Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-19-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
Sexton Blake
Sexton Blake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader
What are your COLLECTION categories?

Hi Folks

UK newbie here. Just wondering, what categories have you used in the Collection function? Mine are:

Apocalyptic
Because I love novels about survivors

Comics
Because I love Dilbert (these are the only PDFs on my reader)

Detective
For Sherlock Holmes and Nero Wolfe et cetera

Fantasy
Mainly Robert E. Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs

Hard Sci-Fi
This is for the likes of Peter F. Hamilton and Vernor Vinge

Soft Sci-Fi
For the stuff that's less spaceship oriented

Weird
Cthulhu and other horror

Misc
All the rest

What about you?
Sexton Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
don't keep enough to bother. it all fits on 1 or 2 screens. if i can't find it i've gone blind.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, Sexton Blake.

I guess I'm not so imaginative. I have one called "My Books" that I use as kind of an on-board reading shelf (Hmm. perhaps I'll re-name that one "Reading Shelf" ). One called "Bible" ... guess that's pretty self-explanatory, except that I have one full copy, and another variation that's broken up into ~37 separate "weekly reading" files). One called "Manual" that I keep the Reader's manual in (which shouldn't be taken to imply that I actually read the manual at all ). And one called "Travel Dox" that I put things like maps and directions into when I'm traveling (it's empty at the moment).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Since almost everything I read is part of a series of books I've grouped them according to series title which allows me to arrange the books inside in chronological order.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Hi Sexton Blake and welcome.

Quote:
Hi Folks

UK newbie here. Just wondering, what categories have you used in the Collection function? Mine are:

Apocalyptic
Because I love novels about survivors
That sound interesting. I don't think I'm familiar with apocalyptic fiction. Care to recommend one?
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You probably are, and just don't recognize it by that name, David Brin's The Postman would be one example.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I'm not familiar with The Postman. But I think I understand what genre you're referring to. Is it anything like a A Canticle for Leibowitz?
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

Hah! I haven't thought about the Canticle in years! Yes, that's definitely the same genre.

I read about the first half of that while I was working in a bookstore in college (I'd just pick up a used copy and read it when I had a few minutes). I keep meaning to go back and finish it, though I'd have to re-start it now, as it's been ... 12~13 years. (where does the time go?)
Old 03-19-2007, 04:40 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Actually, Canticle and Postman are examples of post-apocalyptic fiction. But I guess they're pretty close to use one category for both
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:12 PM   #10
Plowman
Plowman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
I usually like to group series together to make them easier to find. This works well for me since I have 25-30 books on the reader at any given time.

They would basically be like this:

Green, Simon R. - Nightside
Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:52 PM   #11
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Wow, thats where I get oblivious to simple things. I'm going to be putting together some collections tonight. Mine will be as follows:

Fiction & Literature
Sports
Politics
Spirituality
Sales & Marketing
Humor

Good stuff, thanks for the unintended suggestion
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I just use the normal book list. It does make for some strange bedfellows such as Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead between to Greg Bear's Foundation and Chaos and Ben Franklin's Autobiography. The last will I think be a constant resident of the Reader and may be the second most read book for me of all time. (The Bible is still number one by a very wide margin.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:24 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Interesting. My groupings are by Author

This is what I have:

Algernon Blackwood
Dostoevsky
Ernest Bramah
Haruki Murakami
James Rollins
Marcel Proust
Pulps
Purchased (23 novels not yet read!!!)
Sax Rohmer
Simon R. Green
Tobias Smollett
Wilkie Collins
William Hope Hodgson

So there you have it!

Cheers,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:34 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Here are mine:

Read
Unread

Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

How do you ever keep so many categories straight, Alex?