Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #286
emilianm
emilianm began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
AFAIK, you can use FBReader with a third-party app called FBSync, provided that you have a Dropbox account as well. It needs the devices to be rooted, though, so it's a bit of a hassle.
Thanks FBSync and FBReader are working OK, and the integrated ColorDict with translation is fantastic !
emilianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #287
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh, Why Not? View Post
Perhaps I missed it, but I don't see Mantano listed yet.
It has been added. Thanks for your contribution!
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #288
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
FBReader now supports online catalogs. It's my preferred reader for being a straightforward ePub/mobi reader and not focusing on useless pbook emulation stuff like page flipping animations, paper texture or "shelves". What good is having books in shelves when you got hundreds of them? I much rather prefer lists with different sorting criteria available...

I also got Kindle installed and bought the well recommended Charlie Stross' "Singularity Sky" today. Kindle for modern day ebooks and FBReader for gutenberg classics, that's the way for good reading on an android smartphone to me. It's ostrageous not to have public domain books available for free for Kindle -- which is weird since they get you "Pride and Prejudice" and "Treasure Island" for free on install. OTOH, I like FBReader visualization customization options much better, particularly margin and font sizes.

Gotta say 1-click is truly an amazing service, though.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #289
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hmm, Im not seeing the original eReader.com App which allows you to read protected PDB files from eReader.com / Fictionwise.

While' I've not seen it in the Android Market it can easily be downloaded from the eReader.com website and installed on any android device (which allows you to install apps from outside the market of course)

Also for Comics I'll like to Mention Comic Reader Mobi which allows you to read ZIP, RAR, CBR and CBZ files. While it was only recently added to the Market, Its been available for a while outside and was available earlier on the iPad.

While It's expensive, I've found it invaluable on my iPad (though it is no longer available except if you jailbreak)and will be getting it for my Android as well as none of the other readers I've tried so far have have that same combination of features.

It may be worth heading over to his site to have a look at the features, and have a look at the Demo he's set up where you can see how your files will look on your screen before plunking down the cash.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #290
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Hmm, Im not seeing the original eReader.com App which allows you to read protected PDB files from eReader.com / Fictionwise.
I downloaded that some time ago, just to see. I hated it for WinMo, though I managed to bear it on Palm. I think I had some authentication issues and never managed to use it though.

Quote:
Also for Comics I'll like to Mention Comic Reader Mobi which allows you to read ZIP, RAR, CBR and CBZ files. While it was only recently added to the Market, Its been available for a while outside and was available earlier on the iPad.
That looks really incredible. That's enough to make me want to find some comics I enjoy. I haven't really read any since Calvin and Hobbes. Karma for you.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #291
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Hi guys

I am completely new to ebooks, ereading and Android. I am coming to this world from Desktop PDF reading. I decided that I will buy an Android device for PDF annotations. I need your help to find out which of the above listed apps do these:
-highlighting automatically copying the text to a note
-can add bookmarks to the PDF
-the obtained document can be seen on the desktop with the highlights and the notes attached above
-optionally, it would be great if I can export the notes obtained by highlighting to a separate document although I can do that on the desktop where I do need to finally process the notes

So which one of the above fits the bill? I am trying to learn about Android ereader apps and to see if it is worth going down this path.

thanks
PF
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #292
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I downloaded that some time ago, just to see. I hated it for WinMo, though I managed to bear it on Palm. I think I had some authentication issues and never managed to use it though.
Funny I was able to authenticate pretty easily, went through on my second try (was adding a Mr in front of my name by mistake). Works, ok, though not as well as the iOS version, and does seem to have issues display a couple of titles, though once the book is open it works fine.

I'll suggest trying it out again, as I believe it may have been updated in that time and should hopefully work for you now.

I do admit I'm Mainly using it for older stuff which I bought on Fictionwise in various sales and have not yet finished or want to reread. New stuff is usually from Amazon, as I can now DeDRM it for archival

Quote:
That looks really incredible. That's enough to make me want to find some comics I enjoy. I haven't really read any since Calvin and Hobbes. Karma for you.
And whats more, Ty (the creator) has said that he is going to be switching to a universal licence in the near future, so that if you buy it from his site, you get it for every platform he develops for such as Android, Black Berry, WM7, iOS (Jailbroken only Unfortunately).

Also All current customers get upgraded for free to that and all future versions, so the Price while a little expensive compared to some of the others offers a lot more.

As for comics, I actually often create my own from either scanning, or from Webcomics, etc which makes rereading the whole series a lot faster, and more fun as you don't need connectivity.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #293
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
As for comics, I actually often create my own from either scanning, or from Webcomics, etc which makes rereading the whole series a lot faster, and more fun as you don't need connectivity.
Thanks, I was about to ask about that. I don't suppose there is some exhaustive guide to digital comics out there for a noob like me...

In re: webcomics, I actually have an xkcd specific app, xkcd probably wouldn't translate well to another application due to the importance of the alt-text. But I'd like to expand my comic horizons.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #294
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Thanks, I was about to ask about that. I don't suppose there is some exhaustive guide to digital comics out there for a noob like me...

In re: webcomics, I actually have an xkcd specific app, xkcd probably wouldn't translate well to another application due to the importance of the alt-text. But I'd like to expand my comic horizons.
Really depends on what you want.

If you want advice on what to read, then Sites like iFanboy, etc are probably a good bet. But everything they suggest may not be available digitally.

If you are looking for apps, then look below.

The big daddy on both iOS and Android for Legal comics appears to be Comics by Comixology which has comics from DC Comics, Image, IDW, Archie & many more available for sale.

The other big one is Graphicly which has comices from Marvel, and most of the rest of the well know publishers and most Indies that Comixology does not offer.

Marvel's own comic app which is subscription based is not yet available on Android, but as it is on iOS and PSP It will probably come to android some time soon most likely after then glut of Tablets expected over the next few months.

The thing to keep in mind is that comics offered by these three are DRM protected, though I believe can be accessed on the Web and on other platforms where they offer a reader. Also, Prices usually range from being the same as news stand prices to just a bit less.

Another interesting looking one is Vintage Comic Droid, which offers access to older Public Domain comics. While I've not spent much time with it, id oes look interesting and is free.

If you have your own scans or want to read CBR's and CBZ's then Besides Comic Book Mobi, there is also Droid Comic Reader which while basic is free.

There are also a number of comics pre packaged in their own individual apps, but I usually stay far from them.

Uh - Forgot to add a couple of links which talk about Digital comics in general which may provide a nice summary as well

LifeHacker - A Comic Book Lovers Guide to going Digital
IGN's Guide to Digital Comics

Last edited by bbusybookworm; 06-23-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: forgot a couple of links
Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #295
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:

Also for Comics I'll like to Mention Comic Reader Mobi which allows you to read ZIP, RAR, CBR and CBZ files.
Thanks for the contribution. I've added them to the list. I added eReader with a note: (not in the Android Market) since some people may have problems with apps that are from outside sources.

Edit: Also added "ComiCat" on a suggestion by brennivin.

Last edited by beartard; 06-28-2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Added ComiCat
Old 07-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #296
mxyz
Android fan
mxyz doesn't littermxyz doesn't littermxyz doesn't litter

Device: Android HD2
I really appreciate the notes section you keep in the list. I was able to scan for stuff I care about (auto scroll, formats) and settled quickly on moon+ that I purchased and love. Suggestion: consider formatting the list into a table (excel) and include column headers for key features (such as formats and autoscroll). Thanks again.
mxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #297
lost101
Enthusiast
lost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: HTC Hero
Cool Reader now supports text-to-speech, as of version 3.0.49-5.
lost101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #298
beartard
Minister of Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxyz View Post
I really appreciate the notes section you keep in the list. I was able to scan for stuff I care about (auto scroll, formats) and settled quickly on moon+ that I purchased and love. Suggestion: consider formatting the list into a table (excel) and include column headers for key features (such as formats and autoscroll). Thanks again.
Thanks for the feedback. The problems with a table are I'd have no idea how to make it display properly and I haven't reviewed many of the apps at all, and some not for a long time. That's why I rely on contributions and updates from everyone else since I only use the nook app on my Android phone for reading books when I don't have my nook with me.

Just a note for everyone...if you have reviewed an ebook app and have found something new or interesting, pm me and I will definitely add it to the list and update the features. I still review the popularity stats on the market periodically and revise the list. It's probably due for an update now, in fact.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #299
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Have you considered adding information from this thread to the Android section of MobileRead's Wiki page for E-book software? (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_software#Android).
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #300
beartard
Minister of Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Have you considered adding information from this thread to the Android section of MobileRead's Wiki page for E-book software? (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_software#Android).
That's a really good idea. I wasn't even aware there was such a resource The school year is starting right now, so I'm in indentured servitude for the next two weeks at the very least.

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one