Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #21031
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Going Dark was a treat!

Now back to another October Daye story, An Artificial Night (October Daye #3) by Seanan McGuire!
Now is the time for a Halloween Holiday Treat so, like some of the others who hang out in/on The Dresden Files thread I'm going to insert a re-read of Dead Beat (The Dresden Files #7) by Jim Butcher at this point of time!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #21032
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Currently reading "The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry" by Gabrielle Zevin. Fantastic writing. The most fun I've had with a book since reading "The Rosie Project".
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #21033
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Re-reading Storm Front by Jim Butcher. Great fun!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:30 AM   #21034
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
How does it compare to Pillars of the Earth?
Allow me to butt in. I haven't read PoTE, but Fall of Giants is an ordinary book in the opinion of the Goodreads group of which I am part of. We're reading it actually and we're nearly halfway through, and the book is fruity and melodramatic, and historically inaccurate. I don't intend to read the sequels. Nothing against people who like this book however, and if you enjoyed FoG more power to you.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:34 AM   #21035
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have read A Game of Thrones, now I'm reading A Clash Of Kings. I have the feeling that I'll give all books in the series 5/5, even if nothing is that definite. I'm late to reading this series so I intend to read all 5 books asap.
Advert
Old 10-25-2014, 02:26 AM   #21036
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Allow me to butt in. I haven't read PoTE, but Fall of Giants is an ordinary book in the opinion of the Goodreads group of which I am part of. We're reading it actually and we're nearly halfway through, and the book is fruity and melodramatic, and historically inaccurate. I don't intend to read the sequels. Nothing against people who like this book however, and if you enjoyed FoG more power to you.
I read Fall of Giants earlier this year and agree that it is fruity, melodramatic, not to mention cliched. At times I was amused by the predictable stereotypes. In fact, I have often been amused while reading passages that Follett relates in dead earnestness.

Then I read Winter of the World and purchased Edge of Eternity on the day it was released, although I haven't yet read it. But I will. Because Ken Follett is my guilty pleasure and I loved Fall of Giants. Sometimes all I ask is that a writer entertain me, whether or not it is intentional.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:23 AM   #21037
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
At times I was amused by the predictable stereotypes. In fact, I have often been amused while reading passages that Follett relates in dead earnestness.
Likewise here. I laughed when
Spoiler:
Ethel invoked God when she learned she was in the family way. And later when she blurts out to Billy who the father of her baby is. I also laughed at the lovemaking of Walter and Maud, their entire situation is quite unreal and funny. Lev Peshkov's shenanigans are so stupid and unintentionally droll. Also Fitz's supposed involvement in making the English fight in France, and oh, the infamous Walter-Fitz reunion on the front line.
I'm sure there'll be more such moments to enjoy.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #21038
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Likewise here. I laughed when
Spoiler:
Ethel invoked God when she learned she was in the family way. And later when she blurts out to Billy who the father of her baby is. I also laughed at the lovemaking of Walter and Maud, their entire situation is quite unreal and funny. Lev Peshkov's shenanigans are so stupid and unintentionally droll. Also Fitz's supposed involvement in making the English fight in France, and oh, the infamous Walter-Fitz reunion on the front line.
I'm sure there'll be more such moments to enjoy.
Yes. And yet I adored Ethel, Billy, Fritz, Lev, Walter, and all the cast. I cared what happened to them. A tear was occasionally shed. Against all odds, Follett tells a whopping good story.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:18 AM   #21039
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Yes. And yet I adored Ethel, Billy, Fritz, Lev, Walter, and all the cast. I cared what happened to them. A tear was occasionally shed. Against all odds, Follett tells a whopping good story.
I felt the same way!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #21040
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Mummy Case by Elizabeth Peters. The third in her Amelia Peabody mysteries.
An enjoyable caper, although I find the transcription of the child's speech irritating.

Next up: Psychlone by Greg Bear. Bought way back in November 2004!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #21041
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
An enjoyable caper, although I find the transcription of the child's speech irritating.

Yes, I agree. But still, the books are fun. Must be about time for me to read another one, if I can manage to leave my binge of Foreigner books for a bit.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #21042
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
One of the books on my next up list is The Gauguin Connection, which Hampshire Nanny mentioned upthread. I might start it tonight if I don't watch an episode of Murdoch Mysteries
The Gauguin Connection is the only book I completed in the past week; I enjoyed it though I still have a few niggles about the way things wrapped up (or didn't). Genevieve and her 'team' (a bit of an overstatement) are interesting, engaging characters and I was happy to pick up the second book in the series (The Dante Collection) for only $0.99 (it's on sale right now); it's now next up on the reading list. I see another one-book week coming up; I bought new Bible study software and I'm happily engrossed in learning its workings, which means little time for anything else.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #21043
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Re-reading Storm Front by Jim Butcher. Great fun!
Quote:
I have read A Game of Thrones, now I'm reading A Clash Of Kings. I have the feeling that I'll give all books in the series 5/5, even if nothing is that definite. I'm late to reading this series so I intend to read all 5 books asap.
I'm late to both the Game of Thrones and Dresden Files. I have bought the omnibus of the first five Game of Thrones books and at least the first 2 books in Butcher's series -- all sitting on my Kindle when I get around to reading them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
The Gauguin Connection is the only book I completed in the past week; I enjoyed it though I still have a few niggles about the way things wrapped up (or didn't). Genevieve and her 'team' (a bit of an overstatement) are interesting, engaging characters and I was happy to pick up the second book in the series (The Dante Collection) for only $0.99 (it's on sale right now); it's now next up on the reading list. I see another one-book week coming up; I bought new Bible study software and I'm happily engrossed in learning its workings, which means little time for anything else.
Thanks for letting me know that The Dante Connection is discounted. I picked it up and will certainly enjoy reading it very soon.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #21044
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Just finished Midnight Tides, book 5 of Malazan: Book of the Fallen. Halfway through! Woohoo! I am really liking the series.

Taking a break though and starting Cauldron of Ghosts by David Weber and Eric Flint. The third book in their "spy offshoot" Honorverse.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:28 AM   #21045
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Abandoned. The set-up is like a horror movie script - lots of different characters being introduced, many of whom are clearly doomed by whatever the things is that's causing the problems. I'm just not interested enough to find out what the horror is.

Next up: The Forlorn by Dave Freer. I'm rather surprised I haven't already read this. Perhaps I have, but it would have been ten years ago. Looking quite interesting at the moment.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote