Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
pandelis
pandelis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Amazon precise rating

Hi,

First, thank you very much for this awesome piece of software !!

Is it possible to collect the precise rating from Amazon instead of the rounded ones? The point is that despite we can think that there is not much difference between 4 and 4.5 stars, I don't share this opinion.
Very often it makes the difference between "very good books" and "excellent ones". So it's really a pity. The other interesting field to have would be the number of ratings. In fact it's quite different to have 4 stars with 10 votes than having 4 stars with 150.

Best regards,
pandelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Thread moved, please read this sticky post before posting in the Development sub-forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
I personally don't think there's a difference between 4 and 4.5 or even 1 and 23 when talking about star ratings

For a book to be Good or Excellent or bad etc is all down to your personal subjective taste, and by experience I have found that reviews sites really don't cater for me.

As they are crowd sourced, with a sprinkling of biased reviews, they will always be the lowest common denominator. Also the reviews are only from people who "are the type of people who write reviews" so that is another limitation. What you end up with is just some generic pop culture score which is not really relevent.

Many times I have read an awesome book, then gone to see the reviews and found them to have slated it. The same happens with music, movies and art.

I'm going to use the rating column for my own personal reviews of Authors in General - ie when I read a book by a new author, and like it I will label All their books I have with the same star rating. (I know they can vary widely book 2 book but it will give me a better idea of whether to try another book by that author or try a new author)
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote