Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 06-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
KoboJason
Kobo Vox Product Manager
KoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch
Google Play Now Available on Kobo Vox

Hi everyone,

We're pleased to announce the availability of over 500,000 apps as part of our support for Google Play™. You can now take advantage of more music, movies, Android™ apps, and games than ever before with the Google Play store app preloaded on the Kobo Vox.

For current Kobo Vox users, Google Play will be automatically included in the software update the next time they connect to the internet.

Best,
Jason

Last edited by KoboJason; 06-14-2012 at 09:58 AM.
KoboJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Just got the update. Thank you Kobo development team! The first app I downloaded was google drive--it is where my Calibre Library and other books live in my world.

Be patient, the download and then update process takes awhile. Don't think it is broken when this is happening.

Last edited by taming; 06-14-2012 at 10:05 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I just jumped through a whole lot of hoops yesterday to get the Ihome Sleep app onto my Vox from my phone... Should have waited another day!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Vox seemed a bit sluggish initially. I turned it off and then on again and things improved a whole lot.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Well colour me shocked! Not that I'm against having the Play support, I just thought it would never happen.

On a side note, I still think it was a extremely poor business move to have the marketing talking about Play support before it was available to the customers. After all, false advertising is false advertising, no matter how long it goes on for...
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I believe people ordering new devices were getting Play at the time it was announced--but the update was not coming down to us yet.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I think we can cut them some slack here seeing as it was only a couple of days until it actually was available...
My update only took 5 minutes, start to finish, and went without any hitches. Nice to have the Play store available even though I had figured out lots of alternatives by now. Makes everything so much simpler!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Google apps on Vox will not connect with Google servers

OK, feedback so far.

The update broke my Lookout Security app, so it crashes and it won't run.

Annoying feature of the Kobo app tagging purchased books as 'previews' still not fixed.

It looked like I wasn't going to be able to get to the Google market at all, but I tried going through the 'settings' menu and then the "Accounts and sync settings".

Last edited by 49Kat; 06-14-2012 at 11:27 AM.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I'm so excited by this announcement! No more scouring the internet to find an app that's only available on Google Play.

Off to update now!
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Hijacking thread...

Two questions about this update for people who have loaded it:

1. Is rooting using zergrush still working?
2. Is sleep of death fixed for anyone as a result of this update?

Thanks.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lookout

I had to uninstall Lookout and delete my Lookout account via their website. I downloaded and installed Lookout through Google Play and it's working now. I did end up with a free two week trial of the premium version again. I hadn't wanted to delete my account, but it wouldn't let me have what it perceived as more than one device. I just used the same e-mail and password to create another account.

I'll give the sleep of death thing a try shortly.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
49Kat
Fanatic

I think the sleep of death thing is fixed!
Old 06-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Yes, it appears that SOD is finally fixed, tested several times now and haven't had the issue, I hope it stays that way!
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Vox
& SOD

J do you know if SOD was something addressed in this update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJason View Post
Hi everyone,

We're pleased to announce the availability of over 500,000 apps as part of our support for Google Play™. You can now take advantage of more music, movies, Android™ apps, and games than ever before with the Google Play store app preloaded on the Kobo Vox.

For current Kobo Vox users, Google Play will be automatically included in the software update the next time they connect to the internet.

Best,
Jason
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
49Kat
Fanatic

Hmm...Actually, maybe I spoke too soon.

I put the device into airplane mode and used the button to put it into sleep mode. I left the room for a few minutes, came back in. The Vox was on. I was able to open Overdrive, but then the device froze when I tried to open the book I had been reading. Had to do the 10s holding down the power button thing to turn it off. I'm just powering up right now.

I had forgotten the sleep of death issue involved having the wifi turned off and then putting it in standby and finding the device unusable or only able to perform one or two functions before freezing solid after to taking e it out of sleep mode.