Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Danielle
Enthusiast
Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.

Device: sony 950, eReader from eBookwise.com (sold)
Tablet Question

I was hoping to buy a Tablet so when I travel I can bring one device with me to read my email, surf the net and read both my Sony and Kindle books are it. I also have many books that I purchased from Fictionwise.com that I was hoping that I would be able to redownload in ePub format and also read on a tablet.

I was looking at the iPad but until they approve the Sony app it doesn't pay for me to buy it.

At this time is their a tablet that I can download both the Sony and Kindle app? Or one coming out in the near future? Or should I just keep my fingers crossed that Apple will one day approve Sony's app.

I hope this is the right place to ask this question.
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
AzB
AzB doesn't litterAzB doesn't litter

Device: nook color
I have a rooted book color that's a decent reader and a pretty neat tablet. Stock it won't read Kindle, but you could either convert with Calibre or root the noon and install the Kindle app.

Az
AzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
You can buy any Android tablet with access to the Android Market now and use the Sony and Kindle apps.

Something to consider about buying an iPad: Apple recently announced that it will start enforcing a provision that requires app providers to offer their apps both inside and outside the Apple apps store. Various content providers say Apple has given them conflicting or scant info, or not given some any info, which leaves them in limbo about how much it will cost them to offer content through Apple.

Trying to make sense of Apple's moves as a consumer, I've decided that that means I can longer count on Apple to provide book access. Even if there are no changes to access short term, I wonder about longer-term access to books, given Apple's power to cut off whichever vendors it decides to, if a vendor doesn't meet its terms.

There are many articles about this Apple development online. I suggest you look into that before buying an Apple device and make up your own mind about whether you think it's a worthwhile risk. I've decided to stop buying Apple devices because of this development.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 02-08-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Both Sony Reader and Kindle for Android are available in the Android Market. The best Android tablet available today is the "Samsun Galaxy Tab" which is available from all four major US cellular carriers, and has access to the Market. Sprint and Verizon carry a contract free version for $500, AT&T and T-Mobile also have them, but I don't know their price or terms.

There are also a host of other Android tablets with many price points/hardware configurations, but most of them do not have access to the Market without significant tweaking.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The Kindle app is readily available in and out of the market and runs on just about any Android tablet.
The Sony Reader app requires Android 2.2 and is only available in the marketplace.
Bear in mind that you only need the Sony App if you want to sync ebooks with a Sony 950. Other Apps (Aldiko, Overdrive, etc) can open DRM'ed books from the Sony store.
Some of them are available outside the market which opens up the door to a lot more tablet models without need for hacking.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

By the way, the Motorola Xoom is expected to start selling on February 24. Dunno your price point or hardware requirements, but it looks loaded and is expected to sell for $799. It's an Android device.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
You can either get a stock Android tablet with market access for around $500 or you can get a Nook Color for $250 and root it to get market access. The Nook Color is by far the better deal for what you want, if you're comfortable with rooting it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
By the way, the Motorola Xoom is expected to start selling on February 24. Dunno your price point or hardware requirements, but it looks loaded and is expected to sell for $799. It's an Android device.
These things just keep getting pricier and pricier. I'm sure glad the Nook Color came along. What a bargain at $250!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
These things just keep getting pricier and pricier. I'm sure glad the Nook Color came along. What a bargain at $250!
Depends on what you want from a device and what your price point is. I decide that for myself, and I figure each person is best able to decide for himself/herself. For my uses, I wouldn't bother with even a free Nook. I did give one as a gift, though, because it seemed like a good fit for the recipient. If not, I don't have trouble with him returning it and getting something that's a better fit. When I shop, I look at value as well as price. Value is subjective, of course.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Depends on what you want from a device and what your price point is. I decide that for myself, and I figure each person is best able to decide for himself/herself.
Totally agree.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Full Android Market and you will get a hardware that has been optimized and designed to work "as is" out of the box. No rooting or hack needed. With certain carriers you don't even have to get a contract or data plan. I have mine from Tmobile without a contract.

I do have on my GT: Kindle, Kobo, Sony, Nook, Google plus Aldiko. Even though you can covert formats, remove DRM, etc, with a tablet you read on native format and save time. You just open the Android app and start reading, that's it.

Nook Color needs to rooted in order to download apps from market and such action will void warranty. Even if you root it, you will get Android 2.1 only. Galaxy Tab runs Froyo (2.2) and out of the box.

By the way, most of those Android applications, like Kindle, has been recently optimized for Galaxy Tab bigger screen!

Last edited by jocampo; 02-08-2011 at 08:41 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
You can still buy an iPad if you want one. Of course it has a Kindle app and the free Bluefire act will let you read your Sony books and any other epub books that use adobe ARM. I've been rereading my Sony books on Bluefire and they look great.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Nook Color needs to rooted in order to download apps from market and such action will void warranty. Even if you root it, you will get Android 2.1 only. Galaxy Tab runs Froyo (2.2) and out of the box.
Just unroot it before sending it off for warranty. Easy to do and easy to reroot it after you get it back.

Android 2.2 will be available in the next month or two. I'm patient; especially when the Color sells for half the price of a Galaxy Tab.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are many articles about this Apple development online. I suggest you look into that before buying an Apple device and make up your own mind about whether you think it's a worthwhile risk. I've decided to stop buying Apple devices because of this development.
True!

And is a shame. Even though I don't like Apple closed eco-system, iPad is and was a good concept. They basically pushed tablets in the market and probably the reason why we can enjoy so many tablet's options today.

The problem is, in my opinion, that Android is growing and getting stronger and Apple does not like that. Android market is getting a lot of traction now and without too many obstacles, developers can write more and better apps for all the oncoming tablet users.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Just unroot it before sending it off for warranty. Easy to do and easy to reroot it after you get it back.
Well, it is not only unrooting. The main issue is that you can potentially brick your device and the risk is there. It is clearly warned on the website before downloading the script. Yes, risk is min. but exists.

If money is not an issue, I will certainly buy a device which is officially supported by the manufacturer.