem to find anything that suits my needs or like the one I seen a friend has (it is vertical, not horizontal)
bo_bos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #25
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Wink

I'd recommend the Nexus 7; I'm really happy with mine and love the quad-core processor which speeds up everything you do.

After a bad experience with the slow-as-molasses Kobo Vox, and their abysmal customer support I'd be reluctant to Ever have another Kobo device (although their e-reader software is OK)

So just order the Nexus from Google's Playstore - it arrives quickly and sets up easily and synchs right away with Google-everything that you have.

(You seem to have already eliminated the RIM PlayBook, which is too bad - because if you're looking for a good deal, they've just been reduced to $150 here! Excellent devices originally designed to sell for about triple that price!)
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #26
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
After a bad experience with the slow-as-molasses Kobo Vox
Well, to be fair, at 512MB RAM (DDR2, I think) and an 800MHz single-core it was a year out of date when it was released...
Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #27
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntro View Post
Hi guys I'm looking to buy a tablet. I'm an illustrator so I plan on using the tablet as a portable portfolio with my digital works on it - also I'd be using it for reading PDF files. Based on the specs both the Kobo Arc and the Nexus 7 seem almost matched.

The biggest difference is the price. Kobo Arc is going to sell for $200 for 16g while the Nexus 7 is $250 for 16g. Is it worth waiting for the cheaper Arc?
A friend of mine did have a similar question: Kindle Fire HD or Nexus 7.
I guess, the answer is quite simple:
What's the main purpose for your gadget?
If you want to have a full blown tablet without any restrictions, Nexus 7 probably will be the easier and more convenient choice.
Normally, readers/tablets such as Kobo, Kindle or Nook have their limitations.
Kindle obviously isn't that much interested to open their ecosystem to Nook or Kobo apps fro example.
There are workarounds, but why bother?

I've bought the Kindle Fire HD myself.
I won't root it.
I bought it for the Kindle books and to some extent for the rest of the Amazon ecosystem. It's perfect for that.
But if I need the Google Play store and all the other Android apps: Why jump through loops instead of going the easy way?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #28
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
A friend of mine did have a similar question: Kindle Fire HD or Nexus 7.
I guess, the answer is quite simple:
What's the main purpose for your gadget?
If you want to have a full blown tablet without any restrictions, Nexus 7 probably will be the easier and more convenient choice.
Kindle obviously isn't that much interested to open their ecosystem to Nook or Kobo apps fro example.

I've bought the Kindle Fire HD myself.
I won't root it.
I bought it for the Kindle books and to some extent for the rest of the Amazon ecosystem. It's perfect for that.
But if I need the Google Play store and all the other Android apps: Why jump through loops instead of going the easy way?
FYI the Kobo Arc will have access to the Google Play Store etc. without "jumping through hoops". Just thought I'd set the record straight on that aspect...
http://www.kobo.com/koboarc/techspecs/
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #29
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
FYI the Kobo Arc will have access to the Google Play Store etc. without "jumping through hoops". Just thought I'd set the record straight on that aspect...
http://www.kobo.com/koboarc/techspecs/
While Kobo offers full Google App store access, it HAS implemented a shopping-wonderland for an interface. I'd recommend a hands-on to anybody about to drop $200, to see if they could really deal with that every day.

But another pro (IMHO) is that the Kobo Arc's speakers face the front, not rear. Google Nexus speakers face rear.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #30
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
The "workaround", at least for Kobo, is "install from the Amazon App Store". Nook's another matter (they don't seem to like having it anywhere). Nook's different, of course, since B&N don't seem to like it to be anywhere but on their own devices (can't even find it on Google Play). For other books, plenty of readers available in the Amazon App Store, no need for rooting or anything else. Plenty of other good apps as well, with the only major omission being Google's app suite (Maps, YouTube, etc. - obviously the big sticking point for most).