Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #23341
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
SNIP

I am not sure what powers the Monarch has in Belgium but I would guess that the Monarch is very careful because all it takes a mistep or two for Parliament to decide that a Monarch is not needed.
Heh, that made me laugh. You'd think so wouldn't you. Yet every Belgian royal has made major missteps, most of them very recently. The worst consequence was a discussion in parliament to lower the dotation (11,5 million euro's every year!) they get. Which probably won't happen in the very near future.

Sure, they have a ceremonial role. At least we're that lucky. One of our kings, Boudewijn I, once refused to sign the law making abortion legal in Belgium because of his personal beliefs. They had to decide he was 'unfit to rule' and had to be dismissed from his office for 36 hours. Just last month Fabiola (wife of former king Boudewijn) decided to start a fund filled with every penny she ever got from the government (which is in short the people's money and should go to 'the common cause') just so she could give it to her family when she dies. And not just any family. No, they had to have a christian marriage. And then I haven't even talked about our two brilliant princes, who can't go anywhere without saying or doing something incredibly stupid and embarrassing.

At least they made sure the monarch doesn't have any power any more. He's just an adviser these days. But they still represent the country.

Nope, not a big fan of monarchies And definitely not a fan of the Belgian monarchy.

I'd best make a walk right now, to calm down a bit. I'll go get a cup of tea, my cup is empty at the moment.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #23342
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
See, we only really hear about the Brits over hear. Ocassionally the Spanish Monarchy.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #23343
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
I have a sneaking suspicion that if any of the European Royals exercised what political power would find themselves out of a job as Parliament would vote them out of existance.
Our Queen has a political function as she forms the Government, together with the ministers. Her political power isn't all that clear, but she meets with the PM every week. If she doesn't agree with things, she will speak out I guess, with the wisdom her position brings.
http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/globale...head-of-state/
She is of importance for the cohesion of our land and has a role in society, in things cultural and economics (State Visits for the promotion of our economic interests).
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
Does prince Wilem has good reputation as queen Beatrix, blues?
Yes, we have a very intelligent Queen and Prince Willem-Alexander will be a good successor. He has matured very nicely. The Royal House is popular in the Netherlands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
So, forgive my stupid American ignorance... but not sure I understand the modern concept of "king" and "queen." I am pretty sure that Brittian's queen is a symbolic postion now, and that parliament rules the country, is that correct? Is that true for Queen Beatrix also?
It do not know about Queen Elisabeth, but I think her position is comparable to that of Queen Beatrix. I do not think they both are entirely without political influence. They both have a cohesive, representative and encouraging role.

But....all things said and done......we will have a terrific national feast on the 30th of april.

in my cup: hot coffee
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #23344
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Tea in my mug; oats and berries in my bowl.

Weird weather outside.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #23345
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We enjoyed the warm weather today with a nice walk. The windows are open for the time being.
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #23346
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Just got home from Illinois,
lock the front door, oh boy!
Got to sit down, take a rest on the porch.
Imagination sets in,
pretty soon I'm singing,
Doo, doo, doo, Looking out my back door.

There's a giant doing cartwheels,
A statue wearing high heels.
Look at all the happy creatures dancing on the lawn.
A dinosaur Victrola listening to Buck Owens.
Doo, doo, doo, Looking out my back door.

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RqZhM75aGMg)

It's BLOODY FREEZING!
I've gone from 28 degrees to 3 degrees in less than three hours! I'm pretty sure I prefer the 28 degrees...
Good morning, everyone! Be it ever so humble, there is no place like home! On the other hand, there is no place like a luxury yacht either... They aren't too uncomfortable as a place to spend the weekend. This one even had room service... It's a shame I was only hired for a two-day shoot. But I don't think I want to work with young newly-weds again. They wanted to make seven dives in two days. Four would be the norm. Seven? What ever happened to newly-weds never leaving the bedroom? Maybe somebody forgot to tell them about that part. Granted, the underwater scenery in that area IS spectacular, and certainly nothing like what they would find diving Japanese waters. Thank God the boat could mix Nitrox (higher O2, lower N) so the surface intervals were shorter and the overall feeling less tiring.

But I'm back with my favorite mug, and it's filled with East India Company's "Royal Breakfast" tea, miso soup, rice and tsukemono. A nice change after European breakfasts aboard the boat, although the croissants were out of this world! Now I have to spend the next couple of days staring at the computer, editing the photos for this part of their wedding album, and making a run downtown for some archival paper to print out the best shots.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #23347
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Welcome home, Stitchawl

The usual diet dr pepper in my cup - though it is almost gone.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #23348
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Loving life. I got Marvin working tonight.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #23349
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Loving life. I got Marvin working tonight.
Well I'm sure that's not a new man in your life��
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #23350
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Pfffff, boyfriend is seriously ill and spend the whole night tossing and turning. Then at 4 o'clock his cough medicine and nasal spray stopped working, and he started coughing, sneezing and blowing his nose as well.

*sigh*

So I got up at 5 because I was wide awake anyway, took the train at 6 and I'm now already sitting at my desk ... The only living creature in our entire building ... But at least I get to go home at 4PM instead of 5 PM

Cappuccino in my cup. Last day at the office, tomorrow we have a worktrip to Den Haag and friday I'll be working at home!
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #23351
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Iced water was in my cup, but it is now empty.

But in two day's there'll be some Coke Zero!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #23352
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
iced water.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #23353
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Blue Spring Oolong
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #23354
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Nothing. I always seem to get to this thread after I've finished my iced water!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #23355
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Keemun

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?