Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Having extra devices also helps solve the lendability "problem" some have with ebooks. I've used my old Kindle's as loaners a time or two.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
So I can read what I want, when I want without having to fight my wife for 'the reader'

Other than that: (Astak) E-Ink for general reading anyplace. The Tab for PDF and color (indoor) reading needs
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #18
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
They just collect themselves; I don't have much to do with it.

I have my first reader (Sony PRS-505) although with the depleted battery life and non-wifi, I don't use it as much. At the moment it is on my kitchen counter waiting for both new books and a new charge. Normally I keep it in my work tote and I read on it during lunch. Lately I have been using my iPad for lunch reading, but once I get new books loaded onto it, I'll switch back.

My second reader was a Kindle (keyboard, wi-fi only) that my husband bought for me on some special deal. It is full of freebies and copies of books that I have purchased for my son's Kindle. I keep it at home; it doesn't travel.

My third reader was a Sony PRS-T1, on clearance, to replace my PRS-505. (I say I bought it because my 505 was dying, but really I wanted to have wi-fi.) I keep this one at home as well; actually, I alternate reading one of my purchased books on this reader with reading a free book on my Kindle. These are also the two that I read the most books on and the most often.

My fourth reader is a NOOK HD+ tablet, also on clearance. I wanted the smaller size to carry around and use for reading (instead of my phone) but the store was completely out -- this was the only tablet they had left. At $99, it seemed like a good bargain, so I bought it anyway. It turns out that it is not the same size as my (full-size) iPad and I like reading on it better. I don't take it everywhere; I only bring it along when I know I'm going to be able to read on it for awhile.

I read on my phone, too, but only when I don't have some other reader with me. (Not very often; I'm pretty good at predicting when I need to bring the NOOK wit me.)
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #19
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Why? Gadget lust. Combined with affordability. (I lusted for a Kindle a long time, til 2010 when they finally came into my price range). I've had and sold quite a few. Currently I still have several...including a kindle paperwhite which I seldom use (my son uses it, though). I like the Kobo Glo better so if that's the form factor I want, I grab the Glo.

And I have 2 readers that are even better....because they allow me to keep books in folders and subfolders rather than collections. The Onyx Firefly is lighted, but kind of big and heavy, and I wouldn't take it anywhere there was the slightest possibility of it getting damaged, as I could not afford to replace it. The other one is the Nook simple touch, which is great, though not lighted, but is one I will take anywhere and not despair if it should be damaged.

Of the four, I think the Kobo Glo is my favorite, due to it's size, weight, and even lighting.

I'd like to get another....a lighted Kobo Mini, or any good quality lighted 5" light-weight reader.

Oh and I also bought a Nook HD 7" for $99 to read on....and it is a phenomenal reader, even in sunlight. But, bigger and heavier than the Onyx Firefly.

Last edited by booklover6; 08-23-2013 at 01:15 PM.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #20
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Two reasons, portability and to a lesser extent, for library books.

I love my Kindle Keyboard and it's my main ereader, but my PRS 350 is used for taking to work because I can fit it (inside it's nice sleek case) in my pocket, and it's also easier to read library books (in the UK so no Kindle library books available).
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #21
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Some people collect baseball cards, I collect eReaders. I just like the variety of eReaders that is out there, and it never hurts to have *several* backups in case one breaks.

Plus, I've never found one eReader that suits all my needs, and until I do I'll just keep collecting more.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #22
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
People have multiples of a lot of things, why should e-readers be any different? I have a Kindle Keyboard, and my wife has a Kindle Fire. I'm tempted by the Paperwhite, but I would still keep the KK, because it has sound and text to speech. An extra e-reader lets you loan it to someone, great for when you have house guests. You can keep an extra e-reader in your car, so you always have one with you.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #23
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
I like having my Mini as an extra for on-the-go so I don't have to remember to specifically pick up my Glo when leaving the house. My Nexus could technically be called a third reading device, but I don't read anything other than comics or manga on it as it bothers my eyes to read text on a backlit screen for long periods of time.
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #24
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Because I'm way too into gadgets.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #25
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
I read with the Kindle paperwhite, but keep my old K3 because it has that free 3G outside Europe-ish thing, as well as text to speech, which I use a lot.
And an iPad for pdf, comics etc., but I don't really consider that an ereader.
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #26
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
What if it dies in the middle of a book that was really getting exciting and you don't have the physical book as a backup?
This. I had someone deliberately run over my nook HD+. Luckily I have spares.
If you are wondering how it got run over????????
I laid it on the trunk of my car and drove off. I saw it go flying and pulled over onto a side street. I was standing by it, waiting for 5 cars to drive by. the last one swerved and deliberately ran over it. I was sure happy that I had Square Trade.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #27
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I pretty much never sell anything. I keep my old ebook readers as backups, and I use my small PRS-350 to take out with me, while I use my larger and heavier Kobo Aura for reading at home, for the most part.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #28
Rime
Rime is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
I have 3. One is for books I haven't read yet, one is for keepers, and one is for the car. I'll probably add a 4th, because the car reader ( I always used to keep a book in the car : post office lines, train crossings, dr appointments, etc ) is a Kindle K3 that the kitten jumped down onto, and trashed a triangular segment of the screen. ( I shouldn't call him the kitten anymore, because he weighs 18 pounds. Readers aren't that fragile ) I can usually figure out from the context what was in that missing corner, but not always.

With pbooks, the new books had a dedicated shelf where they lived until they were read and either made the cut or went off on a visit to the used bookstore. Now, they have a separate reader. The keeper ereader only talks to the outside world via Calibre. With wireless off, the battery lives much longer.

Last edited by Rime; 08-22-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Rime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #29
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I only use the PW now. my other devices are there just for the track record...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #30
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Two reasons, portability and to a lesser extent, for library books.

I love my Kindle Keyboard and it's my main ereader, but my PRS 350 is used for taking to work because I can fit it (inside it's nice sleek case) in my pocket, and it's also easier to read library books (in the UK so no Kindle library books available).
I use my Nook str and my sony350 exactly the same way. The 350 is just SO easy to fit into anything
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote