Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Change fonts for Adobe Digital Edition?

I am assuming this is a no, and I did a search first, but I must have done a bad search because I got nothing back.

I am reading my first Adobe Digital Edition book, and find the times lacking on the second zoom. I have to zoom in for it to be easily read. it is very faint.

I am chalking it up to the PDF format because I noticed it on another PDF I have too.

Is there a way to change the font, or is that a no go?

Would I be better trying to convert it to Mobi format?

Thank you.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
You have to edit the internal files of the .epub container to get it to use a different font, because the reader software won't let you use a different font. Yes, mobi is better as you can change fonts more easily in the reader, but because they dropped mobi drm, then we really need to get the Adobe stuff fixed.

I am puzzled as to why this is still broken. Are they actually even trying to correct this problem with the reader software?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
To switch to sans-serif, by modifying the .epub file, see Changing fonts not working? Note that I also turned on bold and forced left justification but you don't have to do that.

You can use the same approach to specify your own fonts, see Fonts and Epub - What works on Sony, Works for Pocket Pro too!
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
To switch to sans-serif, by modifying the .epub file, see Changing fonts not working? Note that I also turned on bold and forced left justification but you don't have to do that.

You can use the same approach to specify your own fonts, see Fonts and Epub - What works on Sony, Works for Pocket Pro too!
yep, like I said, you have to modify the internals of each epub file - not what I see as a 'consumer friendly' option though.

I think Robert should comment here to say whether he has reported the problem, whether Jinke know about it, and ideally, a timeframe for getting it fixed.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Those are great suggestions, except we are talking about PDF here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
I am chalking it up to the PDF format because I noticed it on another PDF I have too.
I think you are just out of luck without converting to a different format, rock. I'm sorry.

That being said, the conversion tools are slowly getting better...
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
Those are great suggestions, except we are talking about PDF here:

I think you are just out of luck without converting to a different format, rock. I'm sorry.

That being said, the conversion tools are slowly getting better...

yeah that is what I was thinking, I was hoping for a nice easy solution, but I just know what to do in the future.

Right now I am reading World War Z and I have it Zoomed 3 times (new firmware allows you to zoom a lot better on PDF's). It means more Page turns, but it is nice and easy to read. Still it is odd when a page Ends there is a bunch of blank space unlike the mobipocket which accounts for it.

But I figured there was no real easy way, since PDF's are really just glorified pictures in a way.

Still love my e-reader. It is just so compatible with so many more formats. I have Dante's Inferno in Rich Text and easy to read, and a book of Greek Mythologies in simple text that I got from a website. Also I have rar files and it just opens for me, I love it. Just PDF's are little hard to read, but what do you expect with 5' you know? Sorry I went on a ramble there lol.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
Dasha
Connoisseur
Dasha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Post PDF File Font in Kindle is showing about 6 PC Font Size

I have had no response to this so I guess it's in the wrong place I have moved it to a New Thread under PDF

Hi all Just another Newbi here, I hope I am in the right forum? I am only just getting familiar with my Kindle 3 and Calibre! As an experiment I sent a PDF file of about 20 Pages to Calibre then onto the Kindle (in Docs) I assumed that the Default Settings in Calibre which (no easy feat for a novice like me) is set to a very mild cream (255,255,235,) for the Page color and 16 Pixel' "Candara Font" for the Main "Page Text" would automatically Rub off onto the PDF file when it went through Calibre and then to Kindle Not so the Font is about a 6 in PC https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/redface.giffont and the Page looks a drab Yellowy Green. So what I need to know is how can I change the PDF AND Other eBooks to my choice as Default Settings in Calibre OR should I have converted the PDF to Mobi first? Or maybe I should have sent the PDF to Calibre eReader First Could someone take me through this please in Pictures if you have them In summing up at this point in learning' I just want to be able to choose the size and type of Font to Default to all my Files and of coarse the Page color that will be readable in Kindle hope you can help Dasha

Last edited by Dasha; 02-14-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: No Response Here Moved to New Thread
Dasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
the problem is not the font size but the page size. If you set the output page size to the size of your screen or there abouts the fonts will be fine.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
Dasha
Connoisseur

Thanks very much for that Dale where would I find the Kindles screen display Size? is that what you meant? and then set it into Calibre as the default Output Page Size?
Old 02-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasha View Post
Thanks very much for that Dale where would I find the Kindles screen display Size? is that what you meant? and then set it into Calibre as the default Output Page Size?
Kindles come in two sizes. The wiki defines the different models. Typically a 6" device is: 4.8" x 3.6" This dimension is used on all E Ink 6" devices. For the 9.7" reader it is 8.0" x 5.5".
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Dasha
Connoisseur

Thats what I needed Dale Silly me I realised I only had to look up the Kindles Spec's for this Duh!

I will assume that you agreed that what I said about Defaulting My preferences into Calibre Output parameters as in "Page size and Page Color was correct Thanks again Cheers Dasha