Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Play.google.com

I just discovered this last night and I was doing some checking around. I haven't tried it yet, but I do think it might be possible to install the app on the Vox and buy books from the Google Play book store. I haven't actually purchased any books yet from the Google book store, but I do have some free ones in my Google "library". The Vox is not an officially supported device for their app, but one could download the epub and side load it to the Vox, from what I can see, for use with other reading apps.

Just another shopping option. I've been doing price comparisons between various e-book vendors, and the Google book store looks competitive with Kobo on some titles. Other vendors (Sony and Kindle) are charging more for the titles I've been looking at, but I Kindle tends to carry titles that Kobo doesn't have available.

Has anyone tried the Google Play book app on the Vox?
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
play.google.com is a new name for market.android.com. Google changed the name when they merged google books, google music and the android market.

It is certainly possible to install - root your Vox, then use danifunker's application OogleVox.
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yup, looks like I won't be able to install it without rooting, and I don't want to go through that process. So I'll just download epubs and sideload. It's allright, I certainly have enough reader apps on my Vox.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
KoboJason
Kobo Vox Product Manager
KoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch
Hi Kat,

We're hoping to release the Google Play store along with all the great Google Apps in the coming months as a software update for Vox. In the meantime, I don't recommend you root your Vox since the results can be unpredictable.

If you're having problems finding titles in the Kobo book store, feel free to e-mail help@kobo.com requesting the titles and we can let you know when they might be available.

Best,
Jason
KoboJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJason View Post
Hi Kat,

We're hoping to release the Google Play store along with all the great Google Apps in the coming months as a software update for Vox. In the meantime, I don't recommend you root your Vox since the results can be unpredictable.

If you're having problems finding titles in the Kobo book store, feel free to e-mail help@kobo.com requesting the titles and we can let you know when they might be available.

Best,
Jason
Great news Jason,

In the future that means you won't have to root the vox and use my OogleVox program in order to get the android market- yay!!
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
In the meantime, I don't recommend you root your Vox since the results can be unpredictable.
Hate to say it Jason, but over the past 2 weeks people buying brand new Vox units have been experiencing 'unpredictable' results, and the current benefits from rooting far outweigh any quirks that come along with it. That and you might want to rush that software update, as between now and 'the coming months' the appeal of the Vox may dwindle further.

Oh ya, and allow freakin 3rd party chargers to be used!

Just sayin.

Cheers
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Abacus63
Abacus63 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300, Kindle, Kobo Vox
I'm gonna second the rush request I have an app that I purchased from google play that I really, really, really want to use on my Vox (a study program for an upcoming licensure exam).
I'm such a chicken when it comes to messing with things... I haven't even plugged my Vox into a computer. Purely stock & works great. Love it - but wish google play would recognize it as a device...
Abacus63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
You would be better off sideloading the app than waiting on an update...
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus63 View Post
I'm gonna second the rush request I have an app that I purchased from google play that I really, really, really want to use on my Vox (a study program for an upcoming licensure exam).
I'm such a chicken when it comes to messing with things... I haven't even plugged my Vox into a computer. Purely stock & works great. Love it - but wish google play would recognize it as a device...
In the interm you could always violate the official Kobo recommendation, root the Kobo and then use my app
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
Quote:
Hi Kat,

Best,
Jason
Yeah!!!
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #11
49Kat
Fanatic

Quote:
Hi Kat,

Best,
Jason
Thanks, Jason. Looking forward to it. I have no intention of rooting my Vox.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Abacus63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
You would be better off sideloading the app than waiting on an update...
I absolutely cannot figure out how to get this app onto the vox... my only option in google play is to install to my phone (where it already is installed). I have dropbox & have used it for pictures & such, but I can't find the file for the app at all when I connect the phone to my laptop. Oh how frustrating! Seems like I'm sooo close...
Old 03-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
To sideload, you will need to install a file manager like astro that has a "backup apps" function on your device that has market access. That will allow you to save the apk to transfer to your vox.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #14
Abacus63

I contacted tech support for the app I purchased & they referred me to mobihand.com. I installed a test app from mobihand & the app company is sending me a code to enter so that I won't have to pay for my app again (btw this is the 1st time I have ever paid for an app & it wasn't cheap). I had installed Astro while waiting for their response, but maybe won't need it now... thanks for your help Mr. Nobody
Old 04-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
tardisrosedalek
tardisrosedalek began at the beginning.

Email

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Thanks, Jason. Looking forward to it. I have no intention of rooting my Vox.
I emailed Kobo asking if they could shed some light on Google Play Store support for the Vox and this is what I got:

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care.

I apologize for the lack of information, but unfortunately at this time that information is unknown.

Please feel free to contact us with any future questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
Amanda
The Kobo Team

Not quite the response I was expecting. So I'm not going to get my hopes up for official Google Play Store support.
tardisrosedalek is offline   Reply With Quote