Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Page numbers that overlapp text

I'm currently reading ePub files in Digital Editions and I'm a bit anoyed by how the page numbers are constantly overlapping the last few letters of words, instead of being "printed" next to the word. I'm planning on getting the 505 the next time I visit england and so I was wondering if the 505 also has this problem?
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehel View Post
I'm currently reading ePub files in Digital Editions and I'm a bit anoyed by how the page numbers are constantly overlapping the last few letters of words, instead of being "printed" next to the word. I'm planning on getting the 505 the next time I visit england and so I was wondering if the 505 also has this problem?
Alas, it does. EPUBs generated by Calibre and from feedbooks.com circumvent this problem somewhat by creating left & right margins in such a way that the page numbers appear in the margin and not over the text itself.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
But yes, you still see them in the 505, just not superimposed on the text but at the margin and not always in the same place of the page.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
alehel
Zealot

And who would I have to contact if I want to "kindly suggest" that they add the ability to turn off this page numbering? I take it the page number system in epub files is just some sort of tag in the source file. Surely it shouldn't be to hard to program the software to ignore the tag if the user wanted it to.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehel View Post
And who would I have to contact if I want to "kindly suggest" that they add the ability to turn off this page numbering? I take it the page number system in epub files is just some sort of tag in the source file. Surely it shouldn't be to hard to program the software to ignore the tag if the user wanted it to.
That would be Adobe, but I'm not sure it's something they're very interested in changing. The "pages" AdobeDE uses don't have any direct correlation to "screensful of text." Without something like the marginal numbers, there's no way to show the user where "page" boundaries occur.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
But yes, you still see them in the 505, just not superimposed on the text but at the margin and not always in the same place of the page.
Well, it makes sense it does not always appear at the same position, as it would depend on the size of the "original" page.

By the way, I really wonder about the choice to keep the original document pagination. I know it can be important for references, but I don't see how having a different pagination on each reader is any different than having the same pbook in different formats. I mean, you don't see numbers in the margins of paperbacks just to reflect the original hardback...
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
alehel
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Without something like the marginal numbers, there's no way to show the user where "page" boundaries occur.
Would a person reading crime fiction such as myself care? I certainly don't care where the page boundaries are and would therefore apreciate the ability to not have them displayed, whereas those who do wish to know, can turn it on in the preferances, thus giving us all the ability to do what we want and not what Adobe wants. Also, seeing as the books I'm reading (currently reading books by Colin Dexter) have been published in numerous editions, all in different sizes, the page numbers don't actually help for the purpose of referance, other than informing the publisher of typos.