Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
Superscript widow's

I have some superscript's that are dangling by themselves rather than staying with the sentence they are to be connected to; Can a person "tie" them to the beginning of the sentence where they belong.

Ie. is there such a thing as a non-breaking space or superscript? I found out tonight how to resize them in sigil from Calibre so that they don't cause the lines to lack even spacing. They look good and not very conspicious. But I have some where they fall at the end of the sentence, rather than with the next sentence where it belong.

As always, thank you for your time.
This is an art.
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
There are non-breaking spaces, see: http://www.w3schools.com.

But non breaking means non breaking, which means you could end up with very short sentences if someone decides to increase the print size.

I generally don't use super or sub script because if it is small enough to not affect the line spacing you can't read it. [1] are used by some people instead, though they are not as pretty. But if you have to do lots of footnotes, then it is not going to be too pretty anyway. You might use italics if they are not used otherwise in the text.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You can always wrap the word and superscript in a <span> with "whitespace: nowrap", but I believe that's adding clutter to work around a problem of some specific renderer (which shouldn't be inserting a linebreak at a subscript or supescript).

However (from the CSS spec):
Note. CSS 2.1 does not fully define where line breaking opportunities occur. Floated and absolutely-positioned elements do not introduce a line breaking opportunity.

This means that the renderer is not going against the spec (just against common sense), so using the span might be justified. Anyway, I wouldn't do that, I'd complain to the vendor/developer instead.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote