Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #31
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Generallly speaking I dont want calibre to ever delete non book files. It could cause loss of metadata like annotations or cache results if the reader is storing them in those files. The only case where calibre deletes non book files is when you use a device driver to connect, in which case, the device driver knows which files are safe to delete for that device and does so, when deleting book files.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #32
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Kovid - you obviously know way more about the devices and what may use what. My intention with this feature was as described to only remove .opf and .jpg files that did not have a related book. If the directory had other things in it (like .mbp files on a Kindle) they would remain there untouched and the folder would not be removed.

Are you saying that removing the .opf files could cause a problem on some devices? Or is it just a general caution?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post

I am curious though - you don't have a cover in there too. Is that because you have that particular save to disk option turned off?
I have that turned Off.
Images (and MP3's) are a 'Viewable' format (as far as the file browser is concerned. And you can play an MP3 and read at the same time on the device )

I keep books in the books folders, Music and Images in their places as the Menu only displays 8 items at a time and no user filtering to exclude specific formats.

I use a copy of the 'Catalog' created by Calibre if I want to browse covers (there is no cover browser on the device) (It's 16 level grey scale, so why bother )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #34
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's just a general precaution. I don't know of any device where it would cause problems offhand, but I do know that there are *lots* of devices out there with variously broken firmware, so I would not want to take a chance in builtin calibre code. But having it as a plugin that the user knowingly runs is fine by me.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's just a general precaution. I don't know of any device where it would cause problems offhand, but I do know that there are *lots* of devices out there with variously broken firmware, so I would not want to take a chance in builtin calibre code. But having it as a plugin that the user knowingly runs is fine by me.
You just confirmed it: WAD

I would rather Calibre work to protect all users, rather than simply be convenient for a few
Advert
Old 04-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #36
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v1.3 Released

Changes in v1.3:
  • Rewritten for new plugin infrastructure in Calibre 0.7.53
  • Add check for EPUB with/without jacket
  • Add cleanup opf/jpg files/folders option to cleanup after save to disk/remove from device actions leaving orphaned files
Old 04-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #37
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Potential new type of 'Check':

Find titles which likely need 'Title Case' run on them (which can be executed from the bulk meta editor). Basically look for a medium to high percentage of uncapitalized words (excluding common joiner words), or a high percentage of words using All Caps.

Last edited by ldolse; 04-04-2011 at 04:14 AM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:49 AM   #38
Bertrand
Zealot
Bertrand began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hi,

Just out of curiosity :

I have 548 epubs in my library.

I run the plugin Quality Check > Check epub having jacket : only 5 !
Check epub missing jacket : 543 !

What is this "jacket" ?

I can see most of my covers in calibre, ADE, or on my Orizon reader.

What am I missing here ?

It's a great tool, I had numerous files with bad title sort, authors, missing commas here and there in authors, etc)

An other question, about "Check covers".
What is a "good" cover ? Is there some kind of standard ? Size, width, height ?

Thanks.
Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:04 AM   #39
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
Just out of curiosity :

I have 548 epubs in my library.

I run the plugin Quality Check > Check epub having jacket : only 5 !
Check epub missing jacket : 543 !

What is this "jacket" ?
It is the book jacket which is optionally inserted during conversion by checking the Insert metadata as page at start of book feature under the Structure Detection page. Not everyone wants this inserted in their book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
An other question, about "Check covers".
What is a "good" cover ? Is there some kind of standard ? Size, width, height ?
There is no standard. What is good is up to you.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:05 AM   #40
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Under structure detection in conversion there is an option to insert the metadata as the first page of the book. This is the 'jacket'. This function is telling you whether or not the book has ever been converted with this option.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:26 AM   #41
Bertrand
Zealot
Bertrand began at the beginning.

Device: None
Ahh, now I see !
Among the 5 books having a jacket, I didn't pay attention to this first page.
Nothing to do with the cover !

Thank you both for the replies.
Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:13 AM   #42
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Idolse/dwanthny - thanks for helping out Bertrand. Indeed not everyone likes the jacket so hence both options were provided in the plugin. People who want it on all their books will use the "Check EPUB missing jacket" option and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Potential new type of 'Check':

Find titles which likely need 'Title Case' run on them (which can be executed from the buld meta editor). Basically look for a medium to high percentage of uncapitalized words (excluding common joiner words), or a high percentage of words using All Caps.
Sounds useful, I will earmark it for the next release.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #43
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.3.1 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Fix bug in Check & fix file sizes from rewrite
  • Add check title case option to find all titles for which using Calibre's titlecase function would make a difference to the title

For anyone not aware of the titlecase feature, there are two ways to get to it that I am aware of. The first is on the bulk metadata editor dialog, with a checkbox called "Change title to title case".

The second is when editing the title field itself either in the library view or in the edit metadata dialog. If you right click there is a "Change Case" submenu with "Title Case" as one of the options.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #44
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Kiwidude
Check Jacket (either), does not respect Selected titles (v1.3.1),
it checked all 2090 when 10 were selected
Old 04-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #45
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@theducks - that is correct, none of the functions of QualityCheck look at your selection. They all operate on your entire library according to whatever search restrictions if any are in place.