Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
NanoWriMo anyone?

Just wondering if anyone is participating? I guess I'm considering it since I'm finishing up my current project and haven't gotten that novel from my goals list written yet this year....

http://nanowrimo.org/

Last edited by kennyc; 10-19-2013 at 06:52 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Just wondering if anyone is participating? I guess I'm considering it since I'm finishing up my current project and haven't gotten that novel from my goals list written yet this year....

http://nanowrimo.org/
Go for it! You can do it! Rah! Rah! Rah!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Maybe? I'm waffling between two ideas.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I was going to, but my current work project's insanely busy. Quite apart from the time and travel involved, my brain would find it difficult to shift from IT project manager mode to creative writing mode as often as needed.

I've got a fairly detailed outline in search of a better ending ready though.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've got a couple of sketchy ideas but that's about all.....

I was checking it out a bit and learned that 'Water for Elephants' started/was a Nanowrimo novel....
Old 10-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Would love to, but have to hand in my PhD thesis at the end of november, so..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
kennyc

Slacker.....

Old 10-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Wah wah..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I plan to try. I've got a rough 7 point outline worked out in Scrivener already. Have to get round to working out some more details yet of course.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
kennyc

Cool. I'm kinda warming to the idea.....just looked over the two sketches/ideas I have had sitting for a while....I really think either one might work....my biggest challenge will be getting in a 'fiction' frame of mind and of course just cranking the words out.

It would allow me to check off that goal from my list for this year which I'd kind of given up on....
Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Still doing that 90-day novel with proper outlining and assignments (which makes it more like a course) and that won't be done before end of November. On the other hand, NaNoWriMo would be an opportunity to try out full-on "pantsing" without an outline. 1600 words a day isn't overly much.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
kennyc

I did nanowrimo once ages ago. Anyone have particular tips as to how to make it work?

I don't think I would have trouble with the word count, but maybe more with the story, plot, scenes, dialogue....wait, that's everything isn't it.

Stephen King says he just gets a character and a situation and writes....I've definitely got a character and a situation.....
Old 10-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did nanowrimo once ages ago. Anyone have particular tips as to how to make it work?
Everyone's different, but I think that to get a coherent first draft completed in the month you do need an outline. You're likely to need a lot more words in the limited time otherwise.

Hitting the 50,000 target actually wasn't too hard when I did it last year, and I always felt that it was in reach as I stayed on track throughout with words per day, so the goal quite quickly became getting to the end of the story, rather than hitting the wordcount target. I managed to bring it to its conclusion after 61,000 words within the month.

The draft itself is of immensely variable quality, but I got great satisfaction out of completing it and the simple act of hacking out that number of words has definitely improved my writing.

Graham
Old 10-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
kennyc

Thanks Graham, I agree that 'hacking out the words for a novel' can definitely improve one's writing. That certainly was my experience long ago (almost 20 years ago now...eeek!) when I was pushing very very hard with my fiction ... several really bad novels at that time, but I learned a ton.

P.S. just signed up over at the nano site - kennych
but still not certain I'll do this....definitely leaning that way though...
Old 10-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
P.S. just signed up over at the nano site - kennych
Just being part of it is fun. Lots of videos and pep talks, and it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Graham