Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 07:25 AM   #31
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by megacoupe View Post
Nate the Great: You can set the title, author, etc. Type "pdflrf -h" into the command prompt and you will see a list of the metadata available for this program.
I know this. I want this program to do it automatically.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #32
yota
yota began at the beginning.

Device: SONY Librie
Quote:
Originally Posted by phookoo View Post
OK, clearly I'm a bigger dumbass than anyone here, but as I don't spend ANY time in DOS ever, using it is more than a little confusing.

No matter what I try, wherever I put the pdflrf exe, I try typing cd c:\pdflrf into the DOS prompt & hit return & it just returns the message -

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents>cd c:\pdflrf
The system cannot find the path specified

Bear in mind the 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents>' is already there & I can't overtype it. The exe is currently residing directly in the C drive, but I have also tried putting it in a new folder by itself & using that pathname with no more luck.

Maybe I can help you a little.

Your current directory or "folder" is
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents

The command you typed "cd c:\pdflrf" means that you want to "Change Directory" i.e. move to a folder inside your C drive named "pdflrf".

But you're getting an error that says that there is no such "folder".

Are you sure you have a folder named "pdflrf" inside your C drive?

Probably the easiest way is to move the "pdflrf.exe" file and the pdf file you want to convert into your "My Documents" since your are now there.
Then you can just type

pdflrf -i foo.pdf -o foo.lrf -s

at the prompt where foo is the name of your pdf file.

or try typing

pdflrf -h

to display the help message!
Advert
Old 08-26-2007, 09:01 AM   #33
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
This thread should be made sticky!
The best PDF converter, period.
Only drawback now I see is the file size is huge compared to original. But it is not a real problem, since nowadays you can pick up a 1GB SD card for less than $10.
Thanks for the great work!
Old 08-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #34
cacapee
Connoisseur
cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.

Device: prs-500
megacoupe, thanks for the screenshots.

Quote:
I have another request. Are you able to access the title, publisher, author, etc of the PDF? Can you set that data to be written into the LRF file by default (so it doesn't have to be done by hand)?
Will be included in the next release

Quote:
- with -p and --nocrop options the pdf page is not filling the whole screen (looks like it has not been fit to cover whole screen). There is lots of free space at the right and at the bottom margins.
Be sure to use -rs. --nocrop will not crop whitespace on the sides

Quote:
IDIOT-PROOF guide anyone?
A gui is in the works.

Also be sure to use --colors 16 or --colors 4 along with -rs to further reduce file size.

Source code is still not ready to be released. As you can see there are no external dependencies so it is a huge wad of code. A list of the libraries used are gd, jpeg, png, zlib, unrar, poppler, freetype, libdjvu
Old 08-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #35
cfishy
cfishy began at the beginning.

Device: SONY reader, Sprint PPC-6700
Hi cacapee, Awesome job!

I just got done complaining about PDF support on Engadget and decided to come back and check things out. I tried PDFLRF and it's so awesome that I can't wait to convert all my pdf files. I cannot wait! so I rushed to create a little Windows utility to provide a drag and drop batch interface. Hope you don't mind I just whip up something quickly so we can all jump on it while waiting for your GUI to complete.

My GUI wrapper for PDFLRF is just called PDFLRF_GUI and it can be found here: http://www.carolchen.com/code/

(It's a rapid application so i will upload newer version whenever I get a chance to improve it. I know it's primitive but it gets some stuff done. comments welcome.)
Advert
Old 08-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #36
cfishy

GUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacapee View Post
A gui is in the works.
(what happened to my previous post?)
Awesome job! If you forgive me I cannot wait to start converting so i wrote a little GUI wrapper. It's primitive but it lets you drag and drop files, hit "Run" and be done with it.

It can be found here: http://www.carolchen.com/code/
Old 08-26-2007, 08:14 PM   #37
thinredline
Connoisseur
thinredline doesn't litterthinredline doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Pocket Edge, Nookd Simple Touch Glowlight, NGP
Looks like this tool will become the No.1 choice of PDF converter.

I also have a request: could the batch processing function be built into the tool later? This will save user a lot of times. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:22 AM   #38
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfishy View Post
(what happened to my previous post?)
Sorry about that, cfishy -- the "spam filter" caught it until one of us editors could look it over. We get a lot of posts selling cell phones and other dreck, and the filter catches them. Sometimes it gets a bit overzealous and grabs legitimate posts too. However, it should stop happening now that you've posted a few times, since one of its parameters (as I understand it) is the number of posts a user has made. Sorry for the mix-up.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:42 AM   #39
cacapee
Connoisseur
cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.

Uploaded version 0.3 which has a windows gui. --portrait has been removed and replaced by --rotation. Default is portrait now. Also metadata from pdf files are automatically read
Old 08-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #40
thinredline
Connoisseur
thinredline doesn't litterthinredline doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Pocket Edge, Nookd Simple Touch Glowlight, NGP
Could someone tell me what is the "erode" about? How should I choose this parameter?
Old 08-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #41
cacapee
Connoisseur

erode is similar to dilate in rasterfarian. It thickens the black regions proportional to the values specified. http://docs.gimp.org/2.2/en/plug-in-dilate.html
Old 08-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #42
cacapee
Connoisseur

Check out http://docs.gimp.org/2.2/en/plug-in-dilate.html
Old 08-27-2007, 11:09 PM   #43
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Okay... time for an ignorant newbie question.

Does this program actually help fit PDFs to the Reader screen?
I downloaded this file as a test:
http://www.targeting-the-kinome.org/images/Gasser2.pdf
I converted the first three pages.
What I saw was an exact replica of the PDF. So why convert in the first place? I was hoping that this program would extract the text and make it easier to read on the Reader screen. Am I missing something? Can you state the font size when converting?

Sorry to be such a newb, but can someone explain to me the benefits of this program? Is it just a matter of adjusting contrast?

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:13 AM   #44
Gowry
Gowry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
Smile It's great!

All I can say is wow!

Thank you for this great piece of software. Where's your paypal button?

I never thought I'd be able to read my programming books on this device after trying to convert some of them. If I converted to word then lrf, the formatting and graphics were all messed up or it was boxed, and any attempt to convert straight to lrf just made it unreadable...but after my first conversion with this, I can jump for joy!

Now if I could just find Terry Goodkind for sale as pdf...

Thanks again to both developers. Both the converter and GUI are wonderful!

Gowry

PS. I had a hard time figuring out if it was done at the end. The progress bar was full, but it wasn't finished...I could tell by my CPU meter. I think it'd be nice if the title bar maybe said PdfLrf - XX% and then changed to PdfLrf - Done! when finished. Just a suggestion

Last edited by Gowry; 08-28-2007 at 12:18 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 08-28-2007, 09:02 AM   #45
cfishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilarney View Post
Okay... time for an ignorant newbie question.
Sorry to be such a newb, but can someone explain to me the benefits of this program? Is it just a matter of adjusting contrast?
you will see the difference once you load them into your reader.
Closed Thread