Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
thegrendel
thegrendel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Next Sony reader: wish list

Hopefully, Sony will come out with a new upgraded model reader in a year or two ...

Wish list:

* Plug-in / detachable keyboard. A small, maybe foldable keyboard, like the old Palm Pilots had, that plugs into the expansion port.

* Dictionary

* Text search function

* Annotation capability

(The above three would, of course, rely on the plug-in keyboard.)

* Ability to install games and apps.

* Open programming interface, with capability of dropping to the underlying (Linux)
OS and program in Bash, and possibly other languages.

* Plug-in modem, with maybe Internet connect capability.
thegrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Keyboard I like, but not detachable. Hidden or slider would be better. Otherwise it'll just get lost or left at home.

Plug in modem? Wifi is much better and I would say 99% likely with the next Reader.

Touchscreen would be nice, since any time I hand my Reader to a new person that's the first thing they try to do. It would be good for annotations too.

Games; don't want 'em. That's what God made the PSP for.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Annotation via a touchscreen w/ handwriting recognition would obviate the need for an alteration of the physical form-factor --- this would be my #1 wish and would make it a true replacement for my Newton MessagePad.

Supporting BlueTooth would cover adding an external keyboard, or doing WiFi &c.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Games; don't want 'em. That's what God made the PSP for.
Sorry, wrong. God made the DS Lite... Sony made the PSP.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
I would like them to be tougher, cheaper and with a built in LED light (similar to a light wedge). That's all I want in a reader for pleasure reading.

Touchscreen keyboard and extra functions would be better for a folio sized (8.5x11) size that I could use for technical documents, textbooks, and reference books.
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
The Alternative
Techno-Junkie
The Alternative doesn't litterThe Alternative doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 (x's 2), PRS-505, PRS-600, iPhone, iPad
A backlight of some sort for reading at night or dimmly lit places would be nice too...
The Alternative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
The variety of games would be somewhat limited on an eInk device, since even the new Epson controller can only handle "simple animations".

Oh, and that is what I'd like to see on the next iteration. The controller that is. Along with 16 shades of gray as it is purported to support. I'd also love to see a version of the reader with a larger 8", or even a 9.7", display. Oh, and a real folder structure!
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
None of this makes my list, except dictionary lookup and some method for indicating for which word I'm searching. Stylus seems the obvious choice. And if we have a stylus, then I see other possibilities, but none essential.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I just want a device to read books with. I use my iPhone for all other things mentioned here. With that in mind, my biggest want is something like on-the-go on the ipods, i.e. the ability to add books to a specific collection without hooking it up to a computer.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #10
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On second thought, I like writing down unfamiliar words in my journal du jour and looking them up later.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:36 AM   #11
shawn99
shawn99 began at the beginning.

the ability to take specific quotes or paragraphs and put it in a notepad for referencing.
shawn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:01 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
My wish list...
Search text and dictionary would be very welcome....as long as implementation of them, if I don't use them, would not drain battery faster than 505 right now. 505's battery life is considerably shorter than of 500. When I just bought 500 it had 3 weeks and 505 had only 2 weeks. Don't want it any shorter, otherwise it will loose one of its biggest advantages over other readers.

And of course, please please NO permanent keyboard! I am willing to give up on dictionary and search text as long as the reader does NOT have keyboard!

Last edited by astra; 05-20-2008 at 05:03 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:02 AM   #13
Dajala
Enthusiast
Dajala began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Sony PRS-505
...A faster processor so it can handle more books.
Dajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:36 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A faster CPU would very likely mean increased power consumption and a shorter battery life. Would you be willing to accept that?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:26 AM   #15
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

And a faster processor wouldn't let it "handle more books", unless I misunderstand that expression. A larger internal storage, would.

Tags
dictionary, keyboard, upgrade