Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
McDonald’s oatmeal contains more sugar than a Snickers bar

Quote:
...and only 10 fewer calories than a McDonald’s cheeseburger or Egg McMuffin. (Even without the brown sugar it has more calories than a McDonald’s hamburger.)

The bottom-line question is, “Why?” Why would McDonald’s, which appears every now and then to try to persuade us that it is adding “healthier” foods to its menu, take a venerable ingredient like oatmeal and turn it into expensive junk food? Why create a hideous concoction of 21 ingredients, many of them chemical and/or unnecessary?
Anyone got an answer? I don't.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...oatmeal-wrong/
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Sugar works on the reward pathways in the brain - we quite literally become addicted to it. Oatmeal doesn't - so it makes commercial sense to load apparently "healthy" food with addictive crap so that we will want to have more of it. It is as evil as selling crack at the school gate.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Oatmeal at McDonalds?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:58 AM   #4
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Oatmeal at McDonalds?
i know, right?

i remember having oatmeal every morning for breakfast when i was in high school. we would sometimes squirt chocolate syrup into it. my siblings enjoyed it with milk.

i can't imagine why anyone would order oatmeal at mcdonalds. i mean, oatmeal is easy enough to prepare, even if one argues that they would dine at mcdo for convenience's sake.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:25 AM   #5
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Despite what many might think, fruits are anything but vacant of calories. Dried fruit tend to be worse because the main weight(water) is gone.

So I don't think it's surprising that this oatmeal variant has so many calories.
Of course, they also sweeten it additionally. But I doubt that their additions are the main reason for the high sugar content.

What exactly does "chemical and/or unecessary" mean? Just because it's chemical doesn't mean it's bad. Just as being organic doesn't make it healthy.
I'd never drink organic juice of Atropa belladonna. Nor am I going to guzzle down WD40.
Both are going to be bad for me, but only one would be "chemical".

Generalizations doesn't help. Especially when dealing with food.

Too bad that blog didn't specify just what "11 weird ingredients you would never keep in your kitchen." are supposed to be.

I took a look at the McD site and didn't really find anything that'd surprise me.
I agree that hardly anyone would have them in the kitchen, but that doesn't mean anything. Food prepared in the kitchen isn't supposed to stay 100% fresh for days and/or be completely free of any germs - and still look perfect.

Here's the ingredient list:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McD oatmeal ingredients
Ingredients (Allergen statement in ALL CAPS.)Back To Top

Oatmeal without Brown Sugar
Whole grain rolled oats, food starch-modified, maltodextrin, natural flavor (plant source), barley malt extract, caramel color.

Cranberry Raisin Blend
Dried sweetened cranberries (sugar, cranberries), California raisins, golden raisins, sunflower oil, sulfur dioxide (preservative).

Diced Apples
Apples, calcium ascorbate (a blend of calcium and vitamin C to maintain freshness and color).

Light Cream
Milk, cream, sodium phosphate, datem, sodium stearoyl lactylate, sodium citrate, carrageenan.

CONTAINS: MILK.
There's few in there that I'd consider suspicious. Modified starch by virtue of not being more descriptive of course.
Sodium Stearoyl lactylate sounds horrible but doesn't look too bad if you look it up in Wikipedia.

I had to look up "datem" too, but found it's the same stuff you find almost anywhere in processed food.

--

In case anyones still reading: I'm not saying this stuff is good. Or that McD does the right thing by selling THAT as healthy.
But just because it's from McD or processed food doesn't mean it's going to kill us all.
I would welcome more strict rules for advertising. As it is, I'm glad they (have to) provide complete lists of what they're putting into the stuff.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 06:09 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
But just because it's from McD or processed food doesn't mean it's going to kill us all.
True. The additives help McDonalds have a consistent, easy to prepare and long-life product, and are almost certainly not harmful in any way.

But personally, if I'm having porridge oats, the ingredients list would look like this:

Water, Rolled oats, honey, iodised salt*.

* I'm not wholly against chemicals in food. A bit of added iodine is a good thing, and the same applies to several other additives.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #7
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Whatever McDonalds is doing it works on me. They are inside my head with a direct line to my taste buds. If they don't get me with the oatmeal, theyll get me with the pies, if they don't get me with the pies, theyll get me with the cookies, if that doesn't work, the smoothie is there. And don't get me started on the tea!
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #8
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
speaking of mcdonald's, i plan to have an early lunch there tomorrow before class. breakfast is available until 10:30 am. hehe
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
When you all go home tonight take a look at the common foods that you have around your home and look at the amount of salt and sugar that you have in everything. You will find it shocking. I found sugar in mustard (scratching my head I exclaimed "they put shugar in this stuff").
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Sugar, like salt, is used to enhance certain flavours. I heard if you are baking onions, you should add a bit of sugar before adding the chopped onions. The standard ingredients of mustard are ground mustard seeds, vinegar, water, sugar and salt...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Sugar works on the reward pathways in the brain - we quite literally become addicted to it. Oatmeal doesn't - so it makes commercial sense to load apparently "healthy" food with addictive crap so that we will want to have more of it. It is as evil as selling crack at the school gate.
I think that the they should be able to sell any food they want. You are buying the food knowing very well that McDonald's is by far not the healthiest place to eat

Now I wouldn't eat the Oatmeal but only because I don't like my Oatmeal to taste like the crap that comes from the microwave. If someone is dumb enough to think that McDonald's can produce something healthy they are out of their minds. Have you seen the "healthy" apple slices they serve smothered in caramel.

Last edited by The Terminator; 02-24-2011 at 11:52 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #12
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Have you seen the "healthy" apple slices they serve smothered in caramel.
The apple slices are healthy if you lick the caramel off before you eat them...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #13
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
I think that the they should be able to sell any food they want, why should the government be able to say how much fat/calories are in the food. You are buying the food knowing very well that McDonald's is by far not the healthiest place to eat
Does the government tell them how much fat/calories McDonalds can put in their food? I was not aware of that.

Or are you saying you object to the government telling McDonalds they must tell consumers what is in the food they sell?
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #14
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I didn't think it was all that good. Now I know just to go for the hotcakes anyway.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:03 AM   #15
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
I think that the they should be able to sell any food they want, why should the government be able to say how much fat/calories are in the food. You are buying the food knowing very well that McDonald's is by far not the healthiest place to eat

Now I wouldn't eat the Oatmeal but only because I don't like my Oatmeal to taste like the crap that comes from the microwave. If someone is dumb enough to think that McDonald's can produce something healthy they are out of their minds. Have you seen the "healthy" apple slices they serve smothered in caramel.
Why should they be able to sell food if it is harming people?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote